Holiday Past/Present Cruisers Post Here

shecat

:)

I haven't heard any damage reports yet, but Carnival wouldn't go there if there were problems such as electricity being out, damage to roads, etc. Unfortunately, the same type of problems might be expected on the mainland too. Keep an eye posted to the Carnival website, and make sure your agent is on top of things.

As for the smell.......on occasion you can detect a faint sewer-like odor. It isn't as bad as some make it to be. I guess most people get used to it after a day or so and it becomes less noticeable. It is most pronounced on the lower decks. The thing is that it only seems to be in the passageways, which leads me to think it has to do with less than desirable ventilation in the halls. I had cabin U38 on my first Holiday cruise and there was no odor in the cabin. We had a suite on our last Holiday cruise and had no odors anywhere <g>.[/quote

We are scheduled to cruise on Holiday in November and have book a suite .... anything you can tell me about the suites to help out?

Just booked cruise on the Holiday for August 11th. Would love to hear from others going

on the same date. My husband and two of our kids (girl 7 and boy 14) are going.

Has anyone had a child go to the Camp Carnival kids activities? If so, how was it?

Lynn

Yes we docked in Cozumel on July 21. There is lots of damage but they where trying to repair things. Putting palm trees back up and replacing windows. They where working on it. We did not get to dock at play del carma because of the significant damage there. We then headed down to Costa Mayo but the wind was to strong for us to port there. So off to Coz we headed.

Shannon:)

The suites on the Holiday are huge! Frankly, I will always go with one when on this ship or it's sister ships. They do show their age however, such as old looking tiles in the bathroom and wear and tear around the room. One nice thing is that the suite passengers only have to go down to the main pool for the lifeboat drill, and you stay there for the whole drill. What is it, about a 50 foot walk with a small flight of stairs? The best lifeboat drill we have ever had!

The bathtubs have very high sides - it looked to be over two feet tall and you have to think about it when getting out of the tub or you could slip. We had cabin V5 which has an unobstructed balcony. Some suites have boats sitting outboard of their balconies. Also - the two forward suites are so close to the outside stairways that they can shake hands with other passengers as they go up and down the stairs. This also mean the balconies have no privacy.

The suites have good sized closets that are "sort of" walk-in but only minimally so. The air-conditioning worked great and there were no funky odors. It was great to be in a cabin where I could walk down to the buffet and have coffee in a minute or so. No need to take the elevators anywhere! I really love the Holiday!

we are just off of the Holiday. we basically saw our 14 yo son from midnight to breakfast. after breakfast he was off to 'his activities'. he was told to be in by midnight and he was. He had a great time. we would cross paths occasionally and he was always with a 'well behaved' group which put us at ease. take a set of walkie talkies to keep in touch. it helped both of us. once he forgot his room key in the cabin and needed to find us. once we wanted to let him know that one of his friends was looking for him.

our 7 and 9 yo enjoyed the camp carnival activities but weren't as consumed with them. I suggest going to the first event so they can get to know someone quickly. the 7 yo group was much like a daycare where they had to be signed in and out. we liked that better than the 9 yo group which let the kids sign themselves in and out. while the Holiday is not huge it is pretty big to a 9yo looking for her parents!

if you need any tips on what to bring read some of the threads for new cruisers. some of the best tips we got included using the Radisson Hotel in Mobile (stay and sail package, WOW, what a deal! $99 for a room, breakfast, shuttle, and parking for the week!), extension cords w/3 outlets each (there is only one outlet in the room), alarm clock (it is easy to oversleep through breakfast hours since it is soooo dark in the rooms), ziplock bags (for everything), and BYOB (see methods on various threads).

enjoy! we did.

if you need any tips on what to bring read some of the threads for new cruisers. some of the best tips we got included using the Radisson Hotel in Mobile (stay and sail package, WOW, what a deal! $99 for a room, breakfast, shuttle, and parking for the week!), extension cords w/3 outlets each (there is only one outlet in the room), alarm clock (it is easy to oversleep through breakfast hours since it is soooo dark in the rooms), ziplock bags (for everything), and BYOB (see methods on various threads).

enjoy! we did.

Can you tell me a little bit about the rooms at Radisson Hotel in Mobile? There is five of us (women) and we do not want to stay in two rooms unless we have to, it looks like the double rooms have a sofa. Is this true?

Or is anyone knows, please let me know. We need to book the room by July 28. Thanks

Fabfive,

can you tell me more about the Raddison, and the shuttle service available? do they use vans or what, or would it be better to drive down and drop the luggage and a person off and then go back and park at the Raddison? Is it like a Continental(sp?) breakfast or is it full service in the hotel restraunt? did you eat any where in Mobile the night before the cruise? if so can you suggest a place. we probably won't be getting into Mobile until around 8pm the night before the cruise. what time do you suggest we leave for the terminal, and what time were you able to board?

Fabfive,

can you tell me more about the Raddison, and the shuttle service available? do they use vans or what, or would it be better to drive down and drop the luggage and a person off and then go back and park at the Raddison? Is it like a Continental(sp?) breakfast or is it full service in the hotel restraunt? did you eat any where in Mobile the night before the cruise? if so can you suggest a place. we probably won't be getting into Mobile until around 8pm the night before the cruise. what time do you suggest we leave for the terminal, and what time were you able to board?

Oldmedic,

I live in Mobile and I think that I can answer most of your questions.

The Raddison uses vans to shuttle you to the terminal and I don't think that you should have a problem with your luggage.

The breakfast is a full breakfast in the hotel rest. and a darn good one too.

With getting into Mobile around 8:00 pm, your best bet would be to drive through the Bankhead Tunnel (right out of the hotel and through the tunnel) and eat at one of the seafood restuarants. Your best bets would be Felix's Fish Camp or the Original Oyster House. They are very near each other with Felix's being a little expensive and the Oyster House more casual.

They usually start boarding rhe ship around 11:30 am. The hotel is not very far from the terminal, so I think that I wouldn't leave there before 10:30 or 11:00 am.

Hope this helps.

Richard

richcrow,

thanks for the info!! The oyster house sounds great to me, i will check with everyone else in my group. I love oysters on the half shell, one of my favorite memories as a kid is going out with my dad and a friend of his and dredging oysters and eating them right on the back of the boat just out of the waterr. (my first taste of tobasco sauce) .

Oh I'm so excited!

OK, I don't think I could possible forget a thing, but I'm sure I will.

About the dining room..... are jeans for teenage boys ok? My SIL says they are but I had told my son NO JEANS, what did ya'll observe?

As far as BYOB, did ya'll have any trouble? Anyone have anything confisgated?

With us being on the Riveria deck it might be a waste to even bring anything onboard we might not want to go all the way down to our cabin to refill :p

Jill,

I think the rule is casual or dress. I wore casual pants and a shirt except for formal night. As for teen boys, I don't see a problem with jeans that are in good condition. I don't think anyone will say anything or even notice.

...With getting into Mobile around 8:00 pm, your best bet would be to drive through the Bankhead Tunnel (right out of the hotel and through the tunnel) and eat at one of the seafood restuarants. Your best bets would be Felix's Fish Camp or the Original Oyster House. They are very near each other with Felix's being a little expensive and the Oyster House more casual.

Richard

If I may add to the list, The Bluegill serves a fine plate of red shrimp.

I'm taking my first trip on the Holiday 12/5/05. I was wondering about the Radisson rates..do you have to call for that? I've tried their website as well as Travelocity and Expedia and haven't been able to find anything but a room for $160-179. Also, I've read that it can be cold in December, is this true? I've read about the temps. around Cozumel/Playa and they seem to be in the 70's-80's, which doesn't seem cold to me. I'm so excited about my first cruise and the more I read about the Holiday, the more excited I get! I'm sure I'll be asking a lot more questions soon!

I just booked my room for Oct like 10 minutes ago. Go to their website. Did you pick the date you will be there and then scroll down on all the options???? I would give them a call. They were even advertising it several places. I bet they might honor it if you give them a call.....good luck!!!!!

I'm taking my first trip on the Holiday 12/5/05. I was wondering about the Radisson rates..do you have to call for that? I've tried their website as well as Travelocity and Expedia and haven't been able to find anything but a room for $160-179. Also, I've read that it can be cold in December, is this true? I've read about the temps. around Cozumel/Playa and they seem to be in the 70's-80's, which doesn't seem cold to me. I'm so excited about my first cruise and the more I read about the Holiday, the more excited I get! I'm sure I'll be asking a lot more questions soon!

Ask for the cruise package. It's $99 a night with breakfast, free shuttle and free parking. Call direct at 251-432-8000 and ask for the cruise package. Here's a link to their website in Mobile. Yes, it can be cold in December but is usually pretty mild. I've worn shorts on Christmas day many times.

http://www.radisson.com/mobileal

richcrow,

thanks for the info!! The oyster house sounds great to me, i will check with everyone else in my group. I love oysters on the half shell, one of my favorite memories as a kid is going out with my dad and a friend of his and dredging oysters and eating them right on the back of the boat just out of the waterr. (my first taste of tobasco sauce) .

oldmedic,

The Original Oyster House does have some of the best oysters on the half shell in Mobile, but they also have, IMHO, the best crab claws you can find in this area.

Richard

we are on the October 6th sailing (our 3rd or 4th on the Holiday..I lose track)

and we did the Sensation last Thanksgiving.

I love both ships. The main difference is the little extra cruise feeling you get from having an atrium on the Sensation that the Holiday does not have.

If you can change bookings without a penalty, either choice you make will be fine. I have noticed a bit more movement on the Holiday, but never enough to really bother me. I take Bonine every morning whether I need it or not and have never had a problem.

If you stay with the October 6th on the Holiday, look us up. I will be the one hogging the karaoke time!!!! We are in Collierville.

You'll be the first cruisers after the reburbish! I'm on the sailing right after you! We should be all nice and extra clean; I hear alot about staff changing during the refurbish! Wonder how many stay on afterwards???

I cannot find a single soul traveling with me. I've seen several posting that are traveling with you! My sailing has been sold out for a while. Makes me wonder if a group didn't take it over. ??? That puts some scary thoughts in my head! :eek:

Glad to here so many great things about Holiday. I have never been on a small ship but my two boys and I are looking forward to it on August 11th. As for jeans in the dinning room I told my boys that they were a no no but maybe I was wrong. Anyway I don't get a chance to see them spiffed up much so I am making them dress for dinner every night.

Only two weeks!!! We are driving from Akron, Ohio to Mobile. Then on the way home visiting some friends in Florence, AL.

Lisa

Archived