Holiday Past/Present Cruisers Post Here

shecat

Did you get the email from Carnival book an inside and get an ocean view? It is for the 12/01/05 sailing which is a 4 day. I think the Carnival internet rate for inside on that date is $299.

Hi SheCat. Yep, got the email, but for me (solo) it would be $450, and seems to me that's too much for a 4-day.:D

going on the Holiday on 25th of June. This is my first cruise I am a little nervous

I do get motion sickness, I am praying that the weather is good think I will have a ulcer before the time gets here. I just want to that everyone for all the information on the cruise critic board.

:) Hi Shell.....Glad you made it over to the Carnival board. If you have some specific questions, just make a new thread. Welcome!

I sailed on the Holiday back in 1997, and just got back from the paradise may 13th, the holiday had a much bigger dance club, and the arcade was huge... Paradise had a hole in the wall arcade, and thier dance club was pretty small, i was sure surprised.... But, I kinda think the holiday needs to be retired, its a pretty old ship by todays standards.. OK now everyone, you can now place your bullseyes on me and fire now!:eek:

South, if you haven't cruised on the Holiday since '97, you haven't had a chance to see all the changes in the cabins. New duvets, shams, carpets....much different. I won't fire away - hey, everybody's entitled to their own opinion. Personally, I think the Holiday has a lotta good years left in her!:)

Shellinglady-I am sometimes prone to motion sickness. The only cruise that I have gotten queasy on was the Conquest and it is one of the biggest ships. I had two factors against me, to much to drink and sinus problems. On the Holiday a few weeks ago we had 12-15 ft seas and it never made me green.

On the condition of the ship. The bathroom in our cabin looked liked new. The bed was real comfy. The only place I could really see any wear and tear was the elevators. The karaoke lounge was much larger than on the Conquest.

It was my second Carnival cruise, the first being CCL's original Mardi Gras.

The only reason why I might not do Holiday again has nothing to do with the

ship or crew...being in the middle of the country, I hate to spend airfare on

anything less than a 7 day.

However if the price was right, might tack on two or three days at port to lengthen vacation time

Holiday Trivia: When the sparkling new Holiday arrived on the scene in the mid-80's,at 45,000 grt's it was the largest ship made exclusively for Caribbean

cruising. Only the Norway, formally a transatlantic ship was larger.

How times, and sizes have changed.

Mitch

We sailed on the Holiday last June and it was a good experience.... can't really think of anything negative to say. The ONLY thing I didn't care for was the 5 day rather than a 7 day cruise. We had our mother-in-law and 3 teens with us so a 5 day worked out well (we all came back alive!).

Next month the wife and I sail out on the Victory for a 7 day Eastern cruise :D

I remember reading in the one of the display cases on the ship about the history. The original letter from the Mayor of Miami thanking Carnival for bringing such a large ship to Miami.

Cruised on the Holiday in September of 2003 and loved it. It was my first carnival cruise and since I had such a great time, I am booked on the Conquest for my honeymoon in June. Will be hubby's first cruise!!!

Now looking at Holiday cruise for entire family next spring break!

EC, I'll be on sailing with you on that cruise (June 2).... we'll be easy to find, my wife and I will be the one dancing all night long and trying to do and see everything.....

LHP, your story sounds similiar to mines... I sailed the Holiday twice in my single days (both times on 3 day cruises out of L.A.).... unfortunately, my memories are few, I had a wonderful time, but in those days, the fellas and I were just looking to meet women (and we did that)... I can't say I learned much about the ship itself... now the wife, brother&sister in-laws, their spouses and I will enjoy the ship this time.... (they are all first timers). I remember so little about the ship that I also feel like a first timer....

I'm excited.....looking forward to a great getaway...

I was booking a gropup cruise for my Family on Holiday in Feb of 06 and talking about how I loved the ship. The Man stated that the Sept Dry dock is to "start" to get her ready for her future. As in late 06 she will be leaving the Carnival line and moved to a sister company most likely doing Aussie sailing. So So SO sad.

Shane

EC, I'll be on sailing with you on that cruise (June 2).... we'll be easy to find, my wife and I will be the one dancing all night long and trying to do and see everything.....

LHP, your story sounds similiar to mines... I sailed the Holiday twice in my single days (both times on 3 day cruises out of L.A.).... unfortunately, my memories are few, I had a wonderful time, but in those days, the fellas and I were just looking to meet women (and we did that)... I can't say I learned much about the ship itself... now the wife, brother&sister in-laws, their spouses and I will enjoy the ship this time.... (they are all first timers). I remember so little about the ship that I also feel like a first timer....

I'm excited.....looking forward to a great getaway...[/QUOT

Tomorrow is the big day Chuck! Hope to see you on board- I'll be the one chasing my two year old little girl all over the place!

I'm traveling with dh and my 2 sons ages 6 and 8 (they will be on fall break) on the October 10th sailing. They are so excited to travel with dh and I this time. He and I cruised on the Conquest last year. This year we knew we had to take the kiddos. He was a little skeptical about a "small" ship after being on the Conquest. However, I had read nothing but wonderful things about her. I think it will be the perfect size. I cruised on the Ecstacy in 93 and she was huge to me...

So, what is this I read about a refurbishment in Sept. What all will they do to her? Is she dry docked in Sept??

Can't wait to discuss more Holiday stuff with you all!!!! :)

Hummm. I typed you another response but it didn't post. ANYWAY, I was saying that I remember your expertise when planning our NO/Conquest vacation last year. We are looking at the Radisson Admiral Semmes Hotel--what are you thoughts on this? It's $99 and you get to park for free. Breakfast for 2 is included as well.

Do you know anything about the refurbish?

Haven't been on the Conquest, but you're probably thinking about my Sensation cruise in November.:D And the last cruise I had on the Holiday was a CTN in September, one of her last cruises out of N.O.

In Mobile, I think the Adm.Semmes is very nice. Good location, and I believe they have a shuttle to the cruise terminal....? Since the parking (and b'fast) is included, you got a very good deal.

Sorry, but I don't know anything about the refurbishment.

Jus10mom I think you will be happy with the Admiral Semmes. I hear the breakfast is great. I have sailed on the Conquest and the Holiday. I enjoyed the Holiday just as much as the Conquest. Some things about the Conquest are better, atrium, more restaurants, larger spa and gym. Things that are better about the Holiday, service, less crowded in public areas and of course price. Our room on the Holiday had new carpet, new beds and new bathroom fixtures. The rooms on the Holiday are a little bit smaller, but not enough to matter. A friend of mine booked last week on a special Carnival had for the December 1 sailing and she got an outside room for $291 total including port and taxes per person.

I am getting so excited now that I've found some folks sharing info....last year on the Conquest there were about 10 of us from Roll Call that emailed and some of us keep in touch now (Hi Em and Rox!) Em and her boyfriend and dh and I were inseparatable last cruise. In fact we met up at Coyote Uglys the night before we even got onboard! A year later and we still chat all the time.

I think we got a pretty okay deal. For the 4 of us for an inside (we had a balcony last time! :() we got it for 1030.00 including everthing for a 5 night.

Thanks for your thoughts.!!!!!

Archived