Aussies being ripped off, price gorging and the ACCC.

Good deal, Liz. Makes you wonder just how much commission high volume TAs get, when they can afford to give you $950 OBC and still make a profit.

It is not an equal playing field booking overseas cruises - better deals, lower deposits, refundable deposits until final payment.

And I bet the local cruise line agencies - and Australian TAs - would like to get the same volume as the high volume TAs in the US as well!

And I bet the local cruise line agencies - and Australian TAs - would like to get the same volume as the high volume TAs in the US as well!

I should imagine they would! But that doesnt mean we as Australian cruisers should pay a premium for their shortcomings by them selling to a local market only?

If Australian T/As advertised to US cruisers and were more competitive with their prices they would get a share as well!

If the shoe was on the other foot and Australian T/A,s advertised cruises with better benefits and better $for$ value than US T/As then I am sure many Americans would use the cheaper Australian T/As as Australians cruisers have sought out US T/A,s up until now for the exact same reason! Cost!

I should imagine they would! But that doesnt mean we as Australian cruisers should pay a premium for their shortcomings by them selling to a local market only?

There'll always likely be some small premium - the more offices, and staff, and regulations you need to follow, the more labour and operating costs you have.

However, I was pointing out though that the reason they can give such discounts (or credits) is due to volume, like the supermarket and Walmart model. High volume = low margin.

There are also many TAs in the US who don't give any extra credits or discounts though. Just like here, they don't get as much cruise specific volume.

Apologies if this is a repost but it's a very long thread. Been doing some research and should the same be said about Holden? Or even Subway?

2012 Holden Cruze CD Demo drive away price = $24,888 vs 2012 Chevy Cruze LS Demo MSRP $16,720 (same car... Different badge)

Subway has $5 foot longs sandwiches in the US but here in AUS it's a $7 or $8 dollar foot long.

Cereal, beer, produce... Many other items (you get what in saying)... That are all most times more expensive in AUS. Cost of living? Or do Aussies just pay it because they always have?

No because if an Australian Citizen eats a footlong subway in USA it will cost them the same USA price not the Australian price! a USA cruise sold here in Australia should cost the same as it does in USA because you are consuming the same USA cruise product as USA Citizens are and not a more expensive Australian product:)

No because if an Australian Citizen eats a footlong subway in USA it will cost them the same USA price not the Australian price! a USA cruise sold here in Australia should cost the same as it does in USA because you are consuming the same USA cruise product as USA Citizens are and not a more expensive Australian product:)

except its sold to you where you live not where you consume it.

much like insurance...By the way would you be complaining so much if they charged you less?

Much like airplanes even if you bought in the US there is always someone who paid less than you...

There'll always likely be some small premium - the more offices, and staff, and regulations you need to follow, the more labour and operating costs you have.

However, I was pointing out though that the reason they can give such discounts (or credits) is due to volume, like the supermarket and Walmart model. High volume = low margin.

There are also many TAs in the US who don't give any extra credits or discounts though. Just like here, they don't get as much cruise specific volume.

Then they shouldnt be in the cruise market bussines at our expense but their own!

Originally Posted by fishtaco

No because if an Australian Citizen eats a footlong subway in USA it will cost them the same USA price not the Australian price! a USA cruise sold here in Australia should cost the same as it does in USA because you are consuming the same USA cruise product as USA Citizens are and not a more expensive Australian product

"except its sold to you where you live not where you consume it."

This is true but a cruise with a USA company should cost what the cruise costs in US Dollars no more no less no matter where you live!

A footlong Subway bought in Australia costs more money to produce than a footlong subway in USA even if its consumed in USA!

A cruise with a US company costs that US company no more than it charges US citizens?

Then they shouldnt be in the cruise market bussines at our expense but their own!

I'm not sure what you mean. They should only sell cruises if they sell a large volume of them, so can discount their commission? I don't agree with that.

It is really amusing to me that some folks just don't understand that some of us are happy that we are getting a better deal in the US. Happy to save our money, and just happy to be going on another cruise.

We are all entitled to our opinions however I really can't see why the cost of a Subway has entered the forum:D:D

It is really amusing to me that some folks just don't understand that some of us are happy that we are getting a better deal in the US. Happy to save our money, and just happy to be going on another cruise.

We are all entitled to our opinions however I really can't see why the cost of a Subway has entered the forum:D:D

Subway indeed ??? :eek:

Whats wrong with some Burgernomics? :D

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/daily-ticker/big-mac-index-burgernomics-145755381.html

S and P

Was in the process of transferring my recently booked (2014) Alaska cruise to US TA (good OBC deal), all looked ok except the TA came back today and said that RCCL could not transfer the booking because i had already made a payment in Australian dollars (the deposit). I need to cancel the booking and make a new one with the US agent who will now give me another $150 discount for the effort. Hopefully i won't lose the hump cabin i had.

Archived