So how old are most solo cruisers??

ChrisInRowX

I don't get called selfish I get "oh, that's so sad" accompanied by the sad face :(. I get the last laugh as I have traveled all over the world while they are stuck at home because they won't do anything on their own. I would never trade all of the places I have been to and things i've seen for anything.

Isn't it sad though, if you really think about it. Those that won't do things alone are really the ones missing a lot.:( Oh well, their loss!:D :eek:

Happy Solo cruising!!!

THIS! (the bolded part) The people who "barge in" on your vacation plans, meaning invite themselves along, are oftentimes the ones who are most likely to hijack your plans. Most commonly, they may refuse to do an activty you've been looking forward to, and won't let you go alone, "because they're afraid to be alone". They may try similar tactics to push you into join them in an activity you hate. Or worst all, accuse you of ruining "their" vacation when something doesn't go their way. It's the reason why I simply won't cruise with some people in my life, even though I respect them otherwise.

In fact, the first time I told some people that I prefered to cruise solo, I got called "not normal", "selfish bastard who doesn't want to compromise", or [dramatic tone of voice] "going all by yourself". These reactions alone put them on my "do not cruise" list.

For people who refuse to do an activty you like, and won't let you go alone because they're afraid to be alone, there's an expression: "dog on a haystack". It's a reference to a parable about a dog who was lying on a pile of hay and barking angrily at cows who came to eat, even though the dog won't eat the hay, obviously.

seems obvious people will even try to guilt you into not enjoying your life. that right there is just sad. I told people straight up, I am going on a cruise (which my good friends figured to mean don't try to come because this negro will act like he don't know you). honestly, I don't even like to travel that much, I have no real desire to do so but when I decide I am going somewhere then that is where I intend to go (as long as my money is good enough to get me there).

"dog on a haystack" i think I like that one.. I don't tell people that they cannot go but I do tell them that they cannot go with me. the only people on this earth that would have any veto power on that decision would be my children (and I don't have any of them) everyone else will get over it.

• 4 weeks later...

I went on my first solo 7 years ago and have cruised 12 solo cruises and have loved everyone of them . I get to do what I want to do and not have to worry about compromising. I to have friends who do not understand the lure of cruising/traveling solo and can't understand how I can have fun alone.

I went on my 1st cruise with friends at the age of 54 (in 2010) and fell in LOVE with cruising. The next year I went on a TA to Spain solo and had the time of my life. I met so many new people and made so many friends, I couldn't have dreamed of a better first solo experience. I stayed a couple of extra days in Barcelona and at first was a bit nervous...but in going out at night to Las Ramblas...I just used my iPhone and took pic's of the streets I took (before I found Google maps, duh!) to easily find my way back to my hotel which was just a couple of blocks away. I still drool thinking about the tapas.

Well, since then I've had a couple more solo cruises and have had similar fabulous experiences. Also traveled with friends and had great times but will never stop traveling solo if I can't find someone who I know has my travel values and is independent enough to get by.

I love to be seated at the largest table in the MDR and talk about my day with get to know my travel mates. And I also get involved in the CC roll call and that helps a lot. Love cruising!! Oh....I'll be 57 in 11 minutes! Happy Birthday to me on April 7th!

Oh....I'll be 57 in 11 minutes! Happy Birthday to me on April 7th!

Happy Birthday. Today is also my birthday, but I'm 8 years older. I took my first solo cruise last November and booked on one next Jan.

Don

Happy birthday kccpa and dcoy.

I came back off my 1st solo cruise end of march, 21nts, was a tad nervous, of going on a longest cruise, there was eight sea days,what if I didn't like it, did I enjoy it? ,you bet!!!.now ready to go again .I am 60,. Going in two weeks time, for 3nts with my 12yr grandson, he does his thing and I do mine, unless we,re going on an outing. So its like being solo. And I know that once he's older, he will be going solo,as he now has the taste for cruising, thanks to me. He's already started saving for it.

Angie

My ID says I'm 45, but I swear I must really be 35! It's easy to find young people on board. We are about the only ones up late in the disco! Go there and you'll find us. There are usually a few solo cruiser activities...and if you don't see them, stop your cruise director and ask if they can schedule something or tell you of upcoming plans.

I'm 23. Haven't cruised solo yet, but just booked a 7-day Western Med on the Epic for June 2014. I have taken many solo, land-based trips, so travelling alone is nothing new to me. On the other hand, I have taken many more trips with family and friends, but it is nice to go solo and not have to worry about what anyone else wants to do. This past summer, I took two solo land-based trips to St. Maarten (see screename=Maho Beach :cool:) and Iceland.

I'm 23. Haven't cruised solo yet, but just booked a 7-day Western Med on the Epic for June 2014. I have taken many solo, land-based trips, so travelling alone is nothing new to me. On the other hand, I have taken many more trips with family and friends, but it is nice to go solo and not have to worry about what anyone else wants to do. This past summer, I took two solo land-based trips to St. Maarten (see screename=Maho Beach :cool:) and Iceland.

I did that itinerary on the Epic back in 2011, you will have a lot of fun! Feel free to ask if you have any questions.

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed everyone is younger than I. Few in their 60's. Just widowed last year. I am 76 but think I'm way younger. I am really considering this. I need an adventure about now. We always loved cruising and took several a year. I think I can do it. Any other young old people out there?

I noticed everyone is younger than I. Few in their 60's. Just widowed last year. I am 76 but think I'm way younger. I am really considering this. I need an adventure about now. We always loved cruising and took several a year. I think I can do it. Any other young old people out there?

I am 55...a bit younger than you but I say go for it:D:):D It is the

only way I cruise.

If you think you are young then other people will think so also. If you have your health and enjoy doing things that other "younger" people enjoy then join in. One of the best cruises I ever went on was when I hooked up with a very nice woman in her sixties. I was 56 and I thought she was younger than me until she told me she was a grandmother. When she told me her age I was quite surprised. She was also surprised that I was over 50. We both thought we were meeting and becoming friends with a younger person. That was a great fun-filled cruise that made us both feel younger.

I am 37 and have gone on two cruises with one of those being solo. I enjoyed it very much and trying to decide on which one to do next this year. On both my cruises I noticed that there were a good amount of solo or single with friends cruisers. More than I expected to bump into.

Go for it. I am not young and I am going on my first solo next Jan. I am a widower since last Aug and always loved cruising. I am so looking forward to the trip.

• 2 weeks later...
How do you all find good solo rates? or do they exist?

I have always done carnival and seems to be about the same as taking a friend

I don't know what rates anyone else pays. When you ask how do you

find "good solo rates"?.....

I look at the total price and if it is in my pricepoint. If it is? And the timing

and itinerary appealing? Then I book;)

We all have our own priorities, budgets, etc......:) and I have no desire

to bring a friend or share a cabin with anyone.

The price I pay is all worth it to me:)

Archived