Why look like a slob while traveling?

CtheW0rld

Then fare basis algorithms come into play. Full or almost full coach tickets get the move up front. At least that is the case with the USA majors. Their computer systems have a prioritized listing of the upgrade and op-up passengers and woe be an agent that violates that list. I can personally attest that DL has a policy where an agent risks suspension or firing if they don't follow procedure. The computer tracks the upgrades and compares. All to make sure that it isn't just a matter of "well-dressed" or "honeymoon".

Now, the one time when this might vary is if the passenger to be upgraded isn't in the boarding area and they can't confirm moving him. Or when there is some very irregular operation where dispatching the aircraft takes a higher priority over everything. But that would be less than one time in ten thousand flights to my SWAG eyes.

And the international carriers at LHR may do it a bit differently, but I tend to doubt it....at least for the majors. I know that a number of them zealously protect the revenue premium from their business and first cabins and upgrade/op-up as a very last resort.

And, of course, you never want to say "never", so this could happen. I could also hit the lottery for $100 million, but I'm not counting on it. Or changing my attire to fit.

You're totally right in all you say about the systems and procedures being in place etc etc.. I'm just saying don't be naive enough to think it doesn't happen.

That's oh so true.. It's been that way for years and even today where upgrades are generally only given due to overbooking, it's still true.

More often than not it's the gate staff who make the decision. They're advised by load control of the situation and the gate staff choose the lucky one's.

You're totally right in all you say about the systems and procedures being in place etc etc.. I'm just saying don't be naive enough to think it doesn't happen.

So which is it? The systems are in place but occasionally someone strays from policy and UG's a well dressed pax instead of a FF, or "more often than not" the GA's randomly choose all the lucky (well dressed) pax to be UG'd? :rolleyes:

I'll be on a flight in about 12 hours. Look for me, I'll be in yoga pants and a t-shirt with a hoodie of some sort because it's usually cold on planes. Oh, and my FC upgrade was confirmed a week ago, so I'll be in 2C. And frankly I don't care if someone thinks I'm dressed like a slob. My carrier of choice sure doesn't care, I've flown around 95K miles with them so far this year--usually in similar attire.

Flying has become such a zoo that I dress comfortably. You won't see me in flip-flops, T-shirts or shorts, but I won't be in full business dress unless I'm coming straight from the office or heading to one after landing with no time to do a quick change in the Ladies' Room. When I fly Business Class I do make an effort to look a little mor respectable, but comfort is still the priority.

I've been op-upgraded twice Once, from LHR to ORD, they told me they''d oversold Coach and it was due to my Platinum status (DH got upgraded with me with no status) The other time I was magically upgraded from Business to First between ORD and LHR. I was at least Gold and may have been Platinum. I didn't request the upgrades in either case and wasn't dressed any nicer than usual. I'm sure gate agents are sick of people dressed nicely, greeting them with artificial sweetness, and asking for an upgrade. Ain't gonna happen.

I too recall the days of fancy dresses and suits on aircraft, but honestly I can't see myself wearing by business or business-casual clothes on board. We travel as a family, and I'm not able nor comfortable getting myself and the kids through security with all sorts of clothes that need to come off etc etc etc. The other factor is that when we do travel by air, we are usually looking at 8-12+ hours of travel time, and I'm not doing that in a dress :D We all wear clean, casual clothing without anything to set off alarms at security, and that allow us to move freely throughout our day.

I hate to say it, but air travel used to be like a 4 star restaurant, now it's more like the fast food places on every corner.

I hate to say it' date=' but air travel used to be like a 4 star restaurant, now it's more like the fast food places on every corner.[/quote']

I agree (and I don't hate to say it, LOL).......that comes with pluses and minuses, and I think ultimately it's a good thing. But, as you've said, it's unrealistic to put the expectations of the past on the reality of the present, since the situations are really very different.

(I remember having a similar conversation with my grandmother about why I didn't dress up and just wore jeans and a t-shirt to university lectures....so I explained that I had to carry a 20 lb backpack all day, moving between buildings that might be over a half-mile apart, and then squeeze, sometimes with my coat/boots, into a crowded lecture hall. It was very different from when she went to college, moving with a purse and notebook between rooms in the same building and able to access her locker between classes.)

Archived