Can I change dinner seating for one night?

2boyzmom

We want to eat at the first seating for dinner the first night of the cruise so we can attend the camp carnival orientation and disco party with the kids. Can we have an early dinner that night then the late seating for the rest of the cruise?

Isn't dinner on the first night open seating anyway? On the past Carnival cruises I was on, it didn't seem to matter when you went to the dining room on night 1 - you were not at your assigned table till night 2. Is it different now?

I do not think the first night is open seating. Unless the maitre d has told you that night that you can be reseated, they prefer that you sit at the table that was assigned on your S&S card. Then the second night, if you had requested a move, you will be told of your new table.

I don't think you can arbitrarily move around to different tables. I think part of the reason may be that they want to ensure fairness in the workload of the waiters and servers? Work, as well as tips, etc?

Isn't dinner on the first night open seating anyway? On the past Carnival cruises I was on, it didn't seem to matter when you went to the dining room on night 1 - you were not at your assigned table till night 2. Is it different now?

I see you sailed on Destiny, to my knowledge that is the only ship that has open seating the first night.

I see you sailed on Destiny, to my knowledge that is the only ship that has open seating the first night.

So there's no open seating on the first night, just a realxed dress code. Correct?

The food is always awesome. Also, remember they have pizza (which oh my God is the greatest pizza next to chicago deep dish) so you kids might love that. The poolside is casual and would definitely be your best bet on the first night :) Are you 100% positive that they don't have more than one orientation? You would think that they would because of the different seatings. I would check as soon as you get on board just be sure :)

When we sailed on the Inspiration and the Destiny, we got a card at embarkation that told us dinner was open seating (not to go to assigned table on 1st night). Could it have been because these 2 cruises were out of San Juan ( with a 10 PM sailing?). I just assumed that maybe all Carnival cruises were set up like this......

When we sailed on the Inspiration and the Destiny, we got a card at embarkation that told us dinner was open seating (not to go to assigned table on 1st night). Could it have been because these 2 cruises were out of San Juan ( with a 10 PM sailing?). I just assumed that maybe all Carnival cruises were set up like this......

Yes, that was the reason and the exception to the general rule.

We have only had open seating once, and that was in February when the ship was leaving at 8PM and we didn't get on until 6PM... all others, we have been at our table the first night. I wouldn't suggest switching for one night... they have the table assignments in place, and switching for one night would be a hassle I would think... just skip the dining room that night and have dinner at the buffet or PIZZA :D

Yep, that's the only one we've had open seating on too (Destiny). I found it funny because there were cruisers that embarked at both Barbados and Aruba, which made SanJuan a port in the middle of their cruise. Kind of weird to have to give up your table in the middle of your cruise, even if for only one night.

Liv, Destiny is also the only cruise were shorts are allowed in the dining room 3 nights of the cruise.

Liv, Destiny is also the only cruise were shorts are allowed in the dining room 3 nights of the cruise.

:confused: Anyone know the reason why?

Because of the new passengers boarding at Barbados and Aruba. Those port days, plus the San Juan embarkation day, are the days that dinner dress is really relaxed. It's the in case newly arriving passengers don't get their luggage in time thing.

:confused: Anyone know the reason why?

As was mentioned Destiny boards passengers in San Juan, Barbados and Aruba. It doesnt leave each of those ports until 10pm-11pm. The dining rooms are half full on the evenings when the ship stays in Barbados(10PM) and Aruba(11PM),I think they just decided to allow shorts to be worn for dinner, so people that want to dine on the ship can come get a quick meal and head back off the ship without getting dressed up. Also those people that board the ship in Barbados and Aruba might not get their luggage in time.

I have been on Destiny 4 times and have never used the dining room for the nights in Barbados and Aruba. Since most ships usually leave port at 5-7pm its seems like a waste to me to burn up 2-3 hours of port time eating on the ship.

• 2 weeks later...
Never been on a cruise that my table was not assigned beginning the first night.

Do ypu get what you request ?? I'm with a large group and do not want half eating at one time and anouth latter.

Also do they keep us together??

Do ypu get what you request ?? I'm with a large group and do not want half eating at one time and anouth latter.Also do they keep us together??

When large groups are booked at the same time, their reservations are usually "linked", so that they all have the same dining room, time, etc., and the tables are usually located next to each other.

You might want to check with your booking agent to make SURE every booking in your party is 'linked'.:)

• 2 weeks later...

No, you have an assigned table when you first board, it will be listed in your cabin when you first board or on your Sail and Sign card.

No, you have an assigned table when you first board, it will be listed in your cabin when you first board or on your Sail and Sign card.

If the first night is open seating?? Then on the Destiny they have new people getting on in Barbados and Aruba. now if it's open seating on their first night will they be seating in our seats??

I'm a little confussed :confused: As I have our tables and time?

If soem can clear this up, Thanks

If the first night is open seating?? Then on the Destiny they have new people getting on in Barbados and Aruba. now if it's open seating on their first night will they be seating in our seats??

I'm a little confussed :confused: As I have our tables and time?

If soem can clear this up, Thanks

Its open seating, the first night, on Destiny for people boarding in San Juan. After the first night you will go to your assigned table for the rest of the cruise.

Archived