John Heald...Chogging

Out of curiosity, have any of you removed items on chairs when it was obvious that the chogger wouldn't be back within a reasonable timeframe, or is that considered just as rude?:confused: Anyone deal with irrate choggers?

I ask because I have no intention to let these choggers take away from my time to enjoy Caribbean sun and I don't want to be considered just as rude by moving items on my own... and I certainly don't want to cause a scene!

I've been on one cruise and never got to sit by the pool due to every chair taken (20% with actual people, 80% with towels and books getting a good tan!).

Help educate this semi-virgin cruiser!:p

Out of curiosity, have any of you removed items on chairs when it was obvious that the chogger wouldn't be back within a reasonable timeframe, or is that considered just as rude?:confused: Anyone deal with irrate choggers?

I ask because I have no intention to let these choggers take away from my time to enjoy Caribbean sun and I don't want to be considered just as rude by moving items on my own... and I certainly don't want to cause a scene!

I've been on one cruise and never got to sit by the pool due to every chair taken (20% with actual people, 80% with towels and books getting a good tan!).

Help educate this semi-virgin cruiser!:p

yup, and it's way less rude than someone taking a chair and not using it.

good comment on FB was what do they do for the hog who comes back after 34 minutes sit's for a few than up and goes again? Not sure how other lines deal with it.

To be honest when we are on Vacation we like to have our seats where we do, and will go eat breakfast than come back. We are not gone long, and if we move spots on the ships we always free up our loungers.

Curious to see...

good comment on FB was what do they do for the hog who comes back after 34 minutes sit's for a few than up and goes again? Not sure how other lines deal with it.

To be honest when we are on Vacation (So is everybody else on the ship... what makes you so special and entitiled??)we like to have our seats where we do, and will go eat breakfast than come back. We are not gone long, and if we move spots on the ships we always free up our loungers. (here's the problem...they're not YOUR loungers,,, they belong to the cruiseline and are there for the enjoyment of everyone)

To be honest when we are on Vacation (So is everybody else on the ship... what makes you so special and entitiled??)we like to have our seats where we do, and will go eat breakfast than come back. We are not gone long, and if we move spots on the ships we always free up our loungers. (here's the problem...they're not YOUR loungers,,, they belong to the cruiseline and are there for the enjoyment of everyone)

read into my post much? NOT.

I like everyone is on Vacation and to me I like to have a lounger. Put your bi focals on and read what I wrote again. We are not gone for long and when we are done we LEAVE. What makes me entitled is when I clearly make a fair statement...what makes you not entitled is your inability to read a post and understand it! Nothing we do is contrary to what they are trying to eliminate so go stir a pot elsewhere....

I like everyone is on Vacation and to me I like to have a lounger. Put your bi focals on and read what I wrote again. We are not gone for long and when we are done we LEAVE. What makes me entitled is when I clearly make a fair statement...what makes you not entitled is your inability to read a post and understand it! Nothing we do is contrary to what they are trying to eliminate so go stir a pot elsewhere....

I see nothing wrong with what Redsfan posted that they do as long as they are back within the allotted 40 minutes - JH had said that it was decided that that amount of time was enough for people to swim, pee, grab a bite to eat, etc.

If they are gone longer than 40 minutes, that's a different story......

I see nothing wrong with what Redsfan posted that they do as long as they are back within the allotted 40 minutes - JH had said that it was decided that that amount of time was enough for people to swim, pee, grab a bite to eat, etc.

If they are gone longer than 40 minutes, that's a different story......

thanks for reading ! ;)

I really hope this works as it's incredibly frustrating to wake up at 8am only to have half of Serenity covered in towels with no one in sight.

I wait a minute or so and if there's nobody around I just take the towel off and sit down. If they come back I just say that noone/no towel was present when I got here! Sorry??

I just got off the NCL Jade and they used this method. The seat saving was ridiculous on the ship. They would place a yellow sticker on the chair with the time on it. After 30 or so minutes they went around and removed the articals, etc. We had three sea days. On one, I saw them actually hauling off stuff on a regular basis. On another, there were stickers but no enforcement.

So on this ship, the system worked somewhat. When they enforced it, it seemed to free up chairs. However, it seemed after the first day some knew what was going and would have someone watch all their saved chairs. They also need to have staff willing to enforce the rule. The guy I dealt with on the last sea day clearly did not want to confront anyone.

It is a start.

Thank you for taking the time to write a description of how this rule was and was not, at times, enforced on another cruiseline.

Carnival is not exactly known for following its own rules so lets see what happens.

How did you like the Jade? Doing our first NCL next Feb on the Pearl.

Stu,

Pardon my butting in. We were on the Pearl Thanksgving of 2010. In my opinion, it was amazing. I prefer DCL in a lot of ways, but I never realized how hum-drum the interior decorating was on their ships until we sailed on the Pearl. If you like eyecatching decor, you will be pleased. I also liked that the Pearl had a library, a game room (with games) and a card room. I kind of liked their staterooms better even though they don't have the split bathrooms like DCL does and maybe, but I'm not sure, the balcony was a little smaller. I did not like the hurry-up and slow down dining. What I mean is the dining staff seemed to be in a huge harried hurry but our service took forever. Of course, I've heard the same complaint about Carnival at times.

[quote name='Redsfan'][quote name='Monkey30']

I like everyone is on Vacation and to me I like to have a lounger. Put your bi focals on and read what I wrote again. We are not gone for long and when we are done we LEAVE. What makes me entitled is when I clearly make a fair statement...what makes you not entitled is your inability to read a post and understand it! Nothing we do is contrary to what they are trying to eliminate so go stir a pot elsewhere....[/quote]

Bravo. Another thing I don't get....the people who say "I like to sleep in...I'm on vacation" OK, so sleep in and risk not getting a nice spot to sit because someone who wants the chair more (or doesn't like to sleep their vacation away) got there first and is enjoying the lounger for the day while still following the rules ;) I made a similar comment on FB....everyone used to complain about CHOGS saving seats all day and never using them, and I totally agree.....but now these folks have to find something new to bitch about so they complain about the people who get a good seat and USE it all day. It never ends. I noticed something intereststing...the Carnival board here at CC has SO MANY bitter angry kid hating, Carnival complaining posters that I thought our cruise on the Magic 2 weeks ago would have a bunch of crotchety old (but also maybe young) grumps on it....but it didn't! Hurray! The ship was full of wonderful, courteous people just there to have fun! Know how to have a cruise like that?!?! Don't go looking for peope/things to bitch about! Enjoy your cruise! What a concept!!!!

[quote name='newbieMom'][quote name='Redsfan']

Bravo. Another thing I don't get....the people who say "I like to sleep in...I'm on vacation" OK, so sleep in and risk not getting a nice spot to sit because someone who wants the chair more (or doesn't like to sleep their vacation away) got there first and is enjoying the lounger for the day while still following the rules ;) I made a similar comment on FB....everyone used to complain about CHOGS saving seats all day and never using them, and I totally agree.....but now these folks have to find something new to bitch about so they complain about the people who get a good seat and USE it all day. It never ends. I noticed something intereststing...the Carnival board here at CC has SO MANY bitter angry kid hating, Carnival complaining posters that I thought our cruise on the Magic 2 weeks ago would have a bunch of crotchety old (but also maybe young) grumps on it....but it didn't! Hurray! The ship was full of wonderful, courteous people just there to have fun! Know how to have a cruise like that?!?! Don't go looking for peope/things to bitch about! Enjoy your cruise! What a concept!!!![/QUOTE]

the people who like to sleep in will have no fear of not getting a seat now. I would love to sleep in as well but have 3 young kids, so that ain't gonna happen any time soon! More than loungers I hate people who sit and smoke in the lunch area of the Lido. More than chogs, I hate people who sit at their tables for 45 mins after eating a meal because they can..are going to put time limits on tables? No. Should they? Ahahaha....

[quote name='ccarpenter1963']According to his Facebook page they are rolling out a program on the Breeze that will go fleet wide. They will have staff marking chairs and moving items in 40 minutes.[/quote]

I just got off the Ecstacy last Thursday and it was no problem for us. There were 6 of us and we never had a problem finding even 6 chairs together. Though we never wanted to sit RIGHT by the pool, we preferred to be a deck up just above the pool or up on the top deck facing the pool. On Sea Day 2 of us got up early had breakfast and went up there to claim our spot (we werent just gonna put the stuff there and leave we were going to lay there) and all the chairs up there were empty and many of them remained empty all day, because we pretty much laid out most of the day. No problems for us!

[quote name='Breezy72']Out of curiosity, have any of you removed items on chairs when it was obvious that the chogger wouldn't be back within a reasonable timeframe, or is that considered just as rude?:confused: Anyone deal with irrate choggers?

Help educate this semi-virgin cruiser!:p[/quote]

Recently off the Breeze, with three sea days:

1st- I like to lay in the sun for a few hours before lunch so I went up at about 9 and couldn't find a chair anywhere in the sun. I finally picked one with a towel only, removed the towel and moved in. 4 people showed up just before 11 standing around me, talking loudly about how they had come up at 8 and saved "these seven chairs". I ignored them, continued reading, and 3 of them left(one stayed for 20 min). I left at 12:30 and no one had ever come back to use 'their' chairs.

2nd- Thought I might have better luck on the Serenity deck. Got there at 8:20(it opens at 8) and EVERY chair/hammock/couch was taken with less than 10 actual bodies on deck. I moved a towel, planted myself and moved 40 min later when the (very rude and entitled)'owner' showed up. Found another towel-only chair, moved in and left at 12:30 never having seen the chair's 'owner'.

3rd- Again I walked round and round on two different decks before finally moving a towel and moving in at 8:45. At 11:00 a 30-something man showed up and, red-faced and shouting, pointed his finger at me:
"YOU.ARE.IN.MY.CHAIR!!!!" I said, "I've been here two hours" . Him: "YOU WANT TO GO A FEW ROUNDS WITH ME, DO YOU?!" Me (and this was the last thing I said to him)"You need to talk to one of the crew"
Him:"I AM GERMAN! IF THIS WAS GERMANY, I WOULD THROW YOU AND
THAT CHAIR OVER THAT RAILING!!"
He then kicked my chair and stormed off. I am a 47-year old woman and just barely 5 feet tall. This was more than a little scary.
He came back with a member of the crew who actually questioned me because the man said I had been rude to him. It was even suggested that *I* move(although that might've been for my own safety - this guy was seriously overreacting). I explained myself and the man shouted again about throwing me and the chair over the railing, this time onto the pool deck. I said to the crewman, he is threatening me and the man finally shut up.

The man was/is an ass and a big bully but no one should have to go through all this to get a chair in the sun on a sea day. Nor should we have to get up at 5 am to beat these idiots at their own game/stoop to their level.

This seems to be good news if they enforce it
I have never had a problem getting a prime spot as we are up early
I suspect that it will do some good
I also suspect the next wave of complaints is people should be allowed to stay longer than x

:eek::eek::eek:

Insane! So sorry to hear what you went through just to relax on your cruise! This kind of scenario is what I fear most from true choggers!

[quote name='ukbecky']Recently off the Breeze, with three sea days:

1st- I like to lay in the sun for a few hours before lunch so I went up at about 9 and couldn't find a chair anywhere in the sun. I finally picked one with a towel only, removed the towel and moved in. 4 people showed up just before 11 standing around me, talking loudly about how they had come up at 8 and saved "these seven chairs". I ignored them, continued reading, and 3 of them left(one stayed for 20 min). I left at 12:30 and no one had ever come back to use 'their' chairs.

2nd- Thought I might have better luck on the Serenity deck. Got there at 8:20(it opens at 8) and EVERY chair/hammock/couch was taken with less than 10 actual bodies on deck. I moved a towel, planted myself and moved 40 min later when the (very rude and entitled)'owner' showed up. Found another towel-only chair, moved in and left at 12:30 never having seen the chair's 'owner'.

3rd- Again I walked round and round on two different decks before finally moving a towel and moving in at 8:45. At 11:00 a 30-something man showed up and, red-faced and shouting, pointed his finger at me:
"YOU.ARE.IN.MY.CHAIR!!!!" I said, "I've been here two hours" . Him: "YOU WANT TO GO A FEW ROUNDS WITH ME, DO YOU?!" Me (and this was the last thing I said to him)"You need to talk to one of the crew"
He then kicked my chair and stormed off. I am a 47-year old woman and just barely 5 feet tall. This was more than a little scary.
He came back with a member of the crew who actually questioned me because the man said I had been rude to him. It was even suggested that *I* move(although that might've been for my own safety - this guy was seriously overreacting). I explained myself and the man shouted again about throwing me and the chair over the railing, this time onto the pool deck. I said to the crewman, he is threatening me and the man finally shut up.

The man was/is an ass and a big bully but no one should have to go through all this to get a chair in the sun on a sea day. Nor should we have to get up at 5 am to beat these idiots at their own game/stoop to their level.[/quote]

[quote name='ukbecky']Recently off the Breeze, with three sea days:

The man was/is an ass and a big bully but no one should have to go through all this to get a chair in the sun on a sea day. Nor should we have to get up at 5 am to beat these idiots at their own game/stoop to their level.[/QUOTE]

WOW! That is insane and ridiculous. I can't believe it's that serious to some folks (angry man).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived