Hard time picking family cruise on Carnival

DScroggy5

For some reason me and the hubby just can't settle on a family cruise. We are currently booked for the Carnival Fascination sailing out of Jacksonville on December 22nd. We have switched ships and dates 3 times now. Hubby is a past guest so we are not booking under early saver so we do not get penalties for switching until the final payment is made.

I work for a state university and am trying to sail when we will be on break so that I don't have to take extra days off of work and my 9 year old won't have to miss extra days of school either. With that---the cruises of course are more expensive during this time.

We want to try and get the most "bang" for our buck which is why we have switched so many times because we find what we think are "better" deals.

Our daughter will be 1 1/2 when we sail in December and now we are wondering if we should just hold off on cruising until she is 2? For those of you who have cruised with little ones under 2 what are your thoughts? Would you do it again? Or wait until they are 2? ~LaToya

Thanks!

When she turns 2, then she will be charged full tips of $11.50 per day, so add in a extra tip amount to the figures.

I cant see that at that age she will remember the cruise either way, just that if she is ok with being left (not all kids are at that age), you can leave her in camp carnival.

Until she is potty trained she cant use the pools.. so thats probably older than right when she turns 2?

I don't think it will make much difference in waiting until age 2. Bring a small plastic blowup swimming pool. You can give her a bath in it and you can take it up on deck for her to play in.

No camp carnival, but if you don't mind having her with you all of the time, I think you will be fine.

We have sailed with our grandson at 1yr and again at 2yrs. No problems for us at all. He was fine in the dining room and slept well at night. The pools will be off limits though as children must be potty trained. No swim diapers allowed.

I have never cruised when my kids were young. We did land vacations. But I do know that if you want a family vacation, you have to pay the price. DH and I and family and friends went on a cruise last month and also twice prior to that and we always paid close to double the price because of going in the summer months with family. Next cruise is DH and I and relatives that can cruise anytime and our price is almost half. :) We have the same type of cabin (balcony deck 7, but different cruise line). So even though we are going on different ships, we are still saving almost half going the end of February. I even priced the same cruise leaving a day later on Carnival, and I got a better price with RCI. I would have never believed that so I guess my timing on booking was right.

I don't see any difference between a 1 1/2 or 2 year old except it cost you more and maybe the child can go to Camp. please bring a DVD with you so the child can watch at dinner. This will keep the child happy and others at dinner two. Dinner in main dining room takes about 1 1/2 hours each night. A good child video last about 1 1/2 hours. We love Barney videos! This also gives you time to relax and not worry about the child wanting down when your eatting. The DVD is great when you want to be on deck also, in your cabin ect. Most children love TV or movies. I bring our DVD player for my husband! It works great for the airport, waiting for the cruise to start, relaxing in our cabin or balcony, on the plane ect. We do use earbuds. Not sure a 1 1/2 year old would use them but...... get a set that goes over the ear not in the ear. The table next to use used a DVD player for every dinner. I don't really love Barney but I would rather hear I love Barney song over a upset parent and child at dinner.

Relax and enjoy your cruise.

My dd who's 3 1/2 now, started cruising at 13 months. We loved it. She is going on her sixth this weekend when we go on the dream. WE have done other vacations with her including a week at disney and by far the best is cruising. Never thought to leave her home since these are family vacations and she has a great time even though she might not remember much of them. I will!

I don't see any difference between a 1 1/2 or 2 year old except it cost you more and maybe the child can go to Camp. please bring a DVD with you so the child can watch at dinner. This will keep the child happy and others at dinner two. Dinner in main dining room takes about 1 1/2 hours each night. A good child video last about 1 1/2 hours. We love Barney videos! This also gives you time to relax and not worry about the child wanting down when your eatting. The DVD is great when you want to be on deck also, in your cabin ect. Most children love TV or movies. I bring our DVD player for my husband! It works great for the airport, waiting for the cruise to start, relaxing in our cabin or balcony, on the plane ect. We do use earbuds. Not sure a 1 1/2 year old would use them but...... get a set that goes over the ear not in the ear. The table next to use used a DVD player for every dinner. I don't really love Barney but I would rather hear I love Barney song over a upset parent and child at dinner.

Relax and enjoy your cruise.

Don't forget to ask for a separate table if you're going to be playing DVDs in the main dining room.

Or teach her to behave and leave the restaurant immediately if she doesn't. Plying a video during dinner doesn't teach anything! We have travelled extensively with our son and, only once, had to leave a restaurant (he was 13 months old at the time)

Our daughter will be 1 1/2 when we sail in December and now we are wondering if we should just hold off on cruising until she is 2? For those of you who have cruised with little ones under 2 what are your thoughts? Would you do it again? Or wait until they are 2? ~LaToya

Thanks!

I have done it and I wouldn't again. Our dd was 15 months and always wanted to go go go. There weren't alot of places for her to walk/run around except our room and I was afraid to let her walk in any public areas for fear of running over. She didn't nap much either so we were all worn out early. Now, if you have a more adaptable child, your experiences might be different. At 2, there is camp carnival, which I will welcome because it gives my DD a place to PLAY and expend energy.

Our son's first cruise (ironically on the Fascination) when he was 12 months old was a bit rough. We had an enjoyable time, but it was challenging. Had we known better, we would've waited until he was old enough for Camp Carnival.

P.S. It gets better though. Our son has now taken 3 cruises and he's two years old.

Archived