Just 9 Days til we Set sail on Magic ! What bags do you carry on?

Beachlover76

We are all so excited to be sailing on the Magic in 9 short days!! I have pulled my bags down, got my packing list ready and will be adding things to my bags as the week goes by.:D:D:D

I usually have one large bag that I check, and use a carry on for my essentials and also my waters and soda.

I am wondering how everyone else does this?

This will be our 5th cruise, and I am wondering if I'm lugging around too much stuff.

I have one small "rolling" suitcase for that kind of thing plus all our electronics - NEVER, NEVER, NEVER

check your electronics (camera, laptop, i-pods, etc)!

Maybe that means I'm lugging a bit more around, but at least I know where they are - someone on our last cruise was still waiting for his bag "to be found" on Wednesday (we boarded Saturday) - it had his laptop and cameras inside ... I never heard what happened ... but since they go through the porters outside, handlers at the port, and the ship, there are just too many opportunities for one dishonest person to make your life difficult - no way to trace what happened and who did it if something would go missing. I'd say the same thing about jewelry, traveler's checks (does anyone still use those?), extra cash, and medications - anything that is important to you should be carried on.

We check our large bag with clothes and shoes and then we carry our carry on that has all of our docs, electronics, and an extra sets of clothes and we have a rolling duffle that we put our soft drinks, DHs non alcholic beer and my wine in. Then when the cruise is over we can use the empty rolling bag for anything we bought.

As an over-packer I clearly need some help. I usually check one rolling large duffle shaped bag and 1 large hanging garmet bag, take a BIG purse and a carryon. I love all my nicer things on hangers - so how do you keep your clothes looking great with limited luggage?

As an over-packer I clearly need some help. I usually check one rolling large duffle shaped bag and 1 large hanging garmet bag, take a BIG purse and a carryon. I love all my nicer things on hangers - so how do you keep your clothes looking great with limited luggage?

We roll then steam and hang once onboard.

This is a great video, also my daughter's BF had the cabin stewart press his suit once onboard and for both pcs. was only $8.00

I carry everything in my airline approved rolling carry on bag that I can't live without. Also, carry enough clothing that if had to, I could survive without my 1, 26" bag for the entire cruise. And of course, my bottle of wine is in my carry on. Have seen too many cruises where luggage has been lost. DH has 1, 26" bag and a small shoulder bag for electronics & change of clothes.

Would not use a garment bag (too light) after watching dock workers load luggage--hate to say how many garment bags flew off the crates and were run over by the loaders--at least their clothes got pressed...lol.

Pack good clothes on hangers, cover with dry cleaning bags and accordian fold in luggage--never had a wrinkle.

Also, wrap all you clothes in plastic, learned this the hard way. On our last cruise it was pouring rain, the luggage sat outside for hours (San Diego), luggage and most of the clothes inside were soaked. Several items were ruined by the die from the inside straps fading onto clothes items. So, this time I am going to take a large garbage bag, split it open and place it in luggage first, then fold it over the clothes enclosing everything in plastic. Maybe this is over kill, but you don't know how miserable it can be when you are leaving on a 15 days cruise to Hawaii with all wet clothes.

Wow..golfpccc...sounds like you had bad luck when your luggage got wet. Every cruise I usually take a garment bag, and put my sun dresses, 2 formal night dresses, and really nice stuff in this bag. It seems that they dont get a wrinkled in this bag, and also put all my shoes in the compartments. But after hearingou say that this happens to bags...I might rethink my packing this week...I have only 6 days til we leave...:))

I'm also a believer in plastic bags. Those very cheap trash can liners (asst. sizes) are the best. Cut a slot in the center of the top, use dry cleaner hangers, drape bag over hanger and item and then just roll up the item. Stack the hangers in different directions in the bag. Since fabric isn't rubbing on fabric everything stays virtually wrinkle free. Besides you can just top off with shoes or something heavier as you layer up your bag. Once on board it takes minutes to rip off the plastic, hang up the clothes, and away you go.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm doing the Single Digit Dance Right Now!! I'm going on a cruise in just 9 MORE DAYS!!! Yeeesssssssssss!!

I'm happy to see there's some sort of "Dance" going on these days! Now--in the age of electronics--we can't do the ol' "Doc" (document) dance like we used to when our paperwork arrived in the mail.:)

At the risk of incurring the wrath of overpackers, I pack extremely light. The last 10-day cruise I did with one carry-on roller bag and a backpack for my electronics/drinks.

There was a rather heated discussion around this over here

LOL - pack as many bags as you are comfortable with, all I'm trying to say is that it is possible to pack light for these and still look good and have fun.

To each his/her own... Just enjoy the cruise!

Archived