How to convince someone a balcony is not necessary

meatloafsfan

A balcony is not that great to me, but then I am not a smoker.

If it was the same price as an ov, then I would take it.

Otherwise, who cares?

But I would not want a balcony at all with kids.

The thing is that if the op convinces the other to not have a balcony and they don't like the inside or the ov, then it is all the fault of the op.

The more people you get involved with anything, the less likely it is that you will get to do what you want.

Personally, we need a balcony. Sometimes we like to leave the liveliness of the ship and have a quiet outdoor space to read and enjoy the ocean.

Actually, it seems to me that you guys should sit down and hash out the money situation. Nothing causes more problems and hard feelings than not knowing who is going to pay exactly for what - you might say it's fine - but very often it ends in bad feelings. I would opt for the inside for yourself and let them get whatever they want.

Personally, we need a balcony. Sometimes we like to leave the liveliness of the ship and have a quiet outdoor space to read and enjoy the ocean.

Actually, it seems to me that you guys should sit down and hash out the money situation. Nothing causes more problems and hard feelings than not knowing who is going to pay exactly for what - you might say it's fine - but very often it ends in bad feelings. I would opt for the inside for yourself and let them get whatever they want.

They need to do some figuring. They are five people, five fares need to be paid, and he wants a balcony? You are just one. Has he seen the final cost? I know you said you'd help, but after all, they are the ones who want to go with YOU.Perhaps if you invited THEM, I'd feel different about it. And don't forget, your activity will be restricted as you'll be doing some babysitting, and you can't leave young ones alone in a cabin while you are out.

I agree no balcony no cruise I too am spoiled. I'm an early bird, DH sleeps late, so I like to spend that time on the balcony, in PJ's with coffee and a good book. we hang out there while the other is getting ready for dinner (or he does, it takes me longer) and then the late night down time before bed. Balcony snob and proud of it!!!!!

I have never had an balcony, don't need one. I can live with OV or inside. I figure I am saving money, for other things. If you are paying for it they would need to be understanding and thankful for someone paying their way. You could always let them know if they would like to pay for the difference, then there is not problem.

The actual room size is larger with an OV than a balcony cabin. 220 vs 185

Is this really true about the ov being 220 sq ft? I will be in an oceanview on the Miracle, is it true for all Carnival ships. I am asking because they are listed at 185sq ft. everywhere. Thanks!

I've had an inside, outside and a balcony. I will never do another inside as I like to peak outside before going topside. I may do another balcony but the time I did have one I think I spent a hour on it over 7 days. I much prefer to wander around. I do want to get a cove just because its unique. If we turn out to love it we may be limited to only the Dream class!:eek:

Bottom line though...cruise lines have quite a few different choices for cabins because we all have different tastes.

Same here and this time I am trying the Promenade Cabin on the NOS. Last cruise I wanted a balcony because I have never had one. Well I am like you in that I probably spent 1 hour or so the whole 7 days we were cruising. We do not hang in our cabin (just shower, dress and sleep) and I thought I would love it for my morning coffee which I drank in bed and then one morning I said to myself oops go sit on the balcony. Didn't even finish the coffee and I was back in the bed finishing my morning coffee. Would I get another balcony, yes, even though I was only on it a couple of minutes once in a while. Would never do an inside again and probably not an outside. I guess just knowing the balcony is there in case would be the reason to book it. Can't wait to try the PR cabin though. :)

Family of 4 here:

1st cruise oceanview: 220 sq. feet

2nd cruise balcony: 185 sq. feet

3rd cruise coming up: yes, we went back to an oceanview for the extra room! It's a no brainer for us. Plus we saved $500.00 by not going with a balcony.

Is this really true about the ov being 220 sq ft? I will be in an ocean-view on the Miracle, is it true for all Carnival ships. I am asking because they are listed at 185sq ft. everywhere. Thanks!

Not on the Miracle, but the OP was going on Victory. There the OV cabins average 220 and the Balcony cabins 185 with a 35 balcony so the same overall, but OV has the 35 as extra room space as opposed to balcony. With extra people in the room this could make things easier.

Not on the Miracle, but the OP was going on Victory. There the OV cabins average 220 and the Balcony cabins 185 with a 35 balcony so the same overall, but OV has the 35 as extra room space as opposed to balcony. With extra people in the room this could make things easier.

The 35 sq feet are the balcony I think. 3'X10' or so? So its a choice to have the space outside or inside.

The 3 of us (wife and DD) cruise with my sisters family of 3 and my brothers family of 3, for a group of nine. They all like balconys, we like Riviera deck, mid ship inside.

We have visited their balconies, do see the big deal, found places up top on the ship larger and people free most of the time. I also admit, we are cheap, getting a balcony would mean a cruise every 2 years instead of every year and even then I wouldn't do it, just too much money for something I'd rarely use.

If you're the one doing most of the organizing, then IMHO you get to pick the cruise. I'd get whatever class cabin suited me and give them options for their family. I'd be very wary of sharing a cabin with the kids since you know you will end up babysitting...especially on an anniversary cruise.

If that's okay with you, great. Might be a lot of fun. But, having cruised as a single with a friend and her toddler son years ago, sharing a cabin, I can only say, never again.

IMHO many balconies are over-rated anyway, unless you can get an aft one or something. They're cramped and if your neighbors are inconsiderate that can be a real bummer. I'd rather book a longer cruise and not have a balcony, than book a shorter one and have a balcony.

We did a balcony on our honeymoon cruise from B'more to the Bahamas. In December :) Honestly, my opinion was "big whoop." The balcony is tiny, and we didn't spend much time in it in relation to the upcharge.

My wife and I booked a 4J for a 12-day Italy cruise next year. Price was a steal, and hey, we're not going to be in our rooms much anyway! (And, for a 9/29 sailing, the balcony is probably going to be quite cool.)

Joke is on me when we found the ship had 6K rooms -- much larger than standard, for the price of an ocean view -- with 2 8'x7' floor to ceiling windows. We broke down and paid the extra for what we expect to be a unique experience. We just hope we actually use it :)

Had a hard time convincing my DW to try a balcony. The conclusion we came to was that in warmer climates a balcony is preferred . In Alaska an inside or Ocean View would be better then a balcony.

When I retire we probably will almost always cruise in an inside cabin due to cost. Also show them the difference in cost between an inside , outside & balcony.

I know each and every person is different and what one person enjoys another might not. We won't sail without a balcony. I truly can't imagine going to Alaska and having an oceanview cabin.

We have gone there twice and both times absolutely loved being out on our balcony, especially when we went to Glacier Bay. I know we could go up on deck, but there are so many people there and at times, it's hard to see over and around them. Being able to relax on our own balcony, at any time, makes cruising for us.

OP,

I don't think I could ever talk someone out of a balcony and I would want to do the 7 day balcony on Liberty rather than the shorter cruise. If it took a little longer to save the money, I'd do that, but as I said, everyone is different.

I have sailed inside, ocean view, and balcony. In my opinion, I don't use the balcony enough to justify the cost difference. As others have stated here, I would rather be inside and cruise more often. Also I would vote for the seven day with the better itinerary. As you stated you have the cost of transportation to get to the ship, so you might as well enjoy the seven days instead of five. Either way, hope you have a great time.

Archived