When are you buying your airline tickets?

StGeorgeCruisers

I looked up your routing and dates and don't find Soutwest to be the least expensive.

Do you think if you wait, pricing will go down for a holiday period?

I've looked at many airlines many times and SW always comes out the best price, not sure what you have found. Maybe an airline I don't know about.

Airfaire is insane! We booked our cruise last week. After that, I started looking into flights...I really started to panic. EVERY airline was over $3000 for our family of 5. We even thought about changing the week of the cruise. Tuesday morning I checked SW & they had the cheaper flights posted (on Monday they were not there!) & I booked right away. I got the airfare for $1796 from Islip Long Island to FLL.

Did you check flight prices at all before you booked the cruise? Maybe it's just the engineer and MBA in me, but I have to consider every last detail when putting together my vacation (or even business trip) budget. I could never book one part of the vacation and just ignore how expensive another part can be until after the fact.

Of course I did...flights didn't seem that bad. Then a week later they really went up!

Glad to hear. I'm amazed at how many people on here book their cruise without ever considering air prices. It really happens quite often, that's why I wondered.

• 2 weeks later...

We just booked a cruise less then 30 days out. I was concerned about cabin and seat availability. I fully booked our flights right up to the "purchase" button and then called the travel agent about the cabin. As soon as she verified a cabin, I hit the purchase button on the airline website and we were completely booked for cruise and flights in a matter of minutes.

Glad to hear. I'm amazed at how many people on here book their cruise without ever considering air prices. It really happens quite often, that's why I wondered.

We usually book the most expensive thing and then the next and next. :D

Generally....that would be cruise, then airfare, then hotel, then rental car.

I suppose, that since we only have a deposit on the cruise, we could cancel if we couldn't find reasonable airfare. That has never happened. Since we tend to book the cruise early, we usually have a long time to look for air pricing. :)

We just booked a cruise less then 30 days out. I was concerned about cabin and seat availability. I fully booked our flights right up to the "purchase" button and then called the travel agent about the cabin. As soon as she verified a cabin, I hit the purchase button on the airline website and we were completely booked for cruise and flights in a matter of minutes.

Do you know that on most all tickets from the major carriers, you have 24 hours to cancel without charge?? So that you can buy an airline ticket and still cancel out if the cabin didn't come through.

Now, there are some tickets that you can't do this with. But you can check the rules while in the purchase process and it will let you know.

Flying to FLL from Detroit March break 2013. I see Delta now sits at 514.00 for 2 each way. The past week or two it was at 624.00. I have checked other air lines and it seems to be the cheapest so far. March break definately plays a factor in the price. Something tells me to book it but i wonder if it would drop again or would i kick my self if it does not and it goes up. I always felt if you feel comfortable with a price then book it.

More like, hold free for 24 hrs, and no free cancellation after purchase (AA), or no holds but free cancellation within 24 hrs (DL and UA)?

Appreciate the clarification. I was a bit hurried so I simplified a bit.

Principle remains....no need to do the "hit the button now" synchronization.

Archived