Culinary Arts Classes?

I Luv Crusin

We are going on the Westerdam in two weeks? We loved the classes we took on the Veendam years ago. I was wondering if they are still offering them and how to sign up for them? Last time we went I just registered at the customer service desk as soon as we boarded.

Thanks!

We are going on the Westerdam in two weeks? We loved the classes we took on the Veendam years ago. I was wondering if they are still offering them and how to sign up for them? Last time we went I just registered at the customer service desk as soon as we boarded.

Thanks!

I hope so, because I will be right there with ya!

Yes --they still have the Culinary Art classes -- held in the Queen's Lounge on the Westerdam -- $29 per person -- limited to 12 people.

Sign up at the Front Desk. They will even show you the menu for what is going to be prepared.

Do they have the classes on the Oosterdam?

Originally Posted by I Luv Crusin

Would you be willing to share more about the classes? This really is interesting to me...I've taken cooking classes at Sur La Table and they are a lot of fun. Do you actually prepare recipes, eat what you prepare, etc or is it more of a demo?

• 2 weeks later...

Would you be willing to share more about the classes? This really is interesting to me...I've taken cooking classes at Sur La Table and they are a lot of fun. Do you actually prepare recipes, eat what you prepare, etc or is it more of a demo?

When we did it 6 years ago we did the cooking under the direction of the chefs. It was fun! And yes we ate!

I'll post more when we return!

....I was wondering if they are still offering them and how to sign up for them? Last time we went I just registered at the customer service desk as soon as we boarded.

After forming two to three-person teams, you cut, dice, shred, peel, core, crack, stir and cook/bake every item of the recipes in the culinary classes. The chef does the plating at the end to save time. That being said, some chefs are a little more participating than others in the preparation to save some time.

I have eaten my creations mostly in the Pinnacle Grill but once in the Culinary Arts Center. The wine with dinner is free (as are sodas if you prefer).

Some of the recipes were the same item served in the MDR the same evening but since we are rookie chefs, our portions were a lot larger than when it is served in the MDR.

Many mistakes are made and become very funny when family member retaliate against each other with a swipe of chocolate.

I have learned to flip crepes, skin salmon, cook with chocolate, design garnish, frying techniques, cut vegetables, create marinades, handle puffed pastry, etc.

Since some of the participants may be on diets, be prepared to accept a larger portion and possibly an extra dessert.:)

Sign up as soon as you board lest you be disappointed. Note that there are usually two classes on each cruise.

Enjoy!!

Archived