How to convince someone a balcony is not necessary

meatloafsfan

Here's my problem. I love to cruise and my cousin, her husband their kids want to cruise with me for their 5th wedding anniversary next August.

There will be 6 of us (including 3 kids aged 6, 3, and 1). I am pricing out cruises and there are some decent prices for the end of august (not compared to what I pay in October but for the end of summer).

Here's my dilema - I keep pricing out inside, portholes and oceanview cabins (this cruise needs to be budget conscious because not only do we need to pay for 6 to cruise but also 6 to get to the cruise ship and back). My cousin's husband is stuck on getting two balconies. His grandfather cruises regularly (mostly on HAL and Princess) and he always gets a balcony (says it's the only way to cruise).

I'm trying to convince my cousin and her husband that it's worth giving up the balcony in exchange for a longer cruise.

For less than what 2 balconies on the Victory (5 night cruise) we could sail the Liberty in oceanview cabins for 7 nights.

Don't get me wrong - the Victory would be a great cruise (stops are half moon cay, grand turk and nassau) but the Liberty is two days longer and instead of Nassau we stop at St Thomas and San Juan (and also stops at grand turk and half moon cay). Plus it's had the Funship 2.0 upgrades.

How do you convince someone that a balcony isn't a necessity?

Necessity? Hardly, but I will never cruise without one. Even cruising isn't a necessity.

But I'd rather enjoy my accommodations than to sail without them.

You have 6 people cruising...how are you dividing the group up amongst the cabins? I'd say one balcony would be plenty...the one time we got 2 adjoining balconies, my kids (twins aged 14 at the time) never used it and said they didn't really need a balcony. You could do one balcony and one ocean view or one balcony and an inside across the hall. Two balconies seems a bit excessive.

I can understand first time cruisers thinking they NEED a balcony, but if you explain to them how they do the sailaway parties on deck and point out that much of the action is on the deck, maybe they will defer to your experience and go with an ocean view or inside cabin (personally I like some natural light, so a port hole cabin or obstructed view is a good option for those who want natural light at the price of an inside). Plus, you are spending so much to get to FL for the cruise that it seems silly to travel all that way for a 5 night cruise. I'm with you on going for the 7 night cruise in cheaper accommodations. Since they have never cruised before, they have no idea what it is all about. I think once onboard, they would realize that to travel all the way to FL, schlep their stuff onboard, unpack, etc, only to pack it all up again in 5 days is a bit of a waste. Once onboard they will really want those 2 extra days...you are the expert and they really should defer to your wisdom.

Okay, here's my summary. You wanted to cruise. They decided it would be great to go to. They pick the cabins. You pay for the bulk of it, including transport. Right?

No, actually the cruise was my cousins idea and she (and her husband) want to pay for it all but I am in a better financial situation than they are and I won't let them. I am insisting on paying for part of the trip because otherwise I would feel guilty about how much they would need to give up to treat me and I would be able to enjoy the trip more knowing that I've helped with the cost.

You have 6 people cruising...how are you dividing the group up amongst the cabins? I'd say one balcony would be plenty...the one time we got 2 adjoining balconies, my kids (twins aged 14 at the time) never used it and said they didn't really need a balcony. You could do one balcony and one ocean view or one balcony and an inside across the hall. Two balconies seems a bit excessive.

My issue is, if the cabins aren't connecting then it does limit one of the adults to having to be in the cabin while the kids are sleeping or napping or playing. If we have two connecting cabins, we can have the door open between the cabins to check on the kids but still be able to talk and have the lights on.

My issue is, if the cabins aren't connecting then it does limit one of the adults to having to be in the cabin while the kids are sleeping or napping or playing. If we have two connecting cabins, we can have the door open between the cabins to check on the kids but still be able to talk and have the lights on.

That's a good point for having the adjoining. Honestly, I don;t know what I would do, I love the onger cruise but I also love the balcony. I am sure however it works out, you will have a great cruise.

I don't actually need a balcony for most of my cruises and only one cruise did I have a balcony, based on the price. Perhaps the only time I would get a balcony is if I went to Alaska again. I think a balcony is required for an Alaskan cruise.

Definately count me in with the "balcony or bust" group. I have cruised inside, OV and balcony, and I am an avowed balcony lover. It adds so much to the cruise experience for me. And no, I'm not a smoker, in fact I am disgusted by smoke. Can't stand it. But quiet mornings with my loved one watching the sunset/sunrise, reading a book in the quiet and peace with the ocean air, winding down at the end of the night ... I just love it.

That said, given your stance/situation OP, I would tell them that you guys are going to do the 7 day cruise, let them have one balcony and you book an inside across the hall from them and see if that price is workable for the group of you someway.

Depending on the ship, is there one balcony room next door to an ocean view? Seems to me there must be some place where these rooms meet (although I have not consulted deck plans to verify).

Also, a 4J might be something to check out. It's an "obstructed view" cabin, but at the very front of the ship right next to a "secret deck". So, it would be like having a balcony at a more affordable cost. We have one of these booked for our next cruise on the Liberty. For instance, on the Liberty, 6201-6206 classify as 4Js and are all near the "secret deck", so it would be like having a balcony...you just go out your room and then outside the exterior door. I don't see that these connect though. From past experience, it seems there are few connecting cabins on ships. I really don't know why there are not more. We got one for our first cruise to put our two kids next door, but after that, we just went with a room next door without a connecting door and used the exterior door, but our kids were teens by then. With smaller kids, I know you need a connecting door.

Good luck with whatever you decide. It's a tough one!

Archived