Spiriting around the Med with walking difficulties

Okay, we are on the late June into early July cruise, so maybe it won't be as hot. We get temp's into the 100's here in the summer so we were hoping to not deal with too much of it in the Med. Thanks again for your great review! Hope all is well in the UK :)

We are taking this cruise in reverse in June. If booking on our own for excursions using your suggestions, how much money in cash should we have with us? Do they have currency exchange on board? Is the name of the Toulon tour company "Provence Wine Tours?" We are renting a car in Venice and driving to Paris then train to London. thanks for all the info.

We are taking this cruise in reverse in June. If booking on our own for excursions using your suggestions, how much money in cash should we have with us? Do they have currency exchange on board? Is the name of the Toulon tour company "Provence Wine Tours?" We are renting a car in Venice and driving to Paris then train to London. thanks for all the info.

because we booked private tours in most ports we did need a lot of cash-between 40-100 euros pp depending on the port and tour operator

We got an initial sum of cash from our high street travel agent before the trip and stored in the safe once onboard

top up amounts we used ATMs in the ports-agree with previous poster not to use the ships facility

it was indeed Provence wine tours run by Gaetane and Marion-well recommended

cant really help re car rental apart from to suggest that central Paris is not fun to drive around-especially if you end up on the notorious Arc de Triomphe roundabout where the rule is traffic joining has priority-but often results in accidents!

are you leaving the car at an outskirts branch which has decent public transport links to the train station?

I am doing this cruise in reverse in May. I'm going to post a link to this review on our roll call.

Thank you for all the wonderful information. My mom, who is 83 will be on this trip with us. Although she doesn't have mobility issues I'm oncerned about her becoming over-tired. Your review helped with that.

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Hi Fabnfortysomething.

Bob and Chris from AUSTRALIA.

Just read your great review of the Spirit. Just wondering though, we are booked in for a 14 nighter starting in Barcelona on July 6th 2015. Do you consider the weather this time of the year in the Med to Hot, Crowded and Windy. We are doing same ports as you including Dubrovnik and Monenegro.

Thanks Bob.

PS. We are a long way out from our cruise and just booked. We could probably move our cruise to say late May/ early June if you consider the weather would be better:):):)

Hi Fabnfortysomething.

Just read your great review of the Spirit. Just wondering though, we are booked in for a 14 nighter starting in Barcelona on July 6th 2015. Do you consider the weather this time of the year in the Med to Hot, Crowded and Windy. We are doing same ports as you including Dubrovnik and Monenegro.

Thanks Bob.

PS. We are a long way out from our cruise and just booked. We could probably move our cruise to say late May/ early June if you consider the weather would be better:):):)

OK so we live in the UK for us holiday weather is HOT HOT HOT otherwise we feel deprived!

seriously early July you should escape worst of the crowds as school holidays Europe start mid to end July so from then till end August is peak time.

Temperatures can be in the 30's [centigrade] but air conditioning on board and in shops restaurants etc give you the chance to escape the heat

as you've read my review you'll know we do private tours so also have an air conditioned car to retreat to so journeys between sights are comfortable

late May/early June should be less crowded and temperatures slightly less but is the price lower?

as to windy I don't think that should be a problem in summer

isn't it hard making these decisions-LOL

Lyn

Hi Fabnfortysomething.

Thanks Bob.

Weather in June was hot and sunny. Many locals said July very hot.

Hi Lyn.

Thanks for the reply... We have this 14 nighter booked already but are really worried about going in July... The only problem being is that this cruise is a 1 off. All the others on this ship are 12 nighters and not stopping at Dubrovnik and Montenegro. We can probably change to late May/early June and do the 12 nighter but not really sure if this is a good idea to change or not. Really confused. Pretty important 40th Wedding Anniversary cruise and on a midships balcony so a bit worried about howling wind in the Med in early July.

Cheers Bob.:confused:

Hi Lyn.

Thanks for the reply... We have this 14 nighter booked already but are really worried about going in July... The only problem being is that this cruise is a 1 off. All the others on this ship are 12 nighters and not stopping at Dubrovnik and Montenegro. We can probably change to late May/early June and do the 12 nighter but not really sure if this is a good idea to change or not. Really confused. Pretty important 40th Wedding Anniversary cruise and on a midships balcony so a bit worried about howling wind in the Med in early July.

Cheers Bob.:confused:

July in the Med will be hot with very little wind - sunburn and dehydration are bigger worries that windburn!

• 1 year later...

Have just finished reading your review, enjoyed it very much. We are doing this same itinerary the end of September and I have a question for you, were you on the port or starboard side? I noticed you are online now so hope you see this even though it has been a long time since anyone posted to this thread.

Have just finished reading your review, enjoyed it very much. We are doing this same itinerary the end of September and I have a question for you, were you on the port or starboard side? I noticed you are online now so hope you see this even though it has been a long time since anyone posted to this thread.

now you're testing my memory!!:D

I think we were portside as remember we had friends in inside cabin opposite but cant find records of our room number

to be honest it seemed to vary which side of ship was facing landwards at each port so don't think you would be at a disadvantage either side re views

Thanks, we are on port side but others have said you should be on starboard side.

We were thinking of just riding tram in Istanbul and walking to sights on our own. We don't have mobility issues, do you think that is feasible or is it too far to walk?

Thanks, we are on port side but others have said you should be on starboard side.

We were thinking of just riding tram in Istanbul and walking to sights on our own. We don't have mobility issues, do you think that is feasible or is it too far to walk?

if you don't have mobility issues you will probably walk faster than the pace of traffic sometimes-it can get very congested:)

main issue is the temperatures are very high so take plenty water and frequent rest stops if you can escape the traders/beggars who will descend as soon as you pause near them!

• 2 weeks later...

what a wonderful review. just jumped from the first page to say thanks. May 2016 venice to barcelona will be our very first cruise, so this is like a walk thru. so very helpful

anurag, India

what a wonderful review. just jumped from the first page to say thanks. May 2016 venice to barcelona will be our very first cruise, so this is like a walk thru. so very helpful

anurag, India

thank you

it was a wonderful cruise-would definitely repeat!

if you have any queries let me know