Next Port Protection

Birubi

I also would point out that sometimes the Customs line at Vancouver can be unbelievable. For instance, when one or two Jumbo's from Asia arrive at the same time, the lines for Customs may be up to two hours! I still think that the Next Port Protection is not a good idea. I would still demand the earlier and more expensive flight.

Two hours just is not enough.

Flying the day before would be the best solution to this issue IMO

It would save the cruise line money in the long run to just pay for overnight hotel. That has to cost less than onward travel to LA and all the costs.

I don't know if OP is able to leave the day before but it seems likely if they can cruise for such a long time, being away one more day may not make a difference.

This is why we book our own air. Have not booked air with any cruise line in years. The airlines are difficult to deal as well but it is better handing air one self.

Hope for the best for this traveller. I would do what I could to change in advance, fly in a day in advance.

• 4 weeks later...
I wish you the best of luck and hope you make the ship on time.

Please let us know the outcome of this situation.

Well the day of embarkation came and went and I heard nothing so I called HAL and was advised my clients boarded at 3:45 pm. That must be a record in time from flight landing to embarking - at total of 90 minutes from plane landing to embarking the ship.

Whew a sigh of relief from me when I spoke to HAL.

Cheers,

Debra

Flying the day before would be the best solution to this issue IMO

It would save the cruise line money in the long run to just pay for overnight hotel. That has to cost less than onward travel to LA and all the costs.

There would probably be no expense to the cruise line at all (unless they decide to eat the cost). Every air/sea contract I can recall has in the fine print a clause that allows the cruise line, if necessary, to assign an itinerary that requires a "forced overnight." This case would be a good example -- there's no good routing that gets the client in at a reasonable time on the day of sailing so they leave themselves the choice of bringing them in the day prior with a mandatory overnight hotel stay AT THE PASSENGER'S EXPENSE. For someone on a 58-day cruise that additional expense might/should be waived but they have the right to charge it. Of course, things could be different Down Under.

Deb,

thanks for the conclusion to the sotry.

You sound like a wonderful Travel Agent.

aomw day I will do a criuse down your way. It is on my bucket list.

BTW, Aussie are the best vacationers I have ever met. Canadians the second best.

I hope that you make your cruise OP. I think what HAL is putting you through is nonsense.

One thing that I would want to do though if it were me, is to divide those three days between Vancouver and LA. Vancouver is a lovely city to visit. Perhaps you could spend the first night and most of the day in Vancouver if the ship sails without you and spend the next couple of days exploring LA. If you are given lemons I think that you should at least try to make lemonade. I would call my TA and ask her to check to see if this is a possibility.

Good Luck.

Greetings all,

As Birubi's TA I wanted to add some information to this thread, so that you all had the full story. They are flying from Australia to Vancouver to do a 58 day cruise from Vancouver and circumnavigation around Australia. Firstly as my clients are in Australia the operation is slightly different than in the US and air deviations are not offered in Australia. I suspect that is becase there are very limited options for flights from Australia. They were originally booked on a codeshare flight with Air NZ that was operated by Air Canada. Apparently when the Australian office went to issue the tickets the fare they had costed the fly/cruise package on had increased significantly so the Australian office looked for other options and the flights they are now booked on are the only other option that has any hope of getting them there on time.

Their scheduled arrival is 2:15 with the ship set to sail at 4:45. Because of the timing of this flight the Sydney office had to get approval from the head office in the US. As the timing is so tight HAL advised us about the next port protection policy that when you book the air with HAL if the flight they have you booked on causes you to miss your cruise they will fly you on to the next port and pay for the accomodation and flight, I am not sure if they pay for other expenses but I will certainly be fighting for compensation for my client if this should eventuate.

I guess it is good to hear that none of you have had experience with next port protection and hopefully that is because it is very rare for this to occur. I certainly have never had a client miss a ship and hopefully these lovely people will not be the first!

While I can't get HAL to give me any details of how many Australians are on the same flight my guess is that it must a significant number as if it was only a few people surely they would have just ticketed the higher fare then have the exense of flying people on to LA and guests miss the start of their cruise. So if my assumption is correct despite saying otherwise I expect HAL would hold the ship rather than upset so many people. I have certainly been on cruises when ships were held for people that were delayed by flights before. But I would never expect a cruise line to admit that they would hold a ship for delayed flights as this could open up a minefield of problems. But I am sure a cruise line will hold a ship if the circumstances allow them to do so. I know at some ports the tides and other factors determine if a a ship can leave later than orignally planned.

I just checked the stats on the flight and it is indicated as arriving on time 87% of the time and any delays only average 9 minutes. So while tight if all goes smoothly they should make it.

To give my clients the best chance of dealing with this I have provided them with the HAL transfer which means at least someone in the airport will be looking out for them and the arrival of their flight. I have also organized wheel chair assistance for her eldery father which will hopefully whisk them thru the airport and customs quickly and have advised them to have the HAL airport rep paged immediately if they are concerned about their progress. I have also advised them to speak to the Air NZ staff on the plane if they know they are going to be delayed so that Air NZ can radio ahead to try and get things sorted before they arrive.

Let's all keep our fingers crossed that things go well for them and that they are onboard to set sail from Vancouver.

My sister used to work for Princess cruiselines in Vancouver and she said that often they could not wait for passengers due to low tide. She told me many stories about hustling the passengers to the small boats and having them meet the ship because the ship had to leave due to low tide coming. If they arrive hours late I really don't think that the ship will wait for them in Vancouver.

Well the day of embarkation came and went and I heard nothing so I called HAL and was advised my clients boarded at 3:45 pm. That must be a record in time from flight landing to embarking - at total of 90 minutes from plane landing to embarking the ship.

Cheers,

Debra

Thanks for letting us know!

Cheers,

Debra

Thanks for the update. glad they made it.

VERY happy they made the ship.

Disgraceful they were in the position of all that stress and worry pre-cruise.

The sun was shining on them they arrived in time but IMO Princess should take no pride in the fact they made it. This was terrible planning and unnecessary worry and stress on the travelers.

Deb_in_Aussie, Thanks for letting us know they arrived in time.

I am sure you are grateful.

VERY happy they made the ship.

Disgraceful they were in the position of all that stress and worry pre-cruise.

The sun was shining on them they arrived in time but IMO Princess should take no pride in the fact they made it. This was terrible planning and unnecessary worry and stress on the travelers.

Deb_in_Aussie, Thanks for letting us know they arrived in time.

I am sure you are grateful.

HAL was the cruise line that they sailed on.

HAL was the cruise line that they sailed on.

You're right and HAL should be ashamed they put these people into this situation. No one gets any bows for this one IMO

These travel plans were a very poor choice. IMO

Cheers,

Debra

thanks for the update. i took the liberty of quoting this on the HAL board, since we were wondering if they made it.

Archived