Holiday Past/Present Cruisers Post Here

shecat

I need some suggestions from people that live in Mobile or have been there lately. We normally go to the Blue Gill resturant when we are in town for my husband to get reds, well we will be down in October on a Sunday and the Blue Gill has a brunch buffet going on that day, does anyone know what would be on the buffet and the price? I would also like to know if you can order from the menu or if it is just buffet? Does anyone have any good places to eat in the Mobile area they would like to share with me? Last year in October when we were down we ate lunch at a great little place downtown, but I can't remember the name, it had meat and 3 vegg. or sandwiches for lunch, but it probably would not be open on Sunday. It was more of a lunch during the week kind of place. Anyone with suggest let me know.

Terri

Terri,

I have not been to the Blue Gill on Sunday, but it is my understanding that you can also order off of the menu. As for other places to eat in Mobile, I'm going to assume you are talking about in the downtown area and recommend that you try the Spot of Tea on Dauphin St. It is a great place for either breakfast or lunch. It is located at 310 Dauphin St. and the phone number is 433-9009. As for the Blue Gill, it is a good seafood restaurant, but I much prefer either the Original Oyster House, Ed's Seafood Shed or Felix's Fish Camp. The all are located on the Battleship Causeway. If I can be of anymore help just let me know.

Richard

Richard,

Do you know of any resturants that you mentioned that have "Reds"? I wouldn't mind going to a new place, but the Blue Gill has Reds and my husband likes them and there hard to get at home. We will be in town on a Sunday and I am afraid alot of the little lunch spots downtown may not be open because it isn't a week day. I need suggestions for a quick lunch and dinner.

Terri

Hello all! I just booked our 4th Carnival Cruise on the Holiday!! We have been on the Fantacy, Pride and Spirit without kids and are taking the kids on the Holiday! I think I read that it is going to be refurbished, is that right? Empress Deck, Inside rooms 130 and 134. We will be on the Caribbean Princess 9/3/05 for a week without the kids. We thought we would try Princess, since Carnival owns it and we got the previous cruiser discount, and have something to compare our Carnival cruises to. If you know of specific things we should try to do in Casta Maya and Cozumel, please share!

Richard,

Do you know of any resturants that you mentioned that have "Reds"? I wouldn't mind going to a new place, but the Blue Gill has Reds and my husband likes them and there hard to get at home. We will be in town on a Sunday and I am afraid alot of the little lunch spots downtown may not be open because it isn't a week day. I need suggestions for a quick lunch and dinner.

Terri

Terri,

I think that all of the restaurants that I mentioned serve royal reds, but I do know that the Original oyster House because I called them to make sure.

As I said in my last post, the Spot of Tea downtown on Dauphin St. is open on Sunday and is a great place for breakfast and lunch. They do not serve dinner. I would recommend going there for lunch and then going to one of the seafood places on the causeway for dinner. Here are the web sites for all of the causeway restaurants and another downtown place that is open on Sunday.

www.spotoftea.net

www.heroessportsbar.com

www.theoysterhouse.com

www.bluegillrestaurant.com

www.edsshed.com

www.felixsfishcamp.com

Richard

what are REDS??? :p

Richard, did you see my previous question to you about what to do coming down thru Alabama????

Debbie,

Reds are jumbo sized shrimp called royal reds.

I did see your previous question and I'm working on it. I'll post when I get you something meaningful:) .

Richard

Richard, Thank you so much for the web pages and help. Do you live in the area? First time we were on the Holiday was it's maiden sail from Mobile, it was my husband and I, then just in July we went with my son and his girlfriend, and in October my mother will be with us. I do enjoy the ship being in Mobile, we live close to Birmingham and it is such an easy drive. I can only hope for a longer cruise to go out of Mobile with different ports, although there is always something new to experience in the three ports that are offered from Mobile.

Thanks again for the info.

Terri

Richard, Thank you so much for the web pages and help. Do you live in the area? First time we were on the Holiday was it's maiden sail from Mobile, it was my husband and I, then just in July we went with my son and his girlfriend, and in October my mother will be with us. I do enjoy the ship being in Mobile, we live close to Birmingham and it is such an easy drive. I can only hope for a longer cruise to go out of Mobile with different ports, although there is always something new to experience in the three ports that are offered from Mobile.

Thanks again for the info.

Terri

Terri,

You are quite welcome for the help. Glad to do it. Yes, I live in Mobile and really got started in posting on this board because I just wanted to help out anyone cruising out of here and hopefully they will have a good impression about Mobile and their cruise on the Holiday. We want the Holiday to be a success so we can get another cruise ship sailing out of Mobile. I'm like you. I would like to see another ship that would hopefully be a seven day cruise to some different locations.

DW and I sailed on the Holiday back in Jan. and loved it. Our cruise was the first cruise after the so called "cruise to nowhere" caused by the ship having propulsion problems. They actually fixed the problem during our cruise. The ship's crew could not have been any nicer to us during the cruise considering the problems and all. We would sail on Holiday again in a heartbeat. And I'm sure we will (after we complete our cruise in Oct. on Zuiderdam).

Richard

I grew up in Huntsville and am a big fan of the Space and Rocket Center there. It's been a while since I've visited it, but I remember plenty of interesting exhibits, an IMAX theater, and a few rides. It's educational and entertaining, especially if you're a big geek like me.:cool:

Thanks for that thought. That was one place we had thought about. Since our cruise doesn't leave til a Monday we might head out from Nashville on that Friday and make it a long weekend before. I just printed off some info from the web......:)

Since you seem to be the resident expert on the Mobile area....

Since we do not depart on the Holiday until a Monday, dh and I were thinking about heading out maybe Friday afternoon out of Nashville and taking a leisurely drive south. I have my reservations on Sunday at the Radisson already. What would be some FUN things to do along the way???? Where would be some good places to stop?

Debbi,

Sorry about taking so long to get back to you on "FUN things to do along the way' and "some good places to stop".

In not really knowing what you druthers are, I would like to recommend the Alabama Tourisum Site at www.touralabama.org. It is an excellent site, and should be very helpful to you. Look at the site and let me know if I can help you on any specifics.

I don't know about being the resident Mobile expert:rolleyes: , but I can say that I probably know more about Mobile and South Alabama than I do about all of those nonplaces north of the coast:) . When we travel through north and central Alabama it is usually non-stop on our way to Knoxville (mother lives there) or on to VA (daughter lives there).

Richard

Looks like some good info. I've checked out the food links and YUM!!!! Paid my last balance yesterday! I'm ready to gooooooo!!!!!!

Can't wait to see Mobile. The only other time I passed thru there was on my senior trip in high school going to Pamana City. We did the Battleship and Bellingrath and I think we ate at Wintzells. Is the Original Oyster House the better place to go???

Looks like some good info. I've checked out the food links and YUM!!!! Paid my last balance yesterday! I'm ready to gooooooo!!!!!!

Can't wait to see Mobile. The only other time I passed thru there was on my senior trip in high school going to Pamana City. We did the Battleship and Bellingrath and I think we ate at Wintzells. Is the Original Oyster House the better place to go???

Do you mean is Original Oyster House better than Wintzells? I would say it is, though Wintzells is an old Mobile unique tradition. Out of all of the seafood restaurants on the causeway that I sent you the web sites, you really can't go wrong with any of them. Felix's Fish Camp is a little more pricey, but the food and service are excellent, the Original Oyster House has, IMHO, the best crab claws on the Gulf coast, but I prefer Ed's Seafood Shed because they have the best deck and view for eating outside.

Enjoy your cruise and visit to Mobile.

Richard

I did mean was the Original Oyster House better than Wintzell's. Thanks for your thoughts.....IRONICALLY, I just got an email from a coworker that went to Mobile this week for a training: This is from his email to me this afternoon:

What a coincidence that you will be staying at the Radisson Admiral Semmes, that's where I stayed. Its actually not a bad hotel, from listening to others at SLC that stayed at supposedly nicer hotels, I think mine was one of the better rooms. The pool leaves a little to be desired, but other than that it was a decent place. You should make plans to eat at a place called Felix's, it's the best place in town to eat and not too expensive, especially for fresh seafood. The food is the best and its just outside of downtown across the water. The view of Mobile, the bay, and the USS Alabama is spectacular and if you get there before sundown you'll get to watch a nice sunset across the water. Your boys would probably like to walk through the USS Alabama Battleship Museum and the aircraft hall of fame. I saw the cruiseship you will be on, they only have one in Mobile. It looked huge and really fun. I'm jealous. One other restaurant on Daphin St. (which is where most of the action is in Mobile) is called Wintzler's, it's specializes in Oysters which I don't eat, but the other food they have is good. I had fish and it was great. There are lots of little bars for the nightlife beverages on Dauphin St. That's pretty much it, if you want to shop, you should make it out to the Eastern Shore Mall, that's really the only outlet shopping I found down there.

He seems to agree with you! LOL.

I will be boarding Carnival Holiday on August 11th just 6 days away and I cannont wait!!! Any last minute advice?

Oh and can we have a curling iron in the room, or hair curlers....we wanted to get gussied up for the Captains dinner but didn't want to break any rules!!

Have a great day all!!

Tara (trachgirl)

I did mean was the Original Oyster House better than Wintzell's. Thanks for your thoughts.....IRONICALLY, I just got an email from a coworker that went to Mobile this week for a training: This is from his email to me this afternoon:

What a coincidence that you will be staying at the Radisson Admiral Semmes, that's where I stayed. Its actually not a bad hotel, from listening to others at SLC that stayed at supposedly nicer hotels, I think mine was one of the better rooms. The pool leaves a little to be desired, but other than that it was a decent place. You should make plans to eat at a place called Felix's, it's the best place in town to eat and not too expensive, especially for fresh seafood. The food is the best and its just outside of downtown across the water. The view of Mobile, the bay, and the USS Alabama is spectacular and if you get there before sundown you'll get to watch a nice sunset across the water. Your boys would probably like to walk through the USS Alabama Battleship Museum and the aircraft hall of fame. I saw the cruiseship you will be on, they only have one in Mobile. It looked huge and really fun. I'm jealous. One other restaurant on Daphin St. (which is where most of the action is in Mobile) is called Wintzler's, it's specializes in Oysters which I don't eat, but the other food they have is good. I had fish and it was great. There are lots of little bars for the nightlife beverages on Dauphin St. That's pretty much it, if you want to shop, you should make it out to the Eastern Shore Mall, that's really the only outlet shopping I found down there.

He seems to agree with you! LOL.

That is quite ironical about your co-worker. He mentioned the Eastern Shore Mall as being an outlet shopping mall. Well, it really isn't an outlet mall, but it really is a very nice shopping center and they have an excellent restaurant there which moved from downtown Mobile when it opened. It is called Rousso's and they have really good food which you can get prepared Greek style if you desire. There is a hugh outlet mall in Foley, AL which is about an hours drive from Mobile near Gulf Shores.

Richard

Archived