Scared of Montego Bay!

missyk55

I am cruising to Montego Bay in October with my husband and I have read so many bad things about it!:eek: I am almost afraid to get off of the boat but I have booked the Rose Hall excursion for us. Does anyone have any good experiences at Montego Bay?

My daughter (who was 15 at the time) & I, and my friend & her daughter (who was 10), went there on a Conquest cruise back in '07. We were like you - a little anxious about Montego Bay.

However, we found out about Sunset Beach, and all inclusive resort with beach, pool, and all the food & drink you want for the day, and booked it. (Now you can get it through "Jamaica-for-a-Day" website - $60pp) It's about 5-10 minutes from the ship (you can SEE the ship from the resort). We had a wonderful time. We were never hasseled by anyone, and had a nice relaxing day. The pool is beautiful (think lazy river, awesome slides, walk-in pool, etc) with plenty of chairs and shade if you want it. We didn't drink alcohol, so cannot comment on that, but the food was good and plentiful.

I did my research before we got there. When we ported at Jamaica, you enter a building that is also the customs building. There are a few shops in there, but no one really bothered us. A man in a uniform met us inside and asked if we needed a cab. I told him we had reservations at Sunset Beach, and he directed us to a cab. I had read to ONLY get in the JUTA cabs (with red tags), but I've read that they are the only ones allowed at the port. I also made sure of the price BEFORE we got in the cab. ($5pp) (It may be a different price to go where you are going). (The resort now offers pre-paid transport for $9pp roundtrip. However, if there are a number of people on your cruise going to the resort, you may have to wait on the slow-pokes to get off the ship & catch their ride. It's just as easy to catch a cab, and its not that far, and you only save $1pp by getting the resort transport)

The cab driver was very nice and friendly and chatted with us on the 5 minute drive over. He dropped us off, we went in, showed them our reservations and spent a very happy day on the beach and at the pool.

You can take your own snorkle equipment, or they rent it too I think. They had kayaks to play in the ocean, but that is the only "toys" I saw there.

When it was time to head back to the ship, we walked out the entrance, one of the resort employees helped us flag a cab (they are plentiful) and we were back on our way to the ship.

We shopped around the stores at the port for a while (kind of like an indoor mini-mall). Got in line for customs, and got back on the ship. As they say in Jamaica "No problem".

I would highly recommend Sunset (that is where we are going on our next cruise in Sept also). Since you already have an excursion chosen, just do your homework (look up taxi fares & ONLY use JUTA cabs w/red tags). If you do want to go somewhere else decide that NOW, and not on the spot.

My son & his wife went the next year after we did, and he didn't follow my instructions, and got in a cab (after they went to Sunset for a while) and told the driver they wanted to go do a little shopping, site seeing, and find a good place to eat. The driver took them to some VERY questionable places, and my son said they were starting to get a little uncomfortable, not knowing where they were. He took them to some shopping & to a place to eat that they figured was the cabbies' "friends" establishments. He was offered drugs and weed numerous times. But, the big surprise came when they said they wanted to go back to the ship and the cabbie wanted $150. My son about flipped! My DIL was just whispering "pay the guy - we have to get back on the ship!" He finally got it down to $80, but they were scared they weren't going to make it back if they didn't pay him.

BUT, in the cabbies defense - maybe he DID give them $150 in service - I don't know. I've seen cab "tours" for that much, and it might have been a miscommunication. But, if you don't want any surprises, research here on Cruise Critic where you want to go, how much its going to cost, and decide before you go what you are going to do and you should be fine. Just be very prepared.

As for me, I just liked the quick trip to the resort and not having to worry about anything the rest of the day.

My daughter (who was 15 at the time) & I, and my friend & her daughter (who was 10), went there on a Conquest cruise back in '07. We were like you - a little anxious about Montego Bay.

However, we found out about Sunset Beach, and all inclusive resort with beach, pool, and all the food & drink you want for the day, and booked it. (Now you can get it through "Jamaica-for-a-Day" website - $60pp) It's about 5-10 minutes from the ship (you can SEE the ship from the resort). We had a wonderful time. We were never hasseled by anyone, and had a nice relaxing day. The pool is beautiful (think lazy river, awesome slides, walk-in pool, etc) with plenty of chairs and shade if you want it. We didn't drink alcohol, so cannot comment on that, but the food was good and plentiful.

I did my research before we got there. When we ported at Jamaica, you enter a building that is also the customs building. There are a few shops in there, but no one really bothered us. A man in a uniform met us inside and asked if we needed a cab. I told him we had reservations at Sunset Beach, and he directed us to a cab. I had read to ONLY get in the JUTA cabs (with red tags), but I've read that they are the only ones allowed at the port. I also made sure of the price BEFORE we got in the cab. ($5pp) (It may be a different price to go where you are going). (The resort now offers pre-paid transport for $9pp roundtrip. However, if there are a number of people on your cruise going to the resort, you may have to wait on the slow-pokes to get off the ship & catch their ride. It's just as easy to catch a cab, and its not that far, and you only save $1pp by getting the resort transport)

The cab driver was very nice and friendly and chatted with us on the 5 minute drive over. He dropped us off, we went in, showed them our reservations and spent a very happy day on the beach and at the pool.

You can take your own snorkle equipment, or they rent it too I think. They had kayaks to play in the ocean, but that is the only "toys" I saw there.

When it was time to head back to the ship, we walked out the entrance, one of the resort employees helped us flag a cab (they are plentiful) and we were back on our way to the ship.

We shopped around the stores at the port for a while (kind of like an indoor mini-mall). Got in line for customs, and got back on the ship. As they say in Jamaica "No problem".

I would highly recommend Sunset (that is where we are going on our next cruise in Sept also). Since you already have an excursion chosen, just do your homework (look up taxi fares & ONLY use JUTA cabs w/red tags). If you do want to go somewhere else decide that NOW, and not on the spot.

My son & his wife went the next year after we did, and he didn't follow my instructions, and got in a cab (after they went to Sunset for a while) and told the driver they wanted to go do a little shopping, site seeing, and find a good place to eat. The driver took them to some VERY questionable places, and my son said they were starting to get a little uncomfortable, not knowing where they were. He took them to some shopping & to a place to eat that they figured was the cabbies' "friends" establishments. He was offered drugs and weed numerous times. But, the big surprise came when they said they wanted to go back to the ship and the cabbie wanted $150. My son about flipped! My DIL was just whispering "pay the guy - we have to get back on the ship!" He finally got it down to $80, but they were scared they weren't going to make it back if they didn't pay him.

BUT, in the cabbies defense - maybe he DID give them $150 in service - I don't know. I've seen cab "tours" for that much, and it might have been a miscommunication. But, if you don't want any surprises, research here on Cruise Critic where you want to go, how much its going to cost, and decide before you go what you are going to do and you should be fine. Just be very prepared.

As for me, I just liked the quick trip to the resort and not having to worry about anything the rest of the day.

Thank you for the reply! I think we will be fine as long as we stick with the excursion! Have a great day!!;)

I am cruising to Montego Bay in October with my husband and I have read so many bad things about it!:eek: I am almost afraid to get off of the boat but I have booked the Rose Hall excursion for us. Does anyone have any good experiences at Montego Bay?

Kim, try not to worry. You'll have a great time. :)

We have enjoyed doing things in Mo Bay ... but we ALWAYS book excursions though the ship there.

Kim, try not to worry. You'll have a great time. :)

We have enjoyed doing things in Mo Bay ... but we ALWAYS book excursions though the ship there.

Thank you so much! We are going to book the Rose Hall excursion through Carnival! :)

Have you joined the roll call on Cruise Critic for your specific sailing yet? If not, do so and start communicating with others that will be on your cruise so you can get ideas. Maybe some others will want to hire one of the private tour guides and do something. There are many that come highly recommended on CC. Another option is to go to an all inclusive for the day. You can go to the Sunset beach resort for 69 pp and that includes transportation, your lunch, and all drinks including alcohol for the day. They also have a water park there which is included and a swim up bar and a lazy river. The link is below

http://www.jamaicaforaday.com/Jamaica_Shore_Excursion.html

The the OP - What is included in the Rose Hall Excursion? If you are hitting White Witch of Rose hall house - it would be no different than visiting a museum in North America. I have done several zipline excursions through Chukka (the white witch canapy tour is FANTASTIC) and the staff is top notch. Extremely well trained and their equiment meets our safety standards (or so says my hubby who works in the construction industry).

In terms of MoBay, I am an admittely nervous traveller. If you are asked to buy anything (and I do mean anything)that you are not interested in, a polite no thank you will generally suffice. I say generally becasue I find no matter where you are you will find extremely aggressive folks. If you visit somewhere like the "hip strip" in Mobay (a very popular tourist/shopping destination), I have found a new favorite line - "no thanks, just on my way to margarittaville" it has worked everytime. :)

In January we will be taking our third vacation at an all inclusive resort in MoBay in the last three years. I have never felt unsafe (no moreso than when I visit any other large city). As always, common sense should prevail. You will have a great time. Jamaica is a beautiful country. I don't think I will likely ever cruise there becasue I would be far too sad to only be able to spend less than a day. Cheers

Have you joined the roll call on Cruise Critic for your specific sailing yet? If not, do so and start communicating with others that will be on your cruise so you can get ideas. Maybe some others will want to hire one of the private tour guides and do something. There are many that come highly recommended on CC. Another option is to go to an all inclusive for the day. You can go to the Sunset beach resort for 69 pp and that includes transportation, your lunch, and all drinks including alcohol for the day. They also have a water park there which is included and a swim up bar and a lazy river. The link is below

http://www.jamaicaforaday.com/Jamaica_Shore_Excursion.html

Yes, I have joined the roll call for my cruise. The Jamaicaforaday sounds good! The only thing that would worry me would be if they did not get me back to the ship on time. But I am going to talk it over with my husband, because it would be something to do all day and not just spend three hours and go back to the ship. Have you ever been to Sunset Beach Resort from a cruise?

Yes, I have joined the roll call for my cruise. The Jamaicaforaday sounds good! The only thing that would worry me would be if they did not get me back to the ship on time. But I am going to talk it over with my husband, because it would be something to do all day and not just spend three hours and go back to the ship. Have you ever been to Sunset Beach Resort from a cruise?

Kim, Do NOT worry about getting back to the ship on time if you go to Sunset Beach - especially if your ship is in port at Montego Bay. You are only 5+ minutes from the resort by taxi (or resort transport - whatever you choose). You will actually be able to see the ship from the top of the waterslide in their pool. I believe, if you check the Jamaica for a Day website, it says they transport you back 1 1/2 hours BEFORE the ship sails, so that is PLENTY of time.

Since my husband is going w/me this time (instead of my teen daughter on the previous cruise to Jamaica) we had considered doing something different than Sunset. Maybe a public beach, Hip Strip & a public restaurant. However, we really do NOT want to be bothered by someone on the street trying to sell us drugs. It doesn't matter if "no" is all you need to say - it's just a little scary to me. I don't mind pushy shop people who are just trying to make a living, but I don't want someone approaching me and trying to push something illegal.

So, we opted for a nice, easy relaxing day at Sunset. I made our reservations through the Jamaica for a Day website, paid our $20pp by Paypal, and will pay the remaining $40pp by travelers checks when we get there. (we did not get resort transporation - we'll just do the cab over so we can leave & come back when we wish). We always use travelers checks, so if you do be sure to carry your picture ID w/you.

I also carry a small fanny pack that I wear when we are in the ocean or pool w/all of our valuables (ID's, money, sail & sign cards, etc) I just put everything in DOUBLE zip locks, and it works just fine. I do this on ANY island we visit. Of course, we don't carry our phones anyway, and our camera is waterproof.

You will not have to worry about missing the ship if you go to Sunset. It's very, very close to port. Its a clean, safe, relatively cheap way to enjoy the day. The resort is beautiful. I don't think you would be unhappy with your choice, if this is what you decide.

The Montego bay ship port is not big - meaning you don't have this long gangway to run down & catch your ship. You basically walk into the customs building, and there are a few shops in there if you want to look around a little before you get aboard ship. The line wasn't very long when we boarded ship (because we got back plenty early!) so going through customs was painless. We were back on ship WAY before it sailed.

IF for any reason you were anxious about your transport getting you back to the ship on time, there will be plenty of taxis available at the resort and you could always catch one there - and its literally only about 5 minutes. Everyone advises to only get in a JUTA taxi with a red tag in the window. And always make your "deal" with the driver BEFORE you enter his taxi on where you are going & how much.

But, I cannot see any reason why there would be a problem with the resort transport. But, as they state on their website, they only make 2 trips - one over, and one back. They aren't a taxi service. So, if for some reason you decide you want to leave earlier, you would have to take a taxi. And, if for some reason you were late catching it that morning, you would have to catch a taxi. That is why we are just doing a taxi. We won't have to worry about a time schedule on transport, waiting on other pokey passengers to board the bus, etc.

Whatever you do - have fun!

Kim...if I am not mistaken, the Magic is in MoBay from 900-600. For the extra 21.00, I would go to the Hilton Rose Hall instead of the Sunset beach. Through Jamaica for a day, with transportation, it's 90 insteadof 69. The food choices at the Hilton include buffet, grill and ala carte sit down and better quality and I am assuming the drinks will be better as well. The ratings on Tripadvisor are substantially better for the Hilton Rose Hall than for the Sunset Beach. The only thing that the Sunset Beach has going for it is that it is 5 minutes away from the port. If you do decide to go to the Hilton, they will pick you up at 945, you'll get there at 1015 and you'll leave the Hilton at 400, getting back to the ship with 1 1/2 hours to spare. We're only going to be in MoBay from 700-300 when we visit in January on the Breeze, so we would only be at the Hilton from 945-100. Because of the short time, I don't know if I want to drop 90 bucks on it, but since you'll have 6 hours there, you'll get your money's worth. :)

Kim...if I am not mistaken, the Magic is in MoBay from 900-600. For the extra 21.00, I would go to the Hilton Rose Hall instead of the Sunset beach. Through Jamaica for a day, with transportation, it's 90 insteadof 69. The food choices at the Hilton include buffet, grill and ala carte sit down and better quality and I am assuming the drinks will be better as well. The ratings on Tripadvisor are substantially better for the Hilton Rose Hall than for the Sunset Beach. The only thing that the Sunset Beach has going for it is that it is 5 minutes away from the port. If you do decide to go to the Hilton, they will pick you up at 945, you'll get there at 1015 and you'll leave the Hilton at 400, getting back to the ship with 1 1/2 hours to spare. We're only going to be in MoBay from 700-300 when we visit in January on the Breeze, so we would only be at the Hilton from 945-100. Because of the short time, I don't know if I want to drop 90 bucks on it, but since you'll have 6 hours there, you'll get your money's worth. :)

Thank you for the reply and help. We are interested in doing something like Hilton or Sunset, so we will look at them and make up our minds. You have also made me feel better about Montego Bay in general. I am not quite as worried. Thank you very much!!

Kim, Do NOT worry about getting back to the ship on time if you go to Sunset Beach - especially if your ship is in port at Montego Bay. You are only 5+ minutes from the resort by taxi (or resort transport - whatever you choose). You will actually be able to see the ship from the top of the waterslide in their pool. I believe, if you check the Jamaica for a Day website, it says they transport you back 1 1/2 hours BEFORE the ship sails, so that is PLENTY of time.

Since my husband is going w/me this time (instead of my teen daughter on the previous cruise to Jamaica) we had considered doing something different than Sunset. Maybe a public beach, Hip Strip & a public restaurant. However, we really do NOT want to be bothered by someone on the street trying to sell us drugs. It doesn't matter if "no" is all you need to say - it's just a little scary to me. I don't mind pushy shop people who are just trying to make a living, but I don't want someone approaching me and trying to push something illegal.

So, we opted for a nice, easy relaxing day at Sunset. I made our reservations through the Jamaica for a Day website, paid our $20pp by Paypal, and will pay the remaining $40pp by travelers checks when we get there. (we did not get resort transporation - we'll just do the cab over so we can leave & come back when we wish). We always use travelers checks, so if you do be sure to carry your picture ID w/you.

I also carry a small fanny pack that I wear when we are in the ocean or pool w/all of our valuables (ID's, money, sail & sign cards, etc) I just put everything in DOUBLE zip locks, and it works just fine. I do this on ANY island we visit. Of course, we don't carry our phones anyway, and our camera is waterproof.

You will not have to worry about missing the ship if you go to Sunset. It's very, very close to port. Its a clean, safe, relatively cheap way to enjoy the day. The resort is beautiful. I don't think you would be unhappy with your choice, if this is what you decide.

The Montego bay ship port is not big - meaning you don't have this long gangway to run down & catch your ship. You basically walk into the customs building, and there are a few shops in there if you want to look around a little before you get aboard ship. The line wasn't very long when we boarded ship (because we got back plenty early!) so going through customs was painless. We were back on ship WAY before it sailed.

IF for any reason you were anxious about your transport getting you back to the ship on time, there will be plenty of taxis available at the resort and you could always catch one there - and its literally only about 5 minutes. Everyone advises to only get in a JUTA taxi with a red tag in the window. And always make your "deal" with the driver BEFORE you enter his taxi on where you are going & how much.

But, I cannot see any reason why there would be a problem with the resort transport. But, as they state on their website, they only make 2 trips - one over, and one back. They aren't a taxi service. So, if for some reason you decide you want to leave earlier, you would have to take a taxi. And, if for some reason you were late catching it that morning, you would have to catch a taxi. That is why we are just doing a taxi. We won't have to worry about a time schedule on transport, waiting on other pokey passengers to board the bus, etc.

Whatever you do - have fun!

Thank you for your help and for the idea about the fanny pack. I always worry about my bag when we get in the water somewhere.. My husband is very interested in Sunset and I think I will book it. Thanks again!!

Kim - I think you will enjoy it. Believe me - I know how anxious you are about Jamaica! I want to be able to get off the ship, but I want to be safe too. But, ship excursions are usually SO expensive! But, this one is a great price, and since its so close to the ship, and very little travel time back & forth I feel very comfortable with it.

We had a lot of fun when we were there - I hope you do too!

Your welcome about the fannie pack idea. It works pretty good. We also bring our own snorkel equipment, but I think they may rent stuff too. But, all that is completely up to you. A relaxing day by the pool or beach is great.

Have fun on your cruise!

Kim - I think you will enjoy it. Believe me - I know how anxious you are about Jamaica! I want to be able to get off the ship, but I want to be safe too. But, ship excursions are usually SO expensive! But, this one is a great price, and since its so close to the ship, and very little travel time back & forth I feel very comfortable with it.

We had a lot of fun when we were there - I hope you do too!

Your welcome about the fannie pack idea. It works pretty good. We also bring our own snorkel equipment, but I think they may rent stuff too. But, all that is completely up to you. A relaxing day by the pool or beach is great.

Have fun on your cruise!

With regards to the quality of the buffet, the grill, and the alcohol at the Sunset beach, can you please enlighten me? I am assuming it was Red Stripe on tap? Was it all no name bar brand alcohol? Thanks.

With regards to the quality of the buffet, the grill, and the alcohol at the Sunset beach, can you please enlighten me? I am assuming it was Red Stripe on tap? Was it all no name bar brand alcohol? Thanks.

SNJ - I wish I could help you here, but I didn't drink anything alcoholic when I visited in '07. I'm not really much of a drinker anyway (just an ocassional margarita). But, that year, I was traveling w/my 15 yr old daughter, and a friend w/her 12 yr old. We were responsible for those kiddos, so we didn't drink anything.

I know they had mixed drinks. As for beer, I couldn't tell you. Maybe their website would tell you, or I believe there is an email address on their website and you could ask.

It's been so long, I couldn't comment specifically on the food. I just remember we liked it okay. It wasn't really a buffet then - just more like a very small grill. But I think there is a grill & buffet now. The recent reviews I've read on these forum state that people really enjoy the grill.

For the non-drinkers (basically like me), I do remember getting the "virgin" drinks that were very good, and I think they had soft drinks.

Sorry - that's all I know. Maybe someone else that has been recently can help you with this question.

Thank you for your help and for the idea about the fanny pack. I always worry about my bag when we get in the water somewhere.. My husband is very interested in Sunset and I think I will book it. Thanks again!!

Read post # 5 in the thread below about a recent attendee at the Hilton.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1637238

Read post # 5 in the thread below about a recent attendee at the Hilton.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1637238

I read it and now I don't know which one to try. :confused:. They both sound awesome. I was leaning toward Sunset because of the lazy river (I love those ) but the post let me know that Hilton has one too. At least I have a while to make up my mind since we don't sail until October. Thanks so much for your help!!:)

I read it and now I don't know which one to try. :confused:. They both sound awesome. I was leaning toward Sunset because of the lazy river (I love those ) but the post let me know that Hilton has one too. At least I have a while to make up my mind since we don't sail until October. Thanks so much for your help!!:)

Kim.....after reading the review on CC and after scanning the reviews on Tripadvisor, the Hilton is the way to go. It is 90 versus 69 for the Sunset beach, but the quality difference between the two resorts is the main plus for the Hilton. The Hilton resort has the reputation and name to uphold and they will not let the place become somewhat rundown, which seems to be the main complaint about Sunset. Scan the reviews on Tripadvisor and you'll see what I mean. With regards to the lazy river at Sunset, I saw one review where the gentleman was frustrated because they only had 3 innertubes at Sunset and when he complained, they told him he could purchase one at the gift shop.

You're quite welcome for my help. I like to "pay it forward" on these boards. ;)

My daughter and I used Admiral Bailey's tour. He himself was in NYC but actually called us during the tour to make sure we were happy with the service and product. We were the only ones on the tour so had a large van all to ourselves. Our driver , Steve, (I believe) took us to Rose Hall. I have a picture of the white witch even sitting in her bedroom (ok, maybe it's the sunlight....or maybe not!!) Anyway, it was very interesting guided tour there and the grounds. Then we toured Mobay and DR. cove. (just looked at beach area) It was a very enjoyable day and Steve was great to walk us personally to a local grocery store where we bought blue mt. coffee and other local coffee. Felt very safe with our "body guard". He responded to all locals trying to sell us something and soon word on the street was "don't even bother asking....they are not buying" ! Steve made the day safe and interesting. Even when we went in the local grocery, he spoke to the security at the grocery store and everyone waited for us to get our coffee. Never would have tried this on our own!! Yes, worth the price of tour and extra tip !!!

My wife and I like to wander when we are in ports. We almost never take tours, ship or otherwise.

The last two times we were in MoBay we took a cab to Margaritaville. We were not going there, but the others in the cab were, and we just got out with them, and did our usual wandering. No one bothered us. A few tried to lure us into their shops, but we declined, and they left us alone. For $5 each we bought passes to Doctor's Cove, took a quick dip and then sat under the palm trees, sipping beers and having snacks. We stopped at a couple of bars along the beach and then had jerk chicken at The Pork Pit, a mixture of locals and tourists.

We had a great day, spent very little money, and never felt unsafe. The Jamaicans are very friendly people - a little hard to understand sometimes, but very interesting folks. They enjoy talking about their country and their lives, and are genuinely interested in ours.

The stuff in the shops is mostly junk, We pick up T-shirts or whatever in the terminal shops so we don't have to lug them around all day.

Jamaica's reputation is far worse than the reality. We have done Sunset Beach, and didn't think much of it. Very sanitized. We can meet other Americans anywhere.

A few years ago the cab driver dropped us off at the "shopping plaza" and that was a zoo, so we left after a few minutes of harrassment, but the "hip strip" has never been a problem.

Archived