1st timer, question on rooms

lberbe

First time cruiser, I'm looking at Carnival Liberty June 15, 2013 and I'm trying to determine the best room(s) for me to get. It'll be my wife and I and my two 17yo daughters. I'm thinking about getting two adjoining balcany rooms (one for them one for us) for around $4500 total but I'm also wondering if it would be worth saving $1000 and sharing a room? Can four "adults" really share a room or when they say "up to 4 ppl" in a room are they really talking about little kids? I know we'll mainly only use the room for sleeping and changing. Any recommendations for people who have tried 4 in one room?

Also, a goofy thing about Carnival website, is there not a way to book two rooms at the same time? When doing a mock booking I can only seem to purchase a single room. Other cruise lines seem to let you book more than one room. Am I missing something?

First time cruiser, I'm looking at Carnival Liberty June 15, 2013 and I'm trying to determine the best room(s) for me to get. It'll be my wife and I and my two 17yo daughters. I'm thinking about getting two adjoining balcany rooms (one for them one for us) for around $4500 total but I'm also wondering if it would be worth saving $1000 and sharing a room? Can four "adults" really share a room or when they say "up to 4 ppl" in a room are they really talking about little kids? I know we'll mainly only use the room for sleeping and changing. Any recommendations for people who have tried 4 in one room?

Also, a goofy thing about Carnival website, is there not a way to book two rooms at the same time? When doing a mock booking I can only seem to purchase a single room. Other cruise lines seem to let you book more than one room. Am I missing something?

First...welcome to cruise critic.

There are certain websites that we are not allowed to post. Put this together and go to this website. It will show actual pictures of the cabins and you can get an idea of what the area is for 4 people.

To me....4 adults in 1 cabin and one bathroom is tight.....but maybe you do not spend a lot of time in your cabin...you can save $$$ by doing this.

cruiseline rooms dot com

Click on your ship

Click on any of the colored numbers

Click on the pictures to blow them up

Good luck to you

It's doable...but with 4 adult-sized folks, I wouldn't do it....just too tight. Ship cabins aren't even the size of a hotel room...it's tight!

How about getting the girls an inside room across the hall from your balcony...they could come and enjoy the balcony IF they wanted to...my bet is 17 year olds won't give a fig about a balcony...they won't be "lazing" around...they'll be out and about, checking out the boys!

This could give you the space you need, 2 baths, and a cheaper price!

If you do this, have the deck plans in front of you when booking, so you'll know what cabins you're actually booking...you want the girls in close proximity!

Thank you CB. I don't know why I didn't think about getting them an inside room across the hall. Guess I was hung up on the idea of adjoining rooms.

I believe they require one adult (over 21) per room. How strict are the cruise lines on this? Do I just need to book it with my wife in one room with one of the girls and me in the other with the other one, then rearrange once we're on board? Or so they really not care? And again, is there a way to book the two rooms at the same time at the carnival website?

Thanks again.

We are sailing the Liberty in April of 2013 and are also bringing my son and his college roommate. We opted for one balcony room, mid-ship on the Empress deck, ( cabins above and below) with an inside across the hall. I cannot imagine 4 passengers in one cabin unless two of them were small children. The additional cabin will also allow for us all to have our own privacy and be able to come and go late at night without disturbing one another. They can still come across the hall and enjoy our balcony but still be able to have thier own space.

As long as the 17 yr olds are across the hall or very near your cabin, it will be ok for you to book them alone.

:)

i have done 5 of us in an inside cabin. It is doable.

I do not think I could have done it if two of those people were teenage girls. (My boys were 15, 17 and 19 and niece 12)

Can you book a balcony for you and your wife and an inside cabin across the hall for the girls.

They will not be using the balcony--they will be too busy out and about on the ship so booking a balcony for them is a waste of money.

You want to look at balconies on the empress deck-- look at cat 8B which is located in the aft and puts you closer to all the action with little traveling.

Going a few cabins into the next category could cost you almost 100 more for the same type of cabin. (the higher on the ship you go the more you will pay.

My favorite cbin is 7411

Looking at the empress deck gives you cheaper cabins. great locations.

between cabin space and away from public areas.

---

now if your teen girls are not the diva type where they need to fuss with their hair and make up---and one bathroom is all you need--

then one cabin is all you will need..

but if you price out the balcony/inside combination you will find it really isnt that much of a difference.

if they are both your kids-- then they can be booked in a cabin by themself-- if one is a friend---you will have to book you and wife in either cabin with one girl... then ask for a new room key- you will not be able to switch out sign and sail cards-- are both your kids?

Also, a goofy thing about Carnival website, is there not a way to book two rooms at the same time? When doing a mock booking I can only seem to purchase a single room. Other cruise lines seem to let you book more than one room. Am I missing something?[/

No! One bathroom? One closet? No! Our neighbors on our cruise booked Mom and daughter in the inside cabin and dad and son in the balcony, which satisfied the requirement of one over 21 person per room. Of course, kids took inside cabin and parents took balcony. We were treated to two mornings of banging door which woke us up and shook our bed. I figured out that the parents were getting up early and the kids were going back and forth to their cabin to use the bathroom, but throwing the deadbolt so the doors wouldn't lock. I left a polite post-it on their door begging them to close the door softly. No problem after that.

Thank you for the tips. I will definately be getting a second room for them on the inside across the hall from us. That way they can fight over their own bathroom instead of ours. While we won't be saving $1000 by sharing a room it looks like we'll save $500 with them having their own room on the inside vs. have an adjoining room!

Thank you again for your tips.

Also just thought of another question (thinking about how messy my girls are), do cruises do daily room service (cleaning) like hotels do?

I think you have the right idea. I've done 4 in a cabin for a short Disney Wonder cruise and it was a little tight. We had 2 connected balcony cabins with 4 in each so we had two bathrooms available but it was still cramped, especially with 3 adult women and 1 teenage girl.

Thank you for the tips. I will definately be getting a second room for them on the inside across the hall from us. That way they can fight over their own bathroom instead of ours. While we won't be saving $1000 by sharing a room it looks like we'll save $500 with them having their own room on the inside vs. have an adjoining room!

Also just thought of another question (thinking about how messy my girls are), do cruises do daily room service (cleaning) like hotels do?

actually the steward will turn the room twice a day. (factor in tips of 80.pp)

they will not touch personal stuff- so if they leave clothes on the floor they might stay there.,

an over the door shoe holder may work for them to keep the cabin some what organized. keeps all their personal stuff off the counters. Tell the girls not to live out of suitcases but put the stuff away- hang as much as possible.

there is only one outlet in the cabin and that is located at the vanity. they will not be able to blow dry hair while curling iron is plugged in. If the girls think this is too inconvenitent-- tell them to shower in the gym/spa area.

A multiple extension cord is needed. no irons allowed on the ship- they do have their own

We took our 13-year-old grandaughters to SF for a long weekend. They lived out of their suitcases but we didn't ask for daily service. I think the cabin stewards need to do the rooms to justify the tips and for performance reviews. I would recommend they put their clothes away in the closet and try to be neat. I went to ikea and found a nice multi-pocket organizer that would help with bathroom stuff. Also found a power strip online that was inexpensive and very compact. Short cord that wrapped around the strip and plugged in itself for packing. That would help with hair care. One girl in the bathroom and one at the desk mirror. Also got a small plastic shower caddy with suction cups to hold shampoo in shower. Just held a little, but those shower shelves are tiny. Don't forget a light tote for their poolside and shore excursions. Have fun!

Thank you again for your tips. I will definately try to hunt down some organizers especially a door hanging shoe holder, that was a great idea for my girls and their many many shoes they'll bring.

Serene,

you mentioned "plan on $80 in tips per person" is that on top of the the $10 per day per person and only for the steward? I'm one for tipping, especially for good service but $40/day or $20/room/day seems a little excessive. Especially on top of the already $280 in "mandatory" tips ($10/day pp).

Thanks, Lance

Thank you again for your tips. I will definately try to hunt down some organizers especially a door hanging shoe holder, that was a great idea for my girls and their many many shoes they'll bring.

Serene,

you mentioned "plan on $80 in tips per person" is that on top of the the $10 per day per person and only for the steward? I'm one for tipping, especially for good service but $40/day or $20/room/day seems a little excessive. Especially on top of the already $280 in "mandatory" tips ($10/day pp).

Thanks, Lance

nope- the tips are 11.50 per day now per person.

It is for the steward, waiters, asst waiters. (including the workers at the buffet)

Thanks, Lance

tell the girls to leave the shoes behind--unless you are driving.

Shoes weigh a lot and airlines weight is limited to 50 pounds.

Flip flops, sneaks and a pair of dress shoes-- leave the heels home. (it is a moving vessel)

If you have two cabins, you probably won't need hanging things or shower caddy.

New cruisers always seem to overpack. With two 17-year-old girls, they're going to want to take every article of clothing they own and every pair of shoes, so your suitcases are going to be stuffed already.

I sailed on HAL 2-weeks to Hawaii with 2 other women. We dressed for dinner every night. Had plenty of closet space and managed just fine getting ready for dinner, having showers, etc.

If everyone wants to get ready at the same time, some can always go to the spa and use the (larger) showers there. I know many people who travel with more than 2 per cabin use that option.

Power strip may be confiscated. Have always managed to charge cameras and phones with just the one outlet.

When I first discovered these boards (after 5 cruises), I read about all the things I needed to pack that I'd never thought of! So I did and none of them ever came out of the suitcase. My goal is to pack lighter and lighter each time, not keep adding "essentials" that really aren't. I'd rather pack another pair of shoes than a power strip! :D

Another thing I want to tell you-- make sure those girls go to the first teen meeting the first night.

Tell them its mandatory- its for kids ages 15-17 and basically they meet kids from their sailing and they tend to hang out with all week. You will see them eating pizza, playing cards, sitting in hot tubs.

Hadn't seen anywhere that the mandatory tips went up to $11/pp/day. Which isn't much more than what I had planned. I'll also be planning a little extra tip money for some of the xtras like a little extra to the steward and for the bag carriers. So for the 4 of us for 7 days I'll budget about $350 including the mandatory $322.

We will be driving down to the Miami so no issues with suitcase limit for the airlines. Parking may be another issue. I refuse to pay $20 a day at the port.

My girls are very prissy and will for sure want to dress up every night and while they may not wear heals on the ship they'll probably wear wedges/flip flops/sneakers so I wouldn't be suprised if they had 7-10 pair each. Heaven forbid they share and swap out. They're only identical twins.

I know all about overpacking, we drove to New England this summer for 10 days (from AR) and were packed full. When we got home the suitcases were basically dumped in the laundry room and I noticed a bunch of the girls stuff (as well as mine and my wife's) was never worn. So I'm all for packing light myself.

I will definately find out about the teen meeting when we arrive and make them go. They still think I can read all their texts online, so convincing them it's mandatory shouldn't be a problem.

That reminds me of another question... cell phone reception/costs. I haven't done any research on this yet but do most plans cover that area or is it just straight up international charges. I just can't imagine trying to hunt them down on a ship that size when we want to eat togeather or something.

you want to check your carrier regarding the girls cell phone usage.

even with an international plan-- at sea charges could rack up=

texts will get costly-- 50 cents to send. (EACH( even with an unlimited plan.

that 11.50 tipping GUIDELINE was in effect when we went last January.

We pre paid them at the cheaper rate.. so it must be in effect now

the cabin is 185 square feet-- and bathroom/beds/closet takes up that space. (LOL)

Oh, BTW, I did see on another thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1693285

a work around to make your cell phones work on board using the wifi without actually connecting. It would only work with other phones on board that are set up but you should be able to call or text for free with this app/work around.

Crampped quarters or not, I'm really getting excited about it, and it's more then 8 1/2 months away. :D

Another tip for your girls--make dinner as a family mandatory- they can have friends when they are grown--LOL

Life is too short--enjoy it

• 4 months later...
First...welcome to cruise critic.

There are certain websites that we are not allowed to post. Put this together and go to this website. It will show actual pictures of the cabins and you can get an idea of what the area is for 4 people.

To me....4 adults in 1 cabin and one bathroom is tight.....but maybe you do not spend a lot of time in your cabin...you can save $$$ by doing this.

cruiseline rooms dot com

Click on your ship

Click on any of the colored numbers

Click on the pictures to blow them up

Good luck to you

wow THANK you for posting this website it HELPS so much!

Hadn't seen anywhere that the mandatory tips went up to $11/pp/day. Which isn't much more than what I had planned. I'll also be planning a little extra tip money for some of the xtras like a little extra to the steward and for the bag carriers. So for the 4 of us for 7 days I'll budget about $350 including the mandatory $322.

We will be driving down to the Miami so no issues with suitcase limit for the airlines. Parking may be another issue. I refuse to pay $20 a day at the port.

My girls are very prissy and will for sure want to dress up every night and while they may not wear heals on the ship they'll probably wear wedges/flip flops/sneakers so I wouldn't be suprised if they had 7-10 pair each. Heaven forbid they share and swap out. They're only identical twins.

I know all about overpacking, we drove to New England this summer for 10 days (from AR) and were packed full. When we got home the suitcases were basically dumped in the laundry room and I noticed a bunch of the girls stuff (as well as mine and my wife's) was never worn. So I'm all for packing light myself.

I will definately find out about the teen meeting when we arrive and make them go. They still think I can read all their texts online, so convincing them it's mandatory shouldn't be a problem.

That reminds me of another question... cell phone reception/costs. I haven't done any research on this yet but do most plans cover that area or is it just straight up international charges. I just can't imagine trying to hunt them down on a ship that size when we want to eat togeather or something.

I left my phone on during a cruise around New England to Canada. I was on a family plan with my daughter. Her eyes popped when she got the bill. It was huge. Roaming charges! All those programs that are constantly searching, email, Facebook, whatever! Don't turn them on. Find some other way to communicate. Set time to be back? Meet in the atrium?

Archived