Hurricane Adrian

OK that settles the argument with the husband on the "We don't need any insurance, it's a waste of money, it's not like it is going to be as bad as last year".. HA! I win this one. INsuranec for everyone!

living in florida i can honestly say NO MAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

I second that motion!!!!! :eek:

And by the time it hits the Bahamas it's forecast to be downgraded to a depression. And with the mountainous regions it has to cross, most likely not even a strong depression when it his the bahamas. But definitely rainy.

Thanks Terry, I guess no Cococay for me this weekend :rolleyes:
Unfortunately though Nyco, I think you're right. Probably won't be able to tender if you hit CocoCay this weekend. Good luck though.

Just heard from a friend who's on the Mariner and she says it's been very cloudy and in St. Thomas today there are puddles everywhere. She said the Captain told them last night there was a chance of sun today!!!!!!

I never thought a Tropical system would effect a May cruise. I guess my curse of "If it's going to happen to anyone, it will happen to me" is till in effect.

We are going to be in the Bahamas area in the path of Tropical Depression Adrian!

Everyone buy your Bonine NOW!! :eek:

Hey, but we will be on vacation no matter what! :)

Maybe they will do a "reverse Itinerary! :rolleyes:

Jacquelyn :D

Tropical storm paths are notoriously difficult to predict and here we have one that is still in the Pacific and will need to cross Central America and its mountains before it can even enter the Caribbean, let alone the Atlantic. No sense worrying about something we can't control, especially this far out. If, and that's a big IF, the Mariner has to alter our itinerary next week, I am sure we will deal with it. :)

Thanks for the encouraging words NegC....I was waiting for that.....we leave Friday on Voyager from NY to Labadee, Grand Cayman, Jamaica and the Bahamas. Here's hoping Adrian fizzles.....

Barb

The USA's Global Model clearly shows some sort of low approaching the southern coast of Cuba on Saturday morning. Whatever is left of it (National Hurricane Center says it could still be a tropical depression)...the models all show it...

http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/nw...fs_slp_084s.gif

If this system holds together as a tropical system, it will be the first time since 1966 (when satellite pictures began in the Pacific) that a tropical storm/depression has crossed from the Pacific into the Atlantic in this manner.

Meanwhile, a different system (not tropical in nature-but sure wet) continues to dump heavy rain and cause flash flooding in P. Rico and the USVI.

Latest radar...

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/radar/lates...0/si.tjua.shtml

I'm curious (humor me since 1- I have never cruised before and 2- I didn't expect to be cruising in tropical storm/depression weather)... will the cruise line just push ahead on the itinerary as usual, divert to a place with better weather, or what?

I am just excited to be going on vacation, but I do want to know if I need to pack my rain gear or plan for a day on the ship instead of snorkeling in Nassau. Coco Cay and Nassau are our only ports (and tendering isn't looking very likely), so it looks like either way, with current predictions, we'll be impacted. Any insight would be welcomed :D

Laura, in the case of a severe storm, the Captain will keep the ship out of danger as best possible. Going around a storm might mean delayed arrival, a missed port or a change of ports. Considering the actual number of ships sailing daily, this is really fairly rare. If it's just heavy rain, it's also possible he will continue on and you might be out some deck time. You'll port at Nassau on Wednesday, so no worries there. Most likely Adrian will have moved on enough that you'll get good weather. CocoCay will be iffy because you do have to tender there. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

My horror story. The one Mexican Riviera cruise we took on the Elation was wrought with bad weather. As we went south, down the coast, a hurricane was heading north. Our day in Puerto Vallarta was nothing but rain. We missed both Mazatlan and Costa Maya because at that time both were still tender-ports and the seas were just too high. So we ended up in Ensenada. The 80%+ Califorian passengers onboard were not at all happy with stopping in Ensenada. But what can you do? Us, we enjoyed the finally sunny day and shopped and shopped and shopped. So much we had to return to the ship for more money before we could finish. It's all in what you make of it (and if you're lucky enough not to get sick :D).

You'll have a fine cruise. Don't worry.

Archived