Flying Home - HELP!

Voyager_4

You should be able to make it in time, but it's always good to have a little cushion. I would check with Carnival to see what they say. If they say you should be able to make that noon flight, I would suggest going to the purser's desk while onboard and letting them know you have an early flight and need to get off early. They can advise you on the best way to do that.

I agree with the other posters who suggest seeing how many ships are coming into Port Everglades that morning - if there are a lot, you might want to plan for a little more time.

You should be able to make it in time, but it's always good to have a little cushion. I would check with Carnival to see what they say. If they say you should be able to make that noon flight, I would suggest going to the purser's desk while onboard and letting them know you have an early flight and need to get off early. They can advise you on the best way to do that.

I agree with the other posters who suggest seeing how many ships are coming into Port Everglades that morning - if there are a lot, you might want to plan for a little more time.

I just want to note that the original poster is arriving to Miami.

The original poster is flying out of Fort Lauderdale.

Three ships will be in Miami that day.

In the end, it comes down to how much stress the Original Poster wants to deal with.

To the original poster, many people would book this flight. I wouldn't but I don't like to worry about all of this but many would.

No one can predict if the ship will run late or if you will have any problems with customs and immigration at the port.

Keith

I feel your stress, and wanting to get home asap

We have done Port of Miami to FLL many times with even earlier flights

Just be the first off of the ship, carry your own luggage in the morning

DO NOT take a van! You will sit until the van is filled up, then stop and unload at every airline at FLL - Go across the street at the port to the cab line

We have had earlier flights and all was fine....don't spoil your cruise stressing, Sunday morning traffic is usually light to FLL

Print your boarding passes on the ship

Only "hangup" I see is if the ship docks late due to weather etc - rare but....

KLfrodo, I asked this question 3 months before the trip because I've never been on a cruise before and am trying to arrange my flight. I'm a little dissapointed that you felt the need to 'check' my stress level and make a jab at my use of the word 'boat.' Sorry I asked this question here, looking for answers not judgement.

Relax.

This is CC. Lots of opinions and lots of judgement.:rolleyes:

I feel your stress, and wanting to get home asap

We have done Port of Miami to FLL many times with even earlier flights

Just be the first off of the ship, carry your own luggage in the morning

DO NOT take a van! You will sit until the van is filled up, then stop and unload at every airline at FLL - Go across the street at the port to the cab line

We have had earlier flights and all was fine....don't spoil your cruise stressing, Sunday morning traffic is usually light to FLL

Print your boarding passes on the ship

Only "hangup" I see is if the ship docks late due to weather etc - rare but....

And the last sentence is the six million dollar question. Or you could be the lucky one that customs stops to go through all of your luggage.

This is why I say in the end it depends how much stress you want to deal with.

Keith

If you will be going through customs NO WAY. I wouldn't want to end a restful cruise with concerns about getting off the ship and to the airport.

You do know that you go through both customs and imigartion when you get off the ship?

Catching an somewhat early flight is stressful and the worry might ruin your cruise experience........been there done this 6+ times due to believe it or not - I have trouble getting flights to my local airports SFO, OAK, OR SMF!

A Noon flight from the ship in Miami to FLL should be just fine......We have disembarked in Miami, checked in for 11:30 flights at FLL with time for Starbucks, souvenir and magazine shopping.

IF……

Your ship allows you to disembark early and handle your own luggage

Hints:

** Print up your boarding passes & fill out customs declarations the night before

** Wake up call

** Order early room service breakfast – or get muffins etc from the buffet night before

** Do not leave your luggage outside the night before

** When you leave the ship, have Passport, ship card, and customs declaration ready, being from Ohio, you will NOT have any immigration checks/issues. Also, you might want to quell your stress so that you aren’t pulled aside for customs…rare but happens (only a few minutes usually).

** TAKE A CAB!! S&S is great but you have to call, wait for the van, the van to fill and get packed. Once our van was already full – four sumo wrestler size passengers took up all of the room. Vans are a value, but have to stop at each airline, unload etc

** I book business class ($45.00 Jet Blue) so that we have Priority check-in and TSA

**FLL has a lot of terminals, so the TSA Lines are usually short and efficient, better than MIA

All of the above is almost unnecessary and you should be fine, we have made 11:30 flights but, stuff happens….weather in December etc.

Hope this helps, but I still do stress a little and run a “dress rehersal” through my mind a million times.

There is no way to know if the ship will come into port late due to weather, or if Customs will be delayed in clearing the ship before you can disembark. It may not happen often, but it can happen.

Also I agree with what a zoo FLL can be - I've never seen such a mess of an airport (this was on a saturday). It looked like the news reports I've seen with a snowed in airport, this was in March and there was no snowstorm. People sitting on the floor with the their luggage, no available chairs, the place was a Cluster.

I thought SAS was very prompt in getting us to FLL from Port of Miami, but we almost had to wait for a 2nd van. The driver changed his mind after hearing the freeway was a mess due to an accident. We got piled into an extremely crowded van. I guess he was afraid we would miss our flight - even though it was a mid afternoon flight.

Hi everyone,

My friend and I are taking our first ever cruise December 2-9th on the Carnival Glory. We want to get home to Columbus, Ohio as soon as possible after the ship gets back into port Miami.

There is a noon flight leaving Ft. Lauderdale on December 9th...would it be unreasonable to expect to make this flight? Is there a way to be in the 'first-off-the-boat' group?

I'd love any advice as we're totally new to this! Thanks everyone :)

Hi Voyager, I'll be on that cruise with you and it takes longer to get to FLL airport so I wouldn't schedule flight earlier than 1pm. They usually try to get EVERYONE off the ship by 9:30-10:00am but it takes up to an hour to get to FLL and you need to be there 2 hours before your flight. Why not fly to and from Miami instead? I don't know if you are planning on a pre-cruise hotel stay or whether you wish to fly the day of the cruise. I have done both in the past but it would depend on what you expect the whether to be like between Ohio and Miami on Dec 2nd. I seached and found flights from Columbus to Miami- inbound Dec 2 landing at 11:07 am and outbound from Miami to Columbus on Dec 9th leaving at 12:37pm for $353 per person. The flight to and from FLL would only be cheaper if you wait until 6pm to fly home.

I am not sure what you mean by "customs". If you are just taking a domestic flight, there is no customs and immigration at the airport. You just have to get through security. Is that what you are talking about?

Customes and immigration problems would be a concern at the crusie ship end since you will be arriving from "foreign" countries via the Glory. Can delay debarkation if there is a problem at the port (like if someone decides to enter the USA without a passport via the Glory! :eek:) I've never experienced this but have heard of it occuring and delaying debarkation for everyone. I've never taken a cab ride to FLL as it would cost a large amount and most people take the supershuttle so plan on more like an hour.

They are sailing W. Caribbean and live in the U.S. - No Immigration, just the regular customs of how many t-shirts and kitchen magnets did you buy

To have the special deals cruise lines offer to transfer your luggage to the airport is only for flights after 2:00 PM

You should be fine, but it is stressful and I would not like to see a "dark cloud" over your fun cruise - I hope the flight info Jana above posted works for you

Voyager, come to the roll call for our cruise. You will find alot of other folks who will be on the same cruise and who can answer questions. I think people are a little more careful about being judgmental when they are talking to someone they might actually meet. The anonymity of the internet sometimes allows rudeness. Many of us cruising with you have cruised numerous times and are pleased to answer questions. This will be my 19th Cruise (10th on Carnival. My 2nd on Glory.) Just follow the link. :D

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1534534

Archived