So how old are most solo cruisers??

ChrisInRowX

How do you all find good solo rates? or do they exist?

I have always done carnival and seems to be about the same as taking a friend

Because Carnival is reasonably priced to begin with, they charge full 200% to solo cruisers. The expensive cruise lines charge 150% or less but it still costs you more in actual dollars. That's the way it goes.

Because Carnival is reasonably priced to begin with, they charge full 200% to solo cruisers. The expensive cruise lines charge 150% or less but it still costs you more in actual dollars. That's the way it goes.

I do the same as Lois and agree with her. To cruise solo and not have to deal with issues of others it's well worth it. Carnival is not always the lowest price point even at 200% vs other lines. Don't be fooled Carnival is almighty always cheaper. I've found some cheaper solo cruises on Royal Caribbean. Just have to be somewhat flexible and shop around a bit. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Please excuse any typographical errors.

I am 54 and will be taking my second cruise, and first solo cruise from Quebec City to Boston this fall. My first cruise really drove home the point that although I love the friend that I cruised with dearly, I don't like sharing a room. Although we talked about and planned an agreed upon mix of expeditions - active for me, sedentary for her, some shared and some solo - when the time came, anything other than sedentary and together was an issue for her. I've traveled all over for business on my own and am totally comfortable by myself. If I meet like minded folks on-board, great. If not, I'll enjoy myself anyway.

• 3 weeks later...
My first solo was 7 years ago at age 59. I am about to take another and can't wait. As far as being old, I'm not dead yet!!! As long as the heart keeps beating, I'll keep dreaming.:)

Hi, love reading about solo cruising, will be taking my first in August on Norwegian Breakaway, I'm now 55 yrs. old and Looking forward to it.

Thanks to all the positive postings

Margie

I do the same as Lois and agree with her. To cruise solo and not have to deal with issues of others it's well worth it. Carnival is not always the lowest price point even at 200% vs other lines. Don't be fooled Carnival is almighty always cheaper. I've found some cheaper solo cruises on Royal Caribbean. Just have to be somewhat flexible and shop around a bit. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Please excuse any typographical errors.

Hi:)...not sure where in Florida you live but we have a nice

thread for a bunch of us who also live in FL:D...if you want to come

say hello here is the link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1442008

I noticed everyone is younger than I. Few in their 60's. Just widowed last year. I am 76 but think I'm way younger. I am really considering this. I need an adventure about now. We always loved cruising and took several a year. I think I can do it. Any other young old people out there?

Hi there! I just turned 70 and have done 3 solo cruises since becoming a "solo" and loved every one of them. You can do it, people are friendly to us solos! :D I'm now looking at a back-to-back Italy cruise and a transatlantic home for a total of about 30 days, I think. I'm terrified!! It's one thing to do the Caribbean and Alaska, but Europe is another ballgame. :eek: But at our age, I want to do everything I can while I still can!! ;) Go for it, start with a weeks alone cruise to get your "solo sea legs", then branch out! :)

Good Luck,

Sue

I noticed everyone is younger than I. Few in their 60's. Just widowed last year. I am 76 but think I'm way younger. I am really considering this. I need an adventure about now. We always loved cruising and took several a year. I think I can do it. Any other young old people out there?

I am 63 and also a widow.I never cruised while my husband was alive!!he died 17 years ago! BUT done many cruises since then with family or friends.My problem now is that no one is as keen as I am on cruising except for ne very close friend but her funds do not allow it.so need to 'grow up' and set sail solo!!!!!!

i will have a trial n two weeks as my daughter ,her family and her in laws ...we are all going n Epic and I am n a studio.I do not want to impose on any of the family members so will try the solo thing on Epic!!!!!

You know how "they" always say, "you're only as old as you feel"....some days I'm sooooooo old! And, some days I scare myself with all my energy.

I just lost my dear husband on April 11th and he had stopped cruising because he said he didn't enjoy it anymore....I never lost the love for the open seas and the wind in my hair. It won't be the same without him, it will be different, that's for sure.

The world's a very different place for the "table for one" crowd, I'm learning a whole new world exists.

You sound like you have a wonderful sense of yourself and a spirit to enjoy the open seas. Have fun....enjoy life....I think our DH's would have wanted us to live life.

Roz, I'm sure they would. I'm looking forward to it. So, you are brave too.

Carol

Carol, I'm a lot brave, a lot adventurous, a lot loving life, a lot loving people and a lot trying to be brave!

It's all we can do is try! What's the worst that can happen?

Just booked the first Solo cruise. This is a giant step for me. I need an adventure. So I'm all set to go. Dec.1 2013 On the Independence.

Carol:)

Congratulations Carol, I will be doing my first solo in August on Breakaway!!

Margie

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Bonzy..I am 64, almost 65. Been cruising since late 80's, and love it more each time. I have usually cruised with family or friends, but once shared a room with another lady. And, my first cruise was sharing a quad room with three others. Now I am going on my first totally solo cruise October 20 on NCL.

I am really looking forward to it!

I did one previous solo cruise when I was 29, my best friend canceled a month before and I decided to go any way I had a great time meet some nice folks and did a few excursions I knew she would never have done. my favorite a seaplane tour over the US and British Virgin Islands (beautiful). I am finaling taking my next solo cruise this november, I will be 49 :eek: going to Bermuda on the Grandeur. I have been to Bermuda before but never on a cruise so looking forward to revisiiting a few spots :D

I turned 30 in June and I'm going on my 1st ever cruise on the Epic next week.

Im So excited and wish I'd tried it out years ago.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

You are the perfect age to start cruising. Old enough to drink responsibly and young enough to have many years of fun times on cruises ahead of you. Have a wonderful time on your first cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thank you 42cruisecrazy. The TA I booked with said once I come back ill be running back to her booking my next one. I can see that happening.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

That's what happened with me when I came back from my first cruise in 2007.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The first cruise that counts?;) I was 45 and that was in May 2003.

I had cruised 11 years before that.....it was on a 3 night cruise in Oct 1992

for my parents 50th Wedding anniversary (they are both gone now:().

But for some reason I never took a cruise after that one:eek:....wish

I had though!

But now, it is 2013.....and I try to cruise 2/3 times a year and since

that 2003 cruise? I have close to 40 of them:D....If I had been smart,

I would have started on a regular basis back in the 90s....but as they

say, better late than never:)

Hey all, so I just found out a couple of days ago that the NCL Epic has solo cabins. Looking to book a Mediterranean cruise sometaime in '13. I'm 31, and was just wondering if there would be other people close to my age. Anyone have any input?

I'm 59 and have not solo cruised YET. Someday...:)

Archived