Royal Caribbean posts 2Q loss, slashes forecast

There just aren't that many US ports that accommodate pax ships, thus scattering ships to new home ports would likely require a sizeable investment on the part of the cruise lines to make existing cargo ports pax-friendly. Unfortunately, ports that aren't located within a reasonable distance from densely populated areas which would allow pax the option to drive rather than fly, would do nothing to ameliorate the spiraling cost of flying which is surely at least one of the factors adversely affecting bookings and/or onboard spending.

There are several existing cruise port that are now empty. I bet Mobile, Houston, and a couple of others along the east coast, let alone the west coast would jump to get ships back to existing ports.

We are flying to London next month and got a British Air daytime flight from Boston to Heathrow for about $400-500. That is a pretty good one-way fare and since we are cruising from the UK to Boston, a one way flight is all we will require.:)

British Air, are they a new airline? Never seen them in the UK before, or did you mean, British Airways? Lol

In the UK APD (Government Airline Tax) places a massive financial burden onto individuals and families booking airline tickets. Maybe about time cruise companies and other holiday providers got together with the airlines to fight for a much farer tax,or just get rid of it all together.

There are several existing cruise port that are now empty. I bet Mobile, Houston, and a couple of others along the east coast, let alone the west coast would jump to get ships back to existing ports.

Yes! Please! Bring a ship to Mobile AL RCI! Great cruise port with ZERO competition.

Crazy question - How does one go about buying shares? Thanks.

The easiest way to buy RCI or any other stock is through an on-line brokerage. You're usually required to make a minimum deposit in the account and then buy. That being said, stock trading is not for the faint of heart. Before you buy, do some reading on how the market works. Some of my favorite authors are Peter Lynch, Jim Cramer, and Benjamin Graham.

What has changed that makes the west coast more attractive when there are so many other areas besides Europe where they can deploy their ships and offer a wider range of itineraries. Has the economy on the West Coast dramatically improved, have they discovered a number of new itinerary options, has public perception of crime and other problems associated with Mexico suddenly changed? IMO a lot more things beyond problems in Europe, will have to happen first. RCI and other lines have already begun reducing their presence in Europe and they are moving their ships to many other locations which, so far at least, don't include the West Coast.

A lot has changed just put your emotions aside and open your Eyes. Princess has announced putting a ship in San Francisco year round, All the lines are showing positive metrics in Alaska. California's economy is improving.

I have too agree 100%. Flying out of a small airport with limited choice the airfare is more than the cruise costs. We are booked in the Med. next summer and we are staring at a airfare cost of $4500.00. And all we get is a crappy airline meal coupled with a huge hassel. The 16 hour airfare costs the same as a 2400 hour cruise. Something is wrong.:eek:

No...you get expeditious travel to Europe! Isn't that what you want? Or are booking for the meal? wahhh...the food is bad on the plane, wahhh, the food is bad on the ship. Why leave home? Or is your food bad, too? LOL. Passengers always complained about airline food, but they complain even louder when they don't get airline food! (most domestic flights)

.........Is this an April's fools Day hoax?....... Just 'cause Gov.Moonbeam says it doesn't mean it is......;)

#'s don't lie, put your political feelings aside and look at the facts. According to the title of the thread anyone with half a brain could conclude April is in the books.:eek:

No...you get expeditious travel to Europe! Isn't that what you want? Or are booking for the meal? wahhh...the food is bad on the plane, wahhh, the food is bad on the ship. Why leave home? Or is your food bad, too? LOL. Passengers always complained about airline food, but they complain even louder when they don't get airline food! (most domestic flights)

........well EXCUSE ME Mr.Moneybags........$4500.00 is alot of money in my book but by your bragging list you are a world brageller...er...traveler. and money is no object..Please pass the Gray Poupon?..:cool:Wahhhh

#'s don't lie, put your political feelings aside and look at the facts. According to the title of the thread anyone with half a brain could conclude April is in the books.:eek:

#'s don't lie....check out the state deficit and how many cities and towns are bankrupt....and the exit of productive citizens.....Seems to be a dust cloud leading to the great state of Texas....numbers don't lie....:eek:

#'s don't lie....check out the state deficit and how many cities and towns are bankrupt....and the exit of productive citizens.....Seems to be a dust cloud leading to the great state of Texas....numbers don't lie....:eek:

#'s don't lie and Texas is still behind Cali.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_by_GDP

#'s don't lie and Texas is still behind Cali.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_by_GDP

I believe Cali has the lowest s/p rating of all 50states. I believe Texas is around 3 notches above Cali. I have a list of states that I will not buy a muni in and Cali is at the top of the list.

To be fair you can earn a very good return by buying Cali munies, maybe 6% +,but they have to pay to attract investors because their credit rating is in the toilet.

To move a ship to Cali is a huge investment for any cruise line. 75% of rci income comes from bookings of cabins. Because of Cali Econ the rates rci could charge would be suppressed. Also, fuel is one of rcis largest expenses and where are some of the highest fuel prices in the USA, why Cali of course.

So, low revenue and high expenses, not good for investors.

........well EXCUSE ME Mr.Moneybags........$4500.00 is alot of money in my book but by your bragging list you are a world brageller...er...traveler. and money is no object..Please pass the Gray Poupon?..:cool:Wahhhh

Yes, $4500 is a lot of money, and I would NOT pay that for airfare. However, the complaining seemed more about the "crappy food" and other aspects. And, it's "Grey", not "Gray"....LOL LOL

...O.K. you win..Cali. is the best ever....see you in bankruptcy court where the Feds. will probably pick my pocket to support the unsupportable....:cool:

It's not about winning or losing I was just stating Facts not opinion.

I have too agree 100%. Flying out of a small airport with limited choice the airfare is more than the cruise costs. We are booked in the Med. next summer and we are staring at a airfare cost of $4500.00. And all we get is a crappy airline meal coupled with a huge hassel. The 16 hour airfare costs the same as a 2400 hour cruise. Something is wrong.:eek:

Where can I find a 100 day cruise on RCI!.... hehe :p:D

Archived