Just Land vs. Cruise & Land

GrandCanyon2005

Our family of four has booked our 2013 Aft Suite and Port Balcony (2 cabins on Princess Sapphire), but after creeping on everyone's posts, asking multiple questions, and doing hours/hours of research, I'm thinking of just doing a 14-day Land only, and would appreciate your opinions. We've booked a van for 14 days for $538 which I think is pretty good for 14 days. I've been to tripadvisor, but value opinions of those who post here. So, here are my questions:

1. If we wanted to stay 4+ nights in Denali, or area, where would you stay?

2. If we wanted to stay 2+ nights in Homer, or area, where would you stay?

3. What would be the best day-cruises (& out of where) for glacier viewing?

We would want to stay at Bed/Breakfast or Lodges in 3/4 night stays, so we're not moving all the time. At McKinley, we are planning on doing flightseeing and white-water rafting; a bear viewing excursion in the Homer area; flying over for a night or two at Glacier Bay Lodge in Gustavus. And probably spending a couple of days in Fairbanks (where my wife and I spent the first three months of our marriage, 26 years ago).

4. Where else would you want to go if you had another seven nights or so? In case you are wondering, we love to drive and go at our own pace.

5. Are we crazy to give up the cruise? We know you don't go to Alaska for the shows on the ship, but we love shows ... and still plan on seeing/doing everything possible in Alaska. Without shows like on Disney ships and RCL Oasis of the Seas, I'm afraid we would be disappointed. And "yes" I know that's not why you go to Alaska, but it's something we would expect if we were on a ship.

If we do give up our Aft Suite, one of you balcony ressies might be upgraded; haha.

Can't answer much on best choice but when it comes to accommodation it might be worth looking into private home rentals. I cruise alaska in couple of weeks and have 3 nights at end in anchorage and rented a house rather than hotel or b&b. There's 5 of us and works out much cheaper.

You don't really have another 7 nights to play with. As a matter of fact I don't think 14 days is enough for your current itinerary. The Gustavus trip alone will take 3-4 days of your 14 days.

And I think you're forgetting to factor in drive times. For instance Fairbanks to Homer can't be done in a day. Are you willing to forego your 3-4 night rule and do a one-night stay somewhere to break up the journey? Anchorage to Denali is 5-6 hrs, Fairbanks to Anchorage is 8, Anchorage to Homer is 5. And that's just drive times so add stops for lunch, gas, sightseeing, etc.

I'd recommend an overnight bear viewing trip to Silver Salmon Lodge or Alaska Homestead Lodge or somewhere similar. They costs more than a day trip but you get so much more viewing time.

Glacier viewing cruises are out of Whittier. They usually run noon to 5, so Girdwood would be a good spot to break up your drive for a couple of nights. But if you're going to Glacier Bay do you need another boat trip?

For Denali accomodations there are several nice B&Bs in Healy; Denali Lakeview Inn, Denali Dome Home. And nice cabins if you want something more remote and self catering except for b'fast coffee and baked goods. http://www.alaskaone.com/_dcc/accommodations/

This chart will help you with drive times:

http://alaska.org/gettingaround/alaska-transportation-guide.htm

Have you drafted an itinerary yet? Just something brief to outline the drive, overnights, excursions, etc so you can get an idea of a timeline? ie

Day 1 fly to Gustavus

2 recover from flight and time change. Explore Gustavus, or if staying at the GBay Lodge go for a hike

3 GBay cruise

4 fly to Juneau then Anchorage. Pick up car. Drive to Talkeetna 3hr. o/n

5 flightsee, Drive to Denali 3 hrs o/n

I mentioned the cruises out of Whittier because those trips are advertised as glacier viewing cruises.

But there are also cruises from Seward. Those are advertised as wildlife/glacier cruises because the opportunity to see whales and other wildlife is much greater than on the whittier cruises. The Seward trips visit Aialik and/or Holgate Glaciers depending on the length of cruise you take. We saw whales on our trip, plus mountain goats, bald eagles. The sea can be rougher out of Seward, especially as you enter the Gulf.

(There are usually discount coupons for both locations in the Northern Lights or Alaska Toursaver books. )

I don’t think you’ll have an extra 7 days either although you might consider a drive up along the Glenn Highway. Matanuska Glacier is 2 hours north of Anchorage along the Glenn. It’s the most easily accessible glacier in Alaska. You can walk from the parking lot for 10-15 minutes and be on the glacier. There are several guides in the area that can take you trekking and/or ice climbing.

Another option, if your rental allows it, is driving the Denali Highway. The highway runs between Cantwell and Paxon. Not a highway by most standards as its gravel. The Nelchina Caribou herd can occasionally be seen and there can be thousands of them that migrate through the area. It’s a beautiful drive. We’re doing it in a few weeks.

Can I ask where you got your car rental? I am looking for deals also for 2013 and haven't found anything close to the deals I got last summer.....

We got it through Alamo.

You can save a lot of money by using Autoslash dot com. They are the only site on the Internet that applies the best coupons and discounts, tracks rental price changes right up until the pickup date, and re-books users into these savings automatically—ALL FOR FREE!

I mentioned the cruises out of Whittier because those trips are advertised as glacier viewing cruises.

But there are also cruises from Seward ... The sea can be rougher out of Seward, especially as you enter the Gulf.

I failed to mention that we are wanting to do a separate whale watching trip than the Glacier trip, if it's of value doing them separately.

Also forgot to mention, that we plan on flying in to Glacier Bay, and possibly Homer ... and just parking the rental during that timeframe. quote]

Perhaps you could post your tentative itinerary. We're taking shots in the dark since we don't know which destinations are included in the 14 days or other possible plans you're considering.

BTW, if you don't intend to visit Homer or the Kenai Peninsula, consider bear viewing trips from Anchorage instead. Rusts Flying Service is one vendor ... they're part of the K2 flightseeing in Talkeetna. http://www.flyrusts.com/alaska-bear-viewing.html

We got it through Alamo.

You can save a lot of money by using Autoslash dot com. They are the only site on the Internet that applies the best coupons and discounts, tracks rental price changes right up until the pickup date, and re-books users into these savings automatically—ALL FOR FREE!

I tried to use that site and it said they couldn't find any cars or something to that effect and told me to try different dates/times/locations, etc. I tried several things but no luck. So, I booked thru the large warehouse store just to have "something', because the rates are ridiculous right now. I got a fullsize car for 5 1/2 days from Avis for a total of $270. Some places wanted $700-$900 for the same timeframe. I will keep checking and hope to find a better deal. Last summer my friend and I got an intermediate car for 5 1/2 days for under $100 total. I doubt I'll find anything THAT good, but something a little less would be nice since we are still so far out!

Thanks for the info though. I will probably try again in a couple of days....

I tried to use that site and it said they couldn't find any cars or something to that effect and told me to try different dates/times/locations' date=' etc. [/quote']

It's because next year is too far out for them, that's why we booked with Alamo. As the date opens up we will put a reservation in there to see if we can beat Alamo. If you put in something in the near future you will pull something up.

We got it through Alamo.

Right now very few car rental companies allow Auto Slash to work with them. The main (only?) use of Auto Slash is to enter a previously booked reservation and have them track it for lower rates. Even then I am not sure if they check all companies on that aspect of their service.

I'm still waiting for Enterprise's annual deal .... last yr it was at the end of August, so I'm checking their site every other day.

I keep checking there too. That's who we rented from last summer. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they have the sale again this year. Please let me know if you find it! THANKS!

GrandCanyon2005,

Sorry for hijacking your thread, I start a new one with my questions.

As an answer to one of your questions, we have booked the SeaLion for 2 nights in Homer. It has just 2 rooms above an art gallery on the Spit. It looks perfect for us.

I booked w/Enterprise about 1 1/2 weeks ago for a car rental (compact) for the first 2 weeks of June 2013 - it was $99.99 per week when we booked from the 5th Ave. location.

Wow! I've been looking constantly for those rates and never saw that. :( Did you book directly thru Enterprise?

Yes, booked directly on the website with Enterprise. I was on vacation last week, so I didn't check but go on their website and see if that $99.99 per week rate is still available. It WAS different (more expensive from the airport pick-up location) so be sure to check the 5th Ave. location. Good luck in your mission;)!

I booked w/Enterprise about 1 1/2 weeks ago for a car rental (compact) for the first 2 weeks of June 2013 - it was $99.99 per week when we booked from the 5th Ave. location.

BQ mentioned a few weeks ago about getting this rate for early June next year. For me, I require airport pickup and found a very attractive rate about three weeks ago for a minivan. Keep checking but I think the super cheap deals for next summer are gone already.

I can't believe I missed it. I have been checking almost daily for the last 8 weeks... and a couple of times a week before that. Darn!!!!!

Lucky for those who found it though.....

I will still keep checking though, just because....you never know!

Our family of four has booked our 2013 Aft Suite and Port Balcony (2 cabins on Princess Sapphire), but after creeping on everyone's posts, asking multiple questions, and doing hours/hours of research, I'm thinking of just doing a 14-day Land only, and would appreciate your opinions. We've booked a van for 14 days for $538 which I think is pretty good for 14 days. I've been to tripadvisor, but value opinions of those who post here. So, here are my questions:

1. If we wanted to stay 4+ nights in Denali, or area, where would you stay?

2. If we wanted to stay 2+ nights in Homer, or area, where would you stay?

3. What would be the best day-cruises (& out of where) for glacier viewing?

We would want to stay at Bed/Breakfast or Lodges in 3/4 night stays, so we're not moving all the time. At McKinley, we are planning on doing flightseeing and white-water rafting; a bear viewing excursion in the Homer area; flying over for a night or two at Glacier Bay Lodge in Gustavus. And probably spending a couple of days in Fairbanks (where my wife and I spent the first three months of our marriage, 26 years ago).

4. Where else would you want to go if you had another seven nights or so? In case you are wondering, we love to drive and go at our own pace.

5. Are we crazy to give up the cruise? We know you don't go to Alaska for the shows on the ship, but we love shows ... and still plan on seeing/doing everything possible in Alaska. Without shows like on Disney ships and RCL Oasis of the Seas, I'm afraid we would be disappointed. And "yes" I know that's not why you go to Alaska, but it's something we would expect if we were on a ship.

If we do give up our Aft Suite, one of you balcony ressies might be upgraded; haha.

Have you been to Alaska before? If not, I'd definitely do the cruise & land tour, for as long as you can. SouthEast Alaska port towns are totally different than interior Alaska. You'd not want to miss the rainforest aspect nor the interior Denali aspect.

Our first trip, we did cruise only as it was too early, Denali wasn't even open yet. We enjoyed the 7 day cruise immensely. For our second trip, I knew I wanted to see the Yukon and interior Alaska, so I chose a HAL cruisetour of 3 days on the ship and 8 days on land. I absolutely loved it. The only change I would make (were I to go again) would be 2 nights at each stop (instead of 1) and to purchase the meal vouchers.

Be prepared to pay about 1 1/2 times for food as what you pay at home. Have fun planning, then taking your trip to Alaska!

Have you been to Alaska before?

Yes, I lived in Anchorage for 3 months in 1983 and in Fairbanks for 3 months in 1986 ... I'm pretty set on what I want to do in the Interior, Homer, and Kodiak ... but have actually never been to Juneau, Skagway, or Ketchikan. After hearing that they were all primarily Princess owned, I began thinking of just doing the Glacier part out of Seward/Whittier or even staying at Glacier Park Lodge for a couple of nights.

Archived