Holiday Past/Present Cruisers Post Here

shecat

You'll be the first cruisers after the reburbish! I'm on the sailing right after you! We should be all nice and extra clean; I hear alot about staff changing during the refurbish! Wonder how many stay on afterwards???

I cannot find a single soul traveling with me. I've seen several posting that are traveling with you! My sailing has been sold out for a while. Makes me wonder if a group didn't take it over. ??? That puts some scary thoughts in my head! :eek:

Jus10 mom,

You may be on the same cruise as a one of the lady's Mardi-Gras Groups here in Mobile. I'm not sure when they are actually going, but I do know that it is in Oct. Not to fear, they are a good group of people and shouldn't ruin your cruise.

Richard

Hummmm...what exactly is a Lady of Mardi Gras group? What do they do? Hey, anything to do with Mardi Gras and I'm good! We went on the Conquest last year and it was the Southern Decadence festival. Now THAT was quite an interesting time down in the Quarter!;) :D

Hummmm...what exactly is a Lady of Mardi Gras group? What do they do? Hey, anything to do with Mardi Gras and I'm good! We went on the Conquest last year and it was the Southern Decadence festival. Now THAT was quite an interesting time down in the Quarter!;) :D

It is actually called a Mardi-Gras Society and some of them are men's organizations and some are women's. Most of the societies have a parade and a formal ball during Mardi-Gras and other social events throughout the rest of the year. This society decided to get together and take the cruise out of Mobile. I think that there is around 100 of them including husbands, boy friends, etc.

BTW, you did know that Mardi-Gras in the US began in Moble and not New Orleans didn't you:) .

Carnival is more "casual" than other lines, but for my two boys...they have always worn a polo shirt and khakis to dinner. They do wear suits on Formal night, but polo and khakis will work there to. They will not throw you out with blue jeans, but it is the formal dining room (not Lido) and I have always wanted my boys to look like they know the difference.

The exception is always the first night. Since luggage does not always arrive before the early seating (usually but not always) ....the first night is always casual.

For a one week cruise, my boys take 3 pair of khakis and 3 polo shirts and rotate them...since they only wear them during dinner. They come back to the room and change into their shorts after dinner.

don't be afraid. You will be amazed at how many people cruise and never post on Cruise Critic (hard to imagine isn't it). The couple (and their son) that are traveling with us on the 6th never heard of Cruise Critic until I told her last week.

My DW and I are sailing on the Holiday on Oct. 15 for 5 nights, covering both of our birthdays. This will be the first cruise for both of us, and we're very much looking forward to it. A few days ago I found out that our sailing was sold out, so I realized that I'd better get thinking about our hotel the night before. I skimmed through this thread, then called the Raddison. At first they told me they'd sold out of the Park and Cruise rate of $99, but by speaking directly with the in-house reservation agent I got it with no problem. Hopefully I've now got all our bases covered as far as reservations go.

Only about 2 1/2 months to go. I can't wait!

I will be cruising with two children 8 and 10 to Cozemel. Can anyone tell me what kind of documentation I will need for them since we are leaving the country? I was told only a birth certificate for them and a b/c and photo ID for me. Is that correct? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Lisa

That is correct if you are traveling in 2005. Make sure that you have their original birth certificate (one with a raised state seal on it). New passport requirement go into effect sometime in 2006 on a roll out format. I'm not sure about the exact dates. There is a lot of info on these boards about it!

Are your kids excited? Mine are bouncing off the roof! I have 6 and 8 year old sons. All they can talk about is the water slide! :) That and that they have to dress up for dinner. :eek:

I skimmed through this thread, then called the Raddison. At first they told me they'd sold out of the Park and Cruise rate of $99, but by speaking directly with the in-house reservation agent .

Being the procrastinator that I am, with my sail date only 3 weeks away, I tried to get a reservation too. I had the same exact problem as you did - No Rooms At The Inn - just call the hotel and ask for Ella at the reservations desk.

I am sailing on the Holiday for the second time during Thanksgiving week. As I understand it, until December 31, you can board with just a birth certificate, but once the new year rolls around, we'll need passports. I could be wrong though. Have fun in Cozumel. They do take American $$. My children are 14, 11, 8 and we go to Paradise Beach. The water is calm and not too terribly deep. You can still see the bottom when you go out on the trampoline and the ice berg.

WE too are planning on Paradise Beach. We were going there last time but ended up going to Channauuk Park with some friends we met here on this board. It was nice but will go to PB this time with the kids. I've read so much about it and PB Tom! :)

We also called directly and to the 1-800 for the Radisson and were told (by Ella..and not nicely) that there was nothing because there is supposedly some convention the same weekend. We ended up booking a room in Biloxi (an hour away) for $44 (that normally goes for $159).. so I'm not too upset, but dang, if I sail out of Mobile again, I will call early to the Radisson. Anyone know how much it costs to park at Carnival's parking lot?

It cost $50 to park. There are a few other options for lodging in downtown Mobile. Adams Mark, Holiday Inn, Malaga Inn and another one I can't think of the name. Help Futa or Richcrow what is the name of the round motel?

It cost $50 to park. There are a few other options for lodging in downtown Mobile. Adams Mark, Holiday Inn, Malaga Inn and another one I can't think of the name. Help Futa or Richcrow what is the name of the round motel?

Is that the Lafayette Plaza? It's changed hands so many times in the last couple of years it's hard to keep up. It says it's at 301 Govt. St. but it's really about a block over isn't it? Like over on Church St. Anyway the number is 251-694-0100. I thought the 694 exchanges were reserved for city govt. Maybe the city owns it now?:eek: What a fiasco that would be.:p And the Adams Mark is now just the Riverview Plaza again but will become a Rennaisance by next year I think when the Battle House Hotel re-opens as a Rennaisance too. Thanks, Dr. Bronner and your deep pockets at RSA.:D

Debbie, Thanks for the information of the birth certificates. I am looking into getting a passport. We too are going to go to PB. I have been there before and it is a fabulous beach with lots to do for the boys. I have not met PB Tom but hope to see him this trip. I have been on 5 cruises but the kids have never been and they are so excited (except about having to dress for dinner). With less than a week and a half to go I am starting with my lists of things for the suitcases. If it were up to the boys they would pack 3 swimsuits and some t - shirts. My oldest can't wait to sign up for Camp Carnival. My youngest is a little leary about the whole thing but I think that once he gets there he will be fine. He wants to be with his brother but the ages put them into two different groups. Does anyone know if they would let an 8yr old into the 9-11 group so he could be with his brother?

Lisa

Carnival will not let a child join an older age group. They will let a child join a younger age group. This happens to us because my children are 3 years apart in age. The older can join the younger, but not vise versa.

aw....less than a week! SO jealous here! You'll have to fill us all in!!! This will be my kids first time too! My 3rd and dh's 2nd. Can you keep the Camp Carnival capers??? I'd love to see them!!!!! I'd pay for you to mail me a copy....

Are the kids bouncing off the walls??? LOL

Since you seem to be the resident expert on the Mobile area....

Since we do not depart on the Holiday until a Monday, dh and I were thinking about heading out maybe Friday afternoon out of Nashville and taking a leisurely drive south. I have my reservations on Sunday at the Radisson already. What would be some FUN things to do along the way???? Where would be some good places to stop?

OHMIGOSH

what a wonderful 4 days! The food was out of this world! Thanks everyone for all the advice but I am SO MAD! I did not have one stinkin opportunity to use that roll of duct tape I brought ;)

I will elaborate further tomarrow. I am exhausted.

Cozumel was still pretty torn up towards the end of the island. You can not drive all the way around at this time. From above Paradise Beach down there is considerable damage but still beautiful. They are working so hard to get it all fixed & still entertain everyone.

Carlos & Charlies was a HOOT!

I need some suggestions from people that live in Mobile or have been there lately. We normally go to the Blue Gill resturant when we are in town for my husband to get reds, well we will be down in October on a Sunday and the Blue Gill has a brunch buffet going on that day, does anyone know what would be on the buffet and the price? I would also like to know if you can order from the menu or if it is just buffet? Does anyone have any good places to eat in the Mobile area they would like to share with me? Last year in October when we were down we ate lunch at a great little place downtown, but I can't remember the name, it had meat and 3 vegg. or sandwiches for lunch, but it probably would not be open on Sunday. It was more of a lunch during the week kind of place. Anyone with suggest let me know.

Terri

Archived