Can you put Transderm on after you get sick?

jill5269

I did pretty well on a cruise in June with just ginger and Sea-bands, but I'm cruising in 11 days and I'm worried about rougher seas. I'd rather not use it if I don't have to. Can I put it on if I feel myself getting sick already? Will it work? I might just stick to Bonine and ginger and my trusty Sea-band but I don't want my trip to be spoiled.

Generally the patch is of little value after the "sickness" begins, tho there have been exceptions reported. Also, if you use the patch be sure to carefully read the warnings...The bands, making use of accupressure and when applied properly have no secondary responses and work well. Also, as you noted Bonnie and Ginger are useful adjuncts to the band. If you use a band suggest avoid the one size fits all variety and get one adjustable to your wrist ( far better results)

Hate the patch. It dilates my eyes. I've tried it twice, and I'm pretty sure I didn't rub my eyes after applying the patch. The last time I tried it, my eyes did not go back to normal until a week AFTER I took off the patch. Never again. DH and I use meclazine (Bonine). --Katie

I used to use the patches, but the side effects are just so strong! I would always put a new one on before the first one "ran" out because I was told that it won't really work once you get sick. Also, it takes about 12 hours for the patch to kick in.

I started using Bonine, which I really like, the side effects are very minimal, and I didnt need any ginger or sea bands with the bonine.

I think I'm just going with what I have and hopefully I'll be okay. I'm a seasick type of person who, since my last cruise, has developed BPV. BPV is vertigo. I haven't had a bad bout for two years, but I still can't look up or down sometimes, feels like an earthquake. I don't want anything to aggravate it like a strong drug. They gave me Meclazine (prescription) for the vertigo so I might just use that.

Thanks for the advice, I know this topic has been covered "ad nauseum". LOL.

I think I'm just going with what I have and hopefully I'll be okay. I'm a seasick type of person who, since my last cruise, has developed BPV. BPV is vertigo. I haven't had a bad bout for two years, but I still can't look up or down sometimes, feels like an earthquake. I don't want anything to aggravate it like a strong drug. They gave me Meclazine (prescription) for the vertigo so I might just use that.

Thanks for the advice, I know this topic has been covered "ad nauseum". LOL.

I have BPV, too. Did they roll you around to put the rocks back in the right places in your ears?

It really does work. I am more affected by ships/amusement park rides, etc, than before I had it, though :(. --Katie

For what it's worth, I have had no problems with the patch, and I ALWAYS wait to put it on until I need it. Sometimes I don't. I generally start to feel--well, not really nauseated, but rather a little "not right." Out of sorts, I guess you would say. That's when I take a dose of Bonine and put the patch on. The patch has always worked for me after the fact. I know this because, when I have used just Bonine, I can feel it when it wears off. With the patch, I get four good days. I'm sorry to hear others have suffered such aggravating side effects.

I find that I use 1/2 a patch (just cut it in half) and that works great. A whole patch is pretty strong. They even used a Transderm patch on me when I was having surgery.

After 20+ cruises I can handle the side effects of the patch (1/2 that is) pretty well. I would rather not use one but it is better than not enjoying the cruise.

I find that I use 1/2 a patch (just cut it in half) and that works great. A whole patch is pretty strong. They even used a Transderm patch on me when I was having surgery.

After 20+ cruises I can handle the side effects of the patch (1/2 that is) pretty well. I would rather not use one but it is better than not enjoying the cruise.

You really use a half patch? I never thought of that, I think I'll try that next month.

I did pretty well on a cruise in June with just ginger and Sea-bands, but I'm cruising in 11 days and I'm worried about rougher seas. I'd rather not use it if I don't have to. Can I put it on if I feel myself getting sick already? Will it work? I might just stick to Bonine and ginger and my trusty Sea-band but I don't want my trip to be spoiled.

Yes, it will work. The onset time can vary. I have never needed 12 or even four hours for it to kick in. The times I tried to go without it and then started to feel sick, I applied the patch and felt better soon after. I did apply it at the first hint of queasiness. I know now just to put it on.

I wish that Bonnie and ginger would work for me (sigh). If it did, I wouldn't be using the patch, but better safe than sorry so that you can enjoy your cruise--be prepared with whatever works for you.

Teddie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to say that you should not cut the patch. It interferes with the dosage delivery and is not safe. I know people do it. The packaging insert warns against it.

Teddie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know if Bonine is available in Canada, but it is over the counter so you could always buy it online. Or, if you are leaving a US port, plan to stop at a drip store or grocery store and buy it there before getting on the ship. Worst case, I've seen it available on the ship, but it costs a bit more...

I have BPV, too. Did they roll you around to put the rocks back in the right places in your ears?
It really does work. I am more affected by ships/amusement park rides, etc, than before I had it, though :(. --Katie

Yes Katie! They did that to me after I had an attack in Wildwood where I couldn't even move! I was able to get home through friends but was out of work for a week. They did the Epley maneuver after that and it surely helped. It was terrible though, OMG, I felt like I was spinning in space. Perhaps another treatment will help. What I have now is manageable though.

Hate the patch. It dilates my eyes. I've tried it twice, and I'm pretty sure I didn't rub my eyes after applying the patch.

Yes, that can happen even if you don't touch your eyes after applying.

I used to use the patches, but the side effects are just so strong! I would always put a new one on before the first one "ran" out because I was told that it won't really work once you get sick. Also, it takes about 12 hours for the patch to kick in.

You should never wear more than one patch at a time. It's funny that you think the side effects are "just so strong", but then you are applying more than one patch at a time :confused:

You should never cut a patch in half. It is designed as a drug delivery system, and cutting it may interfere with the rate of drug release.

I plan on putting the patch on tonight - I cruise on Majesty tomorrow. I know I get seasick, so I'd rather not take the chance. I was worried about side effects, so I put a patch on a few weeks ago and wore it for 3 days. No side effects at all.

Good luck!

Archived