Holiday Past/Present Cruisers Post Here

shecat

<snip> What would be some FUN things to do along the way???? Where would be some good places to stop?

I'm not an expert, but I did live in Moblie for a short time back in 1996, hehe!

If you can, visit The USS Alabama, Fort _ (can't remember the name, I think the battle of Mobile was there?)

and there's a great park with a bunch of geese. I used to stop here after church near Zeigler Blvd

Maybe the expert can help out with the names?

Kristina

I'm not an expert, but I did live in Moblie for a short time back in 1996, hehe!

If you can, visit The USS Alabama, Fort _ (can't remember the name, I think the battle of Mobile was there?)

and there's a great park with a bunch of geese. I used to stop here after church near Zeigler Blvd

Maybe the expert can help out with the names?

Kristina

It is Fort Gains on Dauphin Island and Langan Park in Mobile. The fort might be interesting for history buffs, but unless you wanted to play golf or visit the Mobile Museum of Art there wouldn't much else to see or do at the park. About the Mobile Museum of Art, it is an excellent art museum with a very good art and antique furniture collection.

"The Mobile Expert":confused:

Richard

I know someone who is going on that cruise! They aren't on this board and I'm not sure they will let me post what board they are on here.. so if you are interested, you can email me and I'll tell you which board they are on. She is sailing with her husband and two teenage daughters. My email is Rosegaliana at gmail.com

glad to hear you have all enjoyed the HOLIDAY!! i am a carnival employee and have spent the last 7 months aboard the HOLIDAY as a social hostess!! she is a wonderful ship and i hope that you continue to enjoy her!!!

ps...dry dock is scheduled for september 17th..so you are the last of about 4cruises before she docks for 3 solid weeks!!!

C'Mon Becka,

can you suggest a "secret" place on the Holiday(not crew only) that is a nice quiet place on deck that is not too heavly traveled or doesn't recieve too much traffic through it? I know on one of the ships we were on, there was a door near the Pursers desk that led outside to a very quiet secluded spot and on another, there was a door going out from one of the lounges. these were areas that hardly any one ever went out and were great spots for some light reading or taking a nap.... do you know what i am talkng about?

we will be on te Oct 6 sailing and are counting down the days!!! anyone you would like for us to say hello too when we get onboard?

hey guys!!

i can suggest a few places!! if you are happy in the sun then the topless deck on 12 is a great spot...not too many people head up there?! if you are looking for shade...then there is a door on the port side of the ship leading from lido deck to the outside railing..it gets busy during sail away but then is a pretty empty place most of the week! you can take lawn chairs out there and get some nice quiet time!! i hope you have the best time on the HOLIDAY!! she is a great ship!! when you do get there...tell kevin and ronaldo (kissy kissy..you'll understand what that means when you meet him!!) that becks says hi! they are my replacements and you'll find them getting crazy on the stage and out by the pool!! they are the resident social hosts!

have a great time!!!!

becka

I see where you say that you have replacements on the Holiday. Does this mean that you will not be going back to her? If so, what ship are you going to?

Also, do you know what all is scheduled to be done on the Holiday during her drydocking?

Richard

Hi Becca,

Great to see you here. We were on Holiday in April and now are taking my grandparents for their 50th aniv. in feb of 06. You all were one of the best groups of social host we have ever had. I love the feeling on the Holiday with the crew feels like everyone is one large family. (even thought the bingo Gods never managed to shine on me.) LOL

Thanks Becca for taking the time to post. We really enjoyed the Holiday. How about it fellow Gulf Coast residents? Playing the hurricane rolette again. I wonder if the Holiday schedule has been altered yet? She left Thursday on the 4 day and is supposed to come back Monday.

Hi Y'all!!

thanx for the kind words about our host team!! we did have a wonderful time aboard the holiday! i am actually heading to the LIBERTY on september 17th!! so excited for a new adventure! i am used to sailing around the caribbean so time in europe should be wonderfully exciting!!

just an FYI about the HOLIDAY! i spoke to some friends who are still working aboard and they have let me know that the port officials closed down the mobile port a few days ago and will not open any time soon...the ship itself will be pulling into tampa tomorrow morning! it is due to dock there for at least 2 days...it will let guests off but unsure about boarding new ones?! it is all a bit of a mess! most of my friends have checked in with me and have reported that the ships are mostly stuck or re-routed..! my thoughts are with all of them!

take care everyone!

becka

oldmedic:

When we were on the ship from Aug 11th-15th we found us a great place to hang out that not many people were there. If you walk through the Doc Holiday's club and take that exit (the same one you go through for the life jacket drill) there was a great place to relax. We always went there after supper to watch the sunset and we were usually the only ones there. There were plenty of chairs and that is where the ping pong tables were.

I was on the last cruise that Becca was on!! The other person I remember talking to several times that was really nice was Angus (one of the dancers) The shows were alot of fun, we went to both time slots!!

I was hoping to book another cruise on the Holiday soon, but I guess I will wait and see after the weather settles down.

Have a great day all!

kissy kissy, bye bye now!

trachgirl

FOr those that are interested. I created a little fun video of my time on the Holiday and in Cozumel...at Paradise beach.

If you want to view it, feel free to click on the link:

http://www.neptune.com/users/trachgirl/videoWMP/trachgirl349183.wmv

oh, i am thinking it is ok to post a link in on these boards, if it is not just let me know and I apoligize. But I think most of you that have been on the Holiday would enjoy seeing some recent footage. It is from Aug. 11th-15th

take care all!!

trachgirl

Richcrow,

First of all, how are you and your family? I hope everything and everyone did well with the devastation. Can you tell us how the City of Mobile is really doing? I think your city has so much old antabellum charm, I would hate to see it destroyed.

We have friends that live in Loxely and work in Fairhope and I have spoken to them and they faired well. They mentioned maybe 4 or 5 thousand dollars worth of damage to their home, but nothing more. Their children was actually going back to school today(Thursday). That is hard to believe since the kids in my area just went back to school today also and we live near Birmingham.

I have read where some of the causeway had collasped and many of the resturants had been destroyed that are on the causeway. So many people have lost all their possessions, some of there families and also their jobs. Many people don't understand that the people that lost many of there worldly possessions can't even start to rebuild until they have jobs to go to.

Terri

Terri,

Thanks for the concern. Our neighborhood faired pretty well. We had some roof and fence damage at our house. The southern part of Mobile County took the brunt of Katrina in this area. Bayou LaBatra and Grand Bay had extensive damage. Driving around Mobile you see a lot of tree damage, but it looks like most of the home did fairly well.

I believe that some of the Causeway is now back open, but some of the restaurants did receive damage. The Original Oyster House lost all of the 1st floor and had damage to the second floor. The Blue Gill had extensive damage, but Ed’s Seafood Shed and Felix’s Fish Camp came out of it in pretty good shape. Ed’s lost all of their outside deck.

The cruise terminal is ok and the Holiday begins sailing again this Sat.

Richard

richcrow,

glad you'll are ok!!!! have a couple of questions for you. we will be coming from the west (I10). Did the Admiral Semms(sp?) recieve much damage? are there alternate routes into mobile from the west other than I-10? (not sure how long it will be shut down. any ideas ?

richcrow,

glad you'll are ok!!!! have a couple of questions for you. we will be coming from the west (I10). Did the Admiral Semms(sp?) recieve much damage? are there alternate routes into mobile from the west other than I-10? (not sure how long it will be shut down. any ideas ?

Oldmedic,

I'm not sure what the status will be on I-10 in early Oct., but right now it is closed from the MS AL state line. YOu can go through Jackson, MS and take US Hwy. 98 into Mobile. It is not an interstate but it 4 lane a good part of the way. I'm not sure about the Admiral Semmes, but since nothing has been in the local news about its condition I would think that it is alright. I sure would contact them to make sure about the status of your reservation though. All of the hotels are filling up in Mobile with people from MS & LA and adjusters and FEMA people.

Richard

Archived