Mediterranean on Eurodam - Port or Starboard for Sailing In and Out

ourcruise777

Hi

I’m fairly new to CC. Hope this is the correct place to ask this question.

We’re doing the 21 day Mediterranean Splendour on Eurodam. Is it better to have a port side or starboard side room for better view at the balcony during sailing in and out?

Our ports are – Rome – Livorno – Monte Carlo – Barcelona – Palma – Tunisia - Palermo – Naples – Rome – Kerkira, Cofu – Katakolon – Santorini – Kusadasi – Piraeus – Messina – Naples – Rome.

(I tried to cut and paste to include the map but was not able to.)

Thanks very much for any advice / suggestion.

Captains are the ones who make the decision about how the ship will be positioned at the docks depending on currants etc.. I think it will not make much difference on what side of the ship your cabin is, it will be great either side. Have a wonderful cruise.

Hi

Our ports are – Rome – Livorno – Monte Carlo – Barcelona – Palma – Tunisia - Palermo – Naples – Rome – Kerkira, Cofu – Katakolon – Santorini – Kusadasi – Piraeus – Messina – Naples – Rome.

If you are asking which will be land side during sailing - the following will be true if you are leaving from Civitavecchia ( Rome ) toward Barcelona - the answer you may be looking for is starboard on the first half - - you will be going up the west coast of Italy after the ship leaves the port and in all following ports will be on land side - when you dock though you may end up away from the port quite often. Did not dock in Livorno, in Monte Carlo - did not make a difference- city on both sides port had a castle, Barcelona - the Hal ships tend to have dock side to be port, Palma - port to the land, Tunisia did not make a difference. Once you come back to ROme the next leg the land side will be port and in most cases the land will be starboard. Corfu - do not remember but it is not all that large, Santorini - is tender and one side faces the island and the other the volcano island- 50/50 on that one, Kusadasi and Piraeus was not all that near anything with seeing - that includes a drive from port and then Messina and Napes would be back on starboard since you are heading back up the coast of Italy ( that means that probably docked starboard will be away from port).

Not sure if this answers anything but hey- gave you something to read. BTW - what an awesome combination- have a wonderful time regardless of starboard or port - personal favorites Barcelona Rome Kusadasi Piraeus but each one has favorites and soon you will too!!!!

We did this cruise two two years ago, and, anticipating the question, I kept count. We didn't do Naples twice. So 14 dockings, 6 port side, 8 starboard. Needless to say, not worth using dockside as a cabin choice.

A couple ports you will want to be on the bow for sail in and out, so no preference there.

When tendering, sometimes the ship moves with the wind (to protect the tendering operation), so the view will vary. So no preference there.

When at sea, and not coming or going from a port, you will not be in sight of land. No preference there.

As mentioned, the scenery is all around you. So picking a cabin is really not a better view side issue in about 98% of the time.

Hi

If you are asking which will be land side during sailing - the following will be true if you are leaving from Civitavecchia ( Rome ) toward Barcelona - the answer you may be looking for is starboard on the first half - - you will be going up the west coast of Italy after the ship leaves the port and in all following ports will be on land side - when you dock though you may end up away from the port quite often. Did not dock in Livorno, in Monte Carlo - did not make a difference- city on both sides port had a castle, Barcelona - the Hal ships tend to have dock side to be port, Palma - port to the land, Tunisia did not make a difference. Once you come back to ROme the next leg the land side will be port and in most cases the land will be starboard. Corfu - do not remember but it is not all that large, Santorini - is tender and one side faces the island and the other the volcano island- 50/50 on that one, Kusadasi and Piraeus was not all that near anything with seeing - that includes a drive from port and then Messina and Napes would be back on starboard since you are heading back up the coast of Italy ( that means that probably docked starboard will be away from port).

Not sure if this answers anything but hey- gave you something to read. BTW - what an awesome combination- have a wonderful time regardless of starboard or port - personal favorites Barcelona Rome Kusadasi Piraeus but each one has favorites and soon you will too!!!!

Thanks so much for your answer. I should have been clearer in my original post – I was indeed asking about seeing land side during sailing in and out of port (not which side it will be docked) because I remember enjoying ourselves at the balcony during our cruise to the Baltics. So for our coming Med cruise, there would be more land scenery in passing if we have a starboard room. Thanks again for your help and I am so excited about the trip.

Our ports are – Rome – Livorno – Monte Carlo – Barcelona – Palma – Tunisia - Palermo – Naples – Rome – Kerkira, Cofu – Katakolon – Santorini – Kusadasi – Piraeus – Messina – Naples – Rome.[/font][/size]

Most of these ports .....the bow is the best place to be at sail in ......and the stern for sail out ..........for the ports we have sailed to: including Rome – Livorno – Monte Carlo – Barcelona – Naples – Katakolon – Santorini – Kusadasi – Piraeus – Messina.

The way the ship docks is actually more important. And that is hard to predict. If you dock at Monte Carlo for example, if the ship has the bow to the west, the starboard would be best to view the city. If the Captain backs in and the bow is east pointing, port would be best.

Thanks so much for your answer. I should have been clearer in my original post – I was indeed asking about seeing land side during sailing in and out of port (not which side it will be docked) because I remember enjoying ourselves at the balcony during our cruise to the Baltics. So for our coming Med cruise, there would be more land scenery in passing if we have a starboard room. Thanks again for your help and I am so excited about the trip.

Other than immediately around sailing time - an hour before or after - you will not be within sight of land. So there really isn't a preference on sides of the ship.

Archived