QE2 January Crossing

sfo-john

I just booked my MO cabin for the January 3rd crossing for next year on QE2. I'm very excited to be back on board QE2. I did the December crossing this past year (my first) and it was an absolute pleasure. Anyone else booked yet? How about anyone from last December's crossing?

I am seriously thinking about booking this crossing although would like to book a CA or PG grade cabin but am on a waitlist for these 2 grades! I am not sure how I'd find an MO cabin & the Mauretania Restaurant after only having previously travelled in Grill cabins mainly & a CA grade one once?

Having said this it would be good do another crossing on QE2 - would like to try QM2 but I refuse to pay 175 / 200% supplement!

Kind Regards,

RJMS74

I did the Mauretania on the last crossing and this is what I can say about it: I had low expectations and it turned out much better than I thought. I found lunches to be quite nice and consistent and most of dinners were too, although there were a couple of real clunkers. On the one or two occassions that I was disappointed in the food, I instead just enjoyed the ambience and everyone being so nicely turned out. One night I was invited to eat in the Caronia dining room. I found the food to be pretty much the same, though the service was a bit more formal and the room is prettier in a more traditional way. That's not exactly new news, though. That said, you really might be let down after travelling Grill Class, so that would be a gamble..

Sfo-John:

Yes, my wife and I are booked for the January crossing too !!

We were, like you, aboard for last December's crossing. I'm sure that we must have crossed paths many times, unknowingly !!

Even though it's many months away, we're really looking forward to time in England and another journey aboard QE2 !!!

Tom:)

Excellent! I hadn't expected to be back on board so soon. We'll have to arrange something beforehand and have a drink at some point during the crossing.

All I can say is that I'm glad that all three of us will be aboard once again !!!

As for the drink, it would be our pleasure to join you !!

Best wishes

Tom

PS I know of at least one other CruiseCritic gentleman, whom we had the pleasure of meeting during the December crossing, who also will be sailing with us in January...

How many of you are going on further with the world cruise. I am booked NYC to LA. This will be my first QE2 experience. Decided to bite the bullet and do it before it too sails into history. Would love to pick up the ship in Southampton but I am one of the last people in the whole world that does not fly.

hey tumeroll., we are a group of 10 that have booked the ny to la sector., relaly looking forward to the Panama Canal portion., we usually do the Tahitit or Fiji portion back down to NEw Zealand on the QE2 so it will be great to speand a bit more time on the old girl..

Two more here, in Caronia, it will be my third winter crossing and my partner's first time on QE2. I was on last December's crossing, but just barely... the first morning out I came down with a cold and ended up staying in my cabin for three days, feeling miserable. Here's to better health this trip!

I'll be there, although Cunard seems to be doing a good job of incompetency about my booking : I have had three or four different stories from them about what they have booked for me and you can never get them on the phone.......plenty of time to get it sorted out (I hope).

hey ken....what grade in caronia are you travelling....we are a mixture or 1 to 5 be interested to see pics of a c5 as it seems to be the only one thats not on any brochures or site,,,..

Roscoe39, I'm booked in a C2. I believe the basic amenities in Caronia cabins are identical, but even within identical categories there are different layouts and sizes. All I can add is that I've never run out of storage room!

im the poor one....c5 for me...everyone else is c1's which i have seen before and they were very comfortable. I booked a m4 so the upgrade means i can eat in caronia with everyone else. Have you any idea of the excursions they offer on this portion of the world cruise...???

Excellent! I hadn't expected to be back on board so soon. We'll have to arrange something beforehand and have a drink at some point during the crossing.

John,

You will find no better company than Trans-Atlantic Tom and his wife, Jan. I'll be there as well. Can't wait, frankly. We are lucky to be getting one more crossing on this classic ship. Once she is gone none of us will regret a penny we spent, or a moment we dedicated, to be among the last passengers of the last great trans-Atlantic 'liner. First round in the Chart Room is on me. Let's touch base before we board.

Richard

John,

You will find no better company than Trans-Atlantic Tom and his wife, Jan. I'll be there as well. Can't wait, frankly. We are lucky to be getting one more crossing on this classic ship. Once she is gone none of us will regret a penny we spent, or a moment we dedicated, to be among the last passengers of the last great trans-Atlantic 'liner. First round in the Chart Room is on me. Let's touch base before we board.

Richard

John:

Well Richard gave it away, he's the gentleman we met during last December's crossing, to whom I was referring previously, and is booked for the January crossing. I agree with him about everything he said above. If anybody is more excited than Jan and myself about this voyage (and that's saying alot) I think is is indeed Richard !!!

Yes, let's keep in touch here on the Boards and definitely meet in The Chart Room....it will be a pleasure.

Thanks Richard !!!

Cheers

Richard looking forward to seeing you aboard again. I don't think I did met Tom.

The winter crossing club continues as long as QE2 does. Will QM2 continue the tradition ? Will it become part of the Queen Victoria world cruise? I am going to need to get my annual winter ocean fix somehow.

Thanks for the replies. I'd certainly be up for meeting in the Chart Room and I'll definitely pick up a round or two of drinks myself. It's a long way off, but being on the cold Atlantic on a warm, cozy and classic ship is certainly something to look forward to. I don't know why I waited until just this past year to do this!

Richard looking forward to seeing you aboard again. I don't think I did met Tom.

The winter crossing club continues as long as QE2 does. Will QM2 continue the tradition ? Will it become part of the Queen Victoria world cruise? I am going to need to get my annual winter ocean fix somehow.

Jon:

No, I didn't have the pleasure of meeting you in December. We'll have to make up for that this crossing. I have a funny feeling that we might recognise each other, what with QE2's relative "intimacy".

As a passing note, I did very much appreciate and enjoy the photos of the December 2004 crossing that you posted after the trip. Some of the shots were wonderful !!

Also, like you, I find I really enjoy these winter crossings. Am I perverse, twisted ??? I'll argue that I'm not !!

Best wishes

We have to arrange a chart room get together, best room on the ship, although they kept getting upset with me bringing pints down from the Golden Lion. I was apparently lowering the tone....

I have that "weather" addiction too, the more often your dinner ends up on the floor the better (it hasn't really happened). And yes....most people do not understand.

I am quite exited about going in January when the weather is often worse than December on the pond.

Jon

Thanks for the replies. I'd certainly be up for meeting in the Chart Room and I'll definitely pick up a round or two of drinks myself.

Hey John...

You lucky stiff!

Make sure you have a drink for me.

I'll be there in spirit!

:)

I am quite exited about going in January when the weather is often worse than December on the pond.

Jon

Jon:

Well that sounds just like what I want !!!

If you remember the weather during the December 2004 crossing, the first two days out of Southampton, at a table for six in Mauretania, my wife and I were the only ones at dinner both of those nights...our table companions were bunking down !!

I myself had a hearty appetite after taking in the show up on the open decks !!!

Tom;)

PS I think we'll have a nice group meeting for that drink in The Chart Room

Vic - Sorry to hear that you won't be aboard..

Tom and gang, yes it should be a fun gathering in the Chartroom. Hopefully they'll be a little bit of pitching going on. The second night out of the December crossing (the roughest night, if I remember correctly) I was invited to the Caronia Dining room by a young man who's whole rest of his family were under the weather. He probably regretted asking me, as I had my full appetite and he was nibbling on crackers and sipping broth. He did his best, though...

Archived