Statendam vs Zuiderdam

oldpharmguy

Statendam. Less walking, and we liked it better. That said, we were on the Z just a month before a dry-dock, and there were a lot of things we noticed that were in need of repair. Two months later we might have liked the Z better.

I am guessing there must be a big price difference between the 2 if the itinerary is the same???

If there isn't I'd probably do the Statendam as I like the smaller ships.

That being said - we thoroughly enjoyed our cruise on the Zuiderdam when we did the partial canal. However, there have been some issues for some cruisers - doesn't mean it will happen again but.....

Just a theory, but with far more balconies on the Zuiderdam, would the public areas be less crowded through the canal?
The Zuiderdam has 165 OV cabins and 154 Insides. At double occupancy, that means about 638 people can be counted on to be in public areas. The Statendam has 352 OV and 125 Insides, or 954 people who will probably be on public decks.

But if half of the 1274 people in the Zuiderdam's Verandah and Suites leave their cabin, and half of the 240 in Statendam's Verandah and Suites do the same, that would mean that the Z has 1275 people out, and the S has 1074.

Your guess is as good as mine as to how many would stay on their own veranda. Depends on how many have been through before! :)

I think it's pretty safe to say that most people go out to see the Panama - those on verandas do not stay there - there is too much to see at certain points and the veranda does not do the trick;)

I wouldn't count on those in verandas staying on their verandas. We had one and we certainly didn't:)

Alaska on Statendam before it's last refurb... she was showing her age.

Partial Canal last April on Zuiderdam... Wonderful...

These were 2 WAY different cruises because of the destinations...

Zuiderdam, the Vista Class ship .... WINNER ! !

I would probably pick the Statendam simply because it is smaller, and so much easier to get around. My knee isn't killing me by the end of the day.

However, I did sail the partial Panama in the Zuiderdam last December, and have to say that I had the absolute best service I have ever had on any ship, any line. The. Best. Ever.

I could not have been treated better if I were the CEO of HAL.

Archived