Help with Maui Hotel

sunshineRN48

Hi everyone, well I've decided to fly to Maui pre cruise for 6 nts and just relax and sightsee some prior to my cruise on POA. I looked up reviews on The Whaler at Kaanapali Hotel, which are condos. Looked like some pretty good reviews on Trip Advisor. Anyone ever stay there?? or use VRBO? Want to make sure it is a reliable way to rent one the condos.

I found a pretty nice one at $225/nt on VRBO, as well as some decent rates on Expedia. I liked the idea of being able to cook and save some money on eating out alot, since I will be going solo.

Thanks everyone!

We have used VRBO for rentals in Hawaii for many years. We have never stayed at the Whaler but it is a nice property. We have three hotels on that stretch of Kaanapali that we really like. Remember that you will also have a cleaning fee that will be added into your total for a VRBO. Will you have a car to do grocery shopping? I don't know what time of year you will be visiting Maui and cruising but sometimes the nightly rate for an ocean view hotel room can be less expensive that a VRBO rental. Just check everything out. From your other thread it sounds like Kaanapali will be a great spot for your six days. Cherie

We stayed at the Whaler many years ago and it was spectacular then, but can't say how it's fared in the years since (1983!). VRBO is very reliable, (as a disclaimer, we have a vacation rental listed there though not in the Whaler or even on Maui). VRBO, like Craig's List or any other public website, can attact the more unsavory elements, so a few precautions. Email the owner, ask specific questions such as: are the photos on your website current and were they actually taken in or from the unit; do you use a professional on-island management agent (required by law in Hawaii); what is your cancellation/refund policy?; when and how is payment due?; does your price include cleaning fees, security deposit, and Hawaii tax, which is a whopping 13.25%. If you're not comfortable with the tone or the answers you get from the owner, look elsewhere! Many VRBO owners will also list a phone number where you can talk to them in person. Hope you get all the answers you want and have a wonderful trip!

Be careful at the Whaler. We were just there in October and there is a lot of renovation going on. The one condo we were looking at, thankfully the lady was upfront and said there would be no view or access to the balcony, as it was boarded up for safety.

Not sure how long the process will take, but be sure to ask about it before renting it.

We finally selected to stay at the Kaanapali Beach Hotel next door.

We stayed at the Aston Mahana and it is such a steal for the money! The whaler looks really nice as well, but the Mahana has all ocean front suites. Every room has a view. We were disappointed at first because we were on the first floor but then decided it was awesome! Trip advisor has almost no bad reviews of the place either. Booked through royal hawaiian condos.

Wow, those are qreat questions and tips. Thanks! How does it work with it being a private owner, and picking up/returning the keys etc when I get arrive/leave? Is that the on island agent you were speaking about?

In most cases, yes, the island agent will handle the keys. The agent could be at the front desk of the complex or could be someone offsite, though almost always nearby. Ours has a local office, with lockboxes available for after-hours pickup. Your rental agreement will give you all the details. The agent will also be on call if there's a problem (plumbing issues in the middle of the night!), arrange cleaning, etc. The law only requires a local "contact" but for many owners that contact is a professional agency with plenty of resources to deal with any problem that arises.

how was the Kaanapali hotel?

We loved the Kaanapali Beach Hotel! Found it fantastic in every way. It's not a huge resort like the Hilton or Sheraton, it's more of the classic "old" Hawaiian feel. I think the 4 buildings are only 3 floors. It is tucked in between the Whaler and the Sheraton at Black Rock. We walked to the Whaler Village most every day, and Black Rock was also walkable.

I'm 65, my daughter 46 and my granddaughter 12, and we each found the Kaanapali Beach Hotel to be great. We enjoyed the different free classes they held each day (lei making, hula lessons, reed weaving, Hawaiian language, Hawaiian fruit, Hawaiian painting, etc.). They have local craftsman in the lobby each day with different items for sale. Free snuba lessons in the pool each day (granddaughter loved this one). You can partake of the different activities or not, it's up to you. Then each night between 6 and 9, they have a free Hawaiian show by the pool. Then when you leave, you are scheduled for a departure ceremony where they give you a kukui nut lei that makes you Ohana (Family). It's really a nice laid back atmosphere with beautiful grounds and very friendly, helpful staff.

I think the drive to Lahaina was about 10-15 minutes depending on traffic. If I ever return to Maui, I would choose this hotel again.

Archived