Best way to handle a no-show?

scgamecock

Cruising solo this Saturday. My (ex)girlfriend is no longer going with me. I booked Early Saver so no way that I can change the name and take someone else. Do I call now and tell them or just report her as a no-show when I get on the ship? I would like to get a refund on her port charges.

I remember reading here that it is best to report the missing person as a no-show at the port or on the ship instead of calling in advance. What is the reasoning behind that?

Any advice from my Cruise Critic friends would be appreciated. :)

There is someone in the exact same position as you that posted the other day. That person is leaving on Sunday. I'm sorry to hear about the now ex.

The reason that people will say to not call & cancel the person is because your booking then becomes a solo booking. Solos have to pay double the cruise fare, referred to as a 100% solo supplement. In situations like yours, when you would cancel the person, Carnival used to then charge you another entire cruise fare on top of what you already paid. In other words, the penalty for cancelling your ex is 100% at this point, so that entire amount is removed from the booking as a penalty. And at that point, you then have to pay another cruise fare, to cover the "solo supplement". By that point, you've paid 3 cruise fares. I was shot down on the other thread for saying that Carnival does this. According to that poster, Carnival no longer does this. That poster says that the penalty amount is not removed from the booking, which would mean the solo supplement is still covered. Whether that's actually how they're doing it now or not, I don't know for sure. I haven't asked Carnival.

The gov't taxes will be refunded for your ex. The port charges will not be. Those are a part of the cruise fare, so the solo pays 2 port charges for 1 person, and the port charges are not refunded for a no-show. However, I'm assuming you meant to say the gov't taxes & fees, which are listed as an additional charge to the cruise fare. That will be refunded to you, even in the case of a no-show. The advice given on that other thread was to say that the other person isn't checking with you when you check in. Then, once on board the ship, you can go to guest services and tell them that your ex is a no-show and ask for the gov't taxes to be refunded to your sail & sign account.

There is someone in the exact same position as you that posted the other day. That person is leaving on Sunday. I'm sorry to hear about the now ex.

The reason that people will say to not call & cancel the person is because your booking then becomes a solo booking. Solos have to pay double the cruise fare, referred to as a 100% solo supplement. In situations like yours, when you would cancel the person, Carnival used to then charge you another entire cruise fare on top of what you already paid. In other words, the penalty for cancelling your ex is 100% at this point, so that entire amount is removed from the booking as a penalty. And at that point, you then have to pay another cruise fare, to cover the "solo supplement". By that point, you've paid 3 cruise fares. I was shot down on the other thread for saying that Carnival does this. According to that poster, Carnival no longer does this. That poster says that the penalty amount is not removed from the booking, which would mean the solo supplement is still covered. Whether that's actually how they're doing it now or not, I don't know for sure. I haven't asked Carnival.

The gov't taxes will be refunded for your ex. The port charges will not be. Those are a part of the cruise fare, so the solo pays 2 port charges for 1 person, and the port charges are not refunded for a no-show. However, I'm assuming you meant to say the gov't taxes & fees, which are listed as an additional charge to the cruise fare. That will be refunded to you, even in the case of a no-show. The advice given on that other thread was to say that the other person isn't checking with you when you check in. Then, once on board the ship, you can go to guest services and tell them that your ex is a no-show and ask for the gov't taxes to be refunded to your sail & sign account.

Carnival has NEVER done it the way you are explaining. The OP can cancel now or after arrival, since there is no refund due it doesn't matter. IF there is actually money being refunded (other than the port fees) then you want to wait because you have to pay the difference but in this case it doesn't matter.

That's not true at all. The OP has already paid for two fares. He is entitled to any refunds of tax tips and other charges.

Calling, sometimes they might throw a bone. I called on a Monday for a Thursday cruise, having to go from a triple to a solo. I actually got refunded my third entire fare.

Carnival has NEVER done it the way you are explaining. The OP can cancel now or after arrival, since there is no refund due it doesn't matter. IF there is actually money being refunded (other than the port fees) then you want to wait because you have to pay the difference but in this case it doesn't matter.

My PVP said to show up and NOT CANCEL beforehand. I mentioned it at the port and my booking locked up and we spent 20 minutes trying to rebook me and get my online info back into the computer.

DO NOT CANCEL, JUST SHOW UP.

Your add on taxes and fees will automatically be refunded.

I would not do it your way .. as it complicated checking in.

My PVP has been there a long time.. and works for Carnival which I am assuming you dont.. so I would follow her advice not yours.

That's not true at all. The OP has already paid for two fares. He is entitled to any refunds of tax tips and other charges.

Calling, sometimes they might throw a bone. I called on a Monday for a Thursday cruise, having to go from a triple to a solo. I actually got refunded my third entire fare.

There are only two of them going. Its ES fare. OP would owe at least the 200% solo supplement, so there would be no refund coming no matter when he cancelled.

What happened to you is unusual and you got lucky with your triple. I would not chance it if I were the OP.

There are only two of them going. Its ES fare. OP would owe at least the 200% solo supplement, so there would be no refund coming no matter when he cancelled.

What happened to you is unusual and you got lucky with your triple. I would not chance it if I were the OP.

I realize that, and if I listened to these boards back then, it would have been a donation to Carnival.

I called anyway.

But are you saying the OP would sail solo paying for a double if he's silent, and as a triple if he cancels?

I realize that, and if I listened to these boards back then, it would have been a donation to Carnival.

I called anyway.

But are you saying the OP would sail solo paying for a double if he's silent, and as a triple if he cancels?

?? I dont get your comment..sorry

Im saying if there are only 2 in the cabin and one decides not to go leaving one, the OP would not be due a refund no matter when they cancelled.

and yes, if the OP cancels the 2nd pax, technically they could charge him the 200% solo supplement and sure might.

You said you were a triple, so if one cancels, a refund might be due at a couple weeks out.. but since you were only days out you were lucky they refunded.

OP is not in a triple so your set up does not apply, he would pay 200% if he booked solo, or if he is now booked with 2 and one is a no show.. no matter what, carnival charges for 2 people, so there is no reason to cancel unless he has insurance which would cover the person cancelling.

I had this situation happen to me...2 days before cruise my friend's mother passed away, I called my pvp and asked if I should cancel her and they told me if I did I would have to pay her half of cruise, that I should just show up and let them put her as a no show. They contacted me in my cabin and asked about her. I told them she was coming in separate from me and I didn't know for sure what was happening....I felt bad, but since I had paid for the whole cruise myself, except for her tips and txs. I did not think it fair to have to pay again! They reallly need to have a better way of handling this type of situation as it is not fair if it's paid in total by one of the cruisers that they be punished for guest not going!

This just happened to me early last week where my friend had to cancel because his daughter has to have a surgery on a day he would be away on the cruise. IF you can find a replacement you can call and switch to a new person. Here is how it works. You lose $250 from the original booking and the new person pays the full original price paid.

Ex. Total cruise cost per person $650

You lose $250 leaving you a credit for the new person $400.

New person pays $250 plus the credit of $400 and is now on board.

If you can prove that you paid for your (ex)girlfriend's cruise you might be able to get $200 of that for a future cruise in your name. I was able to get that.

. IF you can find a replacement you can call and switch to a new person.

I actually do have a friend who could go, but I booked Early Saver, so no name changes. Believe me, I would have already done that were it so simple.

What rate were you booked under?

I actually do have a friend who could go, but I booked Early Saver, so no name changes. Believe me, I would have already done that were it so simple.

I haven't heard of westcruzer's type of situation before, but so much of Carnival's policies are not available for us to see. Every other rate other than Early Saver would've allowed a name change for a $50 fee. As you see, I got shot down again, but others agree with me that Carnival could possibly still do it the way I described. Most of us don't really know for sure (even if we think we do), but firefly is one of the most seasoned veterans on these issues, as well as many other issues.

If your friend definitely can go & wants to, give Carnival a call and ask them what would be the best way to handle it. If the people who shot me down are correct, you would be able to cancel the ex, and book your friend into that spot, and pay nothing extra in the whole process. Reason: If you had been booked solo the whole time, you would've paid the same amount as you've paid now (minus gov't fees for 1), and you would be able to add a 2nd person for no extra charge, other than gov't fees for 1. So if Carnival doesn't make you pay the solo supplement after canceling the ex, you would be able to switch passengers in a 2-step process for free. I cannot see that being allowed. But you could see what suggestions they come up with.

CALL THEM!!!!! I did it TWICE on the same booking talking to 2 different people. Ok let me try and give you the shorter story.

I booked ES with 2 rooms for a total of 4 people.

ok so take me, my wife and our room out of the equation......

now we have 2 friends booked in a room at a total of $810 for a 7 day cruise PER PERSON.

One person (my co worker) backed out after final payment. I cancelled him out and had a replacement at the same time. They had a $250 fee to cancel my co worker out and the new person (my best friend) had to pay $810.

Just 2 weeks ago my replacement (best friend) found out about his daughter's (11) surgery(brain surgery) that was going to have to happen while he was on the cruise. He had to cancel out and I totally understood.

We did the EXACT same thing! My best friend paid me the $250 cancellation fee and my sister in law is now coming and paid the $810.

Taking it one step further I was able to prove that I paid for the co worker with my credit card and they gave me back $200. NORMALLY they would give you a $200 credit toward a furture cruise but my situation was a little different so they went ahead and refunded my $200. The actual policy is that they will give you a credit ONLY for a future cruise (not the current one you are booked on)

By the way the reason this works is because this is NOT considered a name change. This is a cancelation and a rebooking. A loop hole in the ES program.

Here is a snip from their website about early saver. In bold it states cancellation penalties. Well the penalty is the initial deposit which on a 7 day cruise is $250.

Cruise rates are in US dollars, per person, based on double occupancy, capacity controlled and subject to change at any time without prior notice. Government taxes and fees are additional for all guests. A non-refundable and non-transferable deposit is required at the time of booking for all guests to secure confirmed accommodations. Fares are backed by a unique price protection policy. Full names are required for each guest. Offer is valid for new bookings only and is not combinable with any other discounted or promotional offer. Available on sailings 3 months prior to sail date for short cruises (5 days or less) and available on sailings 5 months prior to sail date for long cruises (6 days or longer). Savings are based on Fun Select rates and vary by sailings. Category restrictions and exclusions apply. No name changes are allowed. A $50 service fee will be assessed per person for ship and/or sail date changes made prior to the final payment due date. Cancellation penalties apply. Please refer to the Cruise Ticket Contract for additional terms and conditions. Ships' Registry: The Bahamas, Panama & Malta.

My only concern for you is the fact that it is such short notice but it is worth a shot!!

The penalty for cancelling is different depending on how close you are to sailing. westcruzer may have been given a break there. The $250 penalty sounds like they were only penalized the deposit amount. Technically, under the cruise contract (which he provided a link to), once you are within 14 days of sailing, the penalty is the entire cruise fare. But if he was given a break, maybe you will too. You could give it a shot.

If the people who shot me down are correct, you would be able to cancel the ex, and book your friend into that spot, and pay nothing extra in the whole process. Reason: If you had been booked solo the whole time, you would've paid the same amount as you've paid now (minus gov't fees for 1), and you would be able to add a 2nd person for no extra charge, other than gov't fees for 1. So if Carnival doesn't make you pay the solo supplement after canceling the ex, you would be able to switch passengers in a 2-step process for free.

This example laid out here may be the loophole in being able to switch passengers for free. But Carnival may be prepared for people trying to do this. They may not allow a solo to book a 2nd person for nothing extra (other than gov't fees) if they have recently cancelled a different person within the penalty period. My advice would be to be straight up with what you're trying to do there, and if they don't have anything stopping you from doing it, they may not like it, but they would let you do it.

The penalty for cancelling is different depending on how close you are to sailing. westcruzer may have been given a break there. The $250 penalty sounds like they were only penalized the deposit amount. Technically, under the cruise contract (which he provided a link to), once you are within 14 days of sailing, the penalty is the entire cruise fare. But if he was given a break, maybe you will too. You could give it a shot.

This example laid out here may be the loophole in being able to switch passengers for free. But Carnival may be prepared for people trying to do this. They may not allow a solo to book a 2nd person for nothing extra (other than gov't fees) if they have recently cancelled a different person within the penalty period. My advice would be to be straight up with what you're trying to do there, and if they don't have anything stopping you from doing it, they may not like it, but they would let you do it.

Either way please give us an update.I would love to hear how it worked out for you. I think the biggest thing going against you right now is the short amount of time left.

Did you buy any coverage for the trip? If so, wouldn't it help in a situation like this. "My girlfriend got sick (in the head) and couldn't make it". The dog ate her passport? Her cat had kittens? Depending on the policy you may have an out.

Great choice! Going solo is a blast, will this be your first solo cruise?

I've actually been on several solo cruise adventures. One day I will find someone who loves cruising as much as myself to share the fun with. It's a shame because I thought I had found her.

But, anyways, I haven't had a bad cruise yet! Cruising solo is great.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Sounds like everyone was able to help you! Hope you enjoy your cruise and get a chance to watch the Gamecocks!!

Thanks! I will definitely be watching as much of the game as I can. Hopefully it will be playing in the sports bar.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Archived