QE2 January Crossing

sfo-john

Yes Tom I remember the second night too, some people told me later it was a bit choppy but I was hoping it was just warming up. Myself and my mate were the only two at a table of six, around us were empty tables and even half the staff were missing.

We ate well and had great service and it was great watching the sea swirling about way down below. But they cancelled the juggling show in the grand lounge.....

Sadly the weather did not get any stormier, what a shame. Roll on January.

Jon:

Well that sounds just like what I want !!!

If you remember the weather during the December 2004 crossing, the first two days out of Southampton, at a table for six in Mauretania, my wife and I were the only ones at dinner both of those nights...our table companions were bunking down !!

I myself had a hearty appetite after taking in the show up on the open decks !!!

Tom;)

PS I think we'll have a nice group meeting for that drink in The Chart Room

Can't wait. Tom and Jan! It will bre a great crossing. I am looking for three folks to round out a pair of teams for a "Force 8, 10 Meter Wave" shuffleboard tournament. You up for it? Find a nice fille-de-mer for me and we have a game.

Richard

Jon:

Yes, it was too bad that it didn't get a little rougher in December. Jan and I were aboard QE2 WB April last year (the WB set-up for the return Tandem Crossing), and the first day out from Southampton that trip was a fair bit rougher than the day or two you and I are talking about....but, interestingly, the heavy seas didn't seem to affect the passengers as much as it did in December...maybe we had a softer group in December.

Tom

Richard:

Count us "in" for the match !!!

Tom

PS Jan and I are off for a long Memorial Day visit to NYC, departing tomorrow AM. Saturday we're taking the Circle Line cruise around Manhattan...QM2 will be in port arriving from/returing to Southampton...in the spirit of our January sailing, we'll be at Pier 92 seeing her sail...even though it's not QE2, we'll be thinking of you !!!

Just a short note re the Transat. crossing next Jan'06, is it pretty fair to say that based on the postings and rough seas encountered in December that this crossing will not be without some pretty rough seas & weather?

I am still very keen to do this crossing but after having previously done a crossing on QE2 in April 2003 when the seas were calm except for 12 hours when we encountered force 8/9 I am a bit doubtful about booking this trip!

Any advice or comments would be much appreciated.

Thanks & Kind Regards,

RJMS74

Just a short note re the Transat. crossing next Jan'06, is it pretty fair to say that based on the postings and rough seas encountered in December that this crossing will not be without some pretty rough seas & weather?

I am still very keen to do this crossing but after having previously done a crossing on QE2 in April 2003 when the seas were calm except for 12 hours when we encountered force 8/9 I am a bit doubtful about booking this trip!

Thanks & Kind Regards,

RJMS74

Dear RJMS:

I can't and won't claim to be an expert. I think it's certainly hard to say what the weather will be like in January...aside from the fact it tends to be rougher in the winter, it seems to me that it's as much an issue of whether or not we run into a weather system during the crossing.

As I say I'm no expert. I have done four QE2 crossings: August, August, April and December. By far the roughest was April, NOT December...so, as Americans say "Go figure" !!!

I think if you are keen to make the crossing, you should the book it.

How many more transatlantic crossings will QE2 be making ???

Cheers !

Tom:)

I agree with Tom. I'm no expert either, but even though we've spoken about rough weather on the last December crossing, it was really only one day of it. It was on the first full day of sailing and through that night. By the afternoon of the following day things had calmed down and it seemed everyone was back in the dining rooms. Luckily I've got a strong stomach (or inner ear...) and I didn't succumb to the motion and didn't miss a meal! Holing up in the cabin seems like it would've made it worse anyway. The rest of the crossing was smooth, although of course there was the usual pitching and movement that is associate with being mid-Atlantic. It didn't keep people out of the bars and nightclubs!

Thanks & Kind Regards,

RJMS74

I agree with Tom as well. If you are worried about the dreaded mal-de-mer (sea-sickness), don't. A bad day on QE2 is better than a good day just about anywhere else. They also have a great doc' aboard who has a shot that will slow you down a little at first but that eliminates seasickness.

This is an opportunity to be the among the last of those lucky enough to cross the Atlantic in a classic trans-Atlantic liner. Do not miss it. Apres QE2, les cruise barges. Hope to see you aboard.

Richard

Peter:

I hope that you're correct with "quite a few".

It seems safe to say that future QE2 crossings are directly linked to future QE2 World Cruises, in addition to the ship continuing to be profitable.

Beyond that, I keep thinking that the arrival on the scene of Queen Victoria and the magic date of 2010 are the other two keys.

Will QV set sail in early 2008 and immediately take over the World Cruise ??? Will QV make other voyages until 2010, with QE2 staying on in her current role until 2010 ??? Who knows.

For those who still want to make a QE2 transatlantic crossing, it looks like the optimistic number of chances is maybe 4 (January 2006, winter 2006-07, winter 2007-08, winter 2008-09), and the pessimistic number would be 2 (January 2006, winter 2006-07).

Tom

PS Are you considering making the January crossing yourself, Peter ???

the arrival on the scene of Queen Victoria and the magic date of 2010 are the other two keys. For those who still want to make a QE2 transatlantic crossing, it looks like the optimistic number of chances is maybe 4 (January 2006, winter 2006-07, winter 2007-08, winter 2008-09), and the pessimistic number would be 2 (January 2006, winter 2006-07).

Tom,

As far as I know no steel has yet been cut for QV, so a late 2007/early 2008 entry is starting to look optimistic. I agree that her arrival, and in any case 2010 will spell the end for the QE2....however, once her withdrawal IS announced I predict a series of 'positively final' Trans Atlantic crossings - possibly even a mini-season - they will milk this for all its worth. So, I am waiting yet awhile before my 'final QE2 trans-Atlantic' - I did the December 2002 (which actually did have force 9 gales) and was great fun!

Peter

Full agreement here. My "best" worst weather was April. Twice. Go figure. Last December was ok, but just. The December before, way too smooth. I'm hoping this coming January will be the "best" worst yet.

I know of 16 others booked so far, all liking crossings and winter on the sea. Some few post here, have not yet declared; the others don't know of this, or any other, site, not that there's anything wrong with that. All want to know there's Weather out there.

As the speaker said last December when the ship took a big pitch and the room went "whooo", "well, this is what we came on for."

Tom,

....however, once her withdrawal IS announced I predict a series of 'positively final' Trans Atlantic crossings - possibly even a mini-season - they will milk this for all its worth.

Peter

Peter:

This shows that I don't think in creative ways...I had never even thought of such a prospect - a "final final final" farewell series of crossings for QE2. Wow !! I think there's a good chance of something like this happening, and I think it would be very popular.

In the meantime, maybe you're missing out on a lucrative career in marketing !!

Tom;)

Peter:

In the meantime, maybe you're missing out on a lucrative career in marketing !!

Tom;)

Tom,

Thanks....but 19 years in Procter & Gamble was enough for one lifetime, fun though it was!

Peter;)

All of you are making the QE2 Winter crossing sound so great that, unless you stop, my partner and I are going to have to book passage!

Seriously...we are looking at this and it does sound wonderful. I'm right there in the Queen Elizabeth 2 fan club and realize that she's in the sunset of her career so it's now or perhaps never.

I've done QE2 transatlantic twice during the summer months (so there was not much activity on the high seas) and QM2 maiden in Jan '04 where the seas were a bit rough on the first two days out of So'ton.

My question for all you die-hard winter crossers is about seasickness meds. What's the best regimen to follow to avoid seasickness? Is there in fact a shot or patch that will eliminate seasickness? If so, what's the best and do we start taking the meds before we set sail?

Thanks!

All of you are making the QE2 Winter crossing sound so great that, unless you stop, my partner and I are going to have to book passage!

Seriously...we are looking at this and it does sound wonderful. I'm right there in the Queen Elizabeth 2 fan club and realize that she's in the sunset of her career so it's now or perhaps never.

Hi Craig ..... LTNS

If you want to do this, better move fast. She's selling like roasted chestnuts on a cold December night in Liecester Sq.

:cool:

I've done QE2 transatlantic twice during the summer months (so there was not much activity on the high seas) and QM2 maiden in Jan '04 where the seas were a bit rough on the first two days out of So'ton.

My question for all you die-hard winter crossers is about seasickness meds. What's the best regimen to follow to avoid seasickness? Is there in fact a shot or patch that will eliminate seasickness? If so, what's the best and do we start taking the meds before we set sail?

Thanks!

Ello again....

My experience with motion sickness is nil. Never bothered me.

So looks like I can't help. LOL

But, from many people come many remedies.

One is that patch you see, but it leaves ones mouth dry.

Another is a shot, which I hear is effective. Around $15 in the ships hospital. Some practical advice was to have Coke, or ginger ale to settle the stomach.

And the one that made most sense .... never eat anything that you can't keep down.

:cool:

Hi Everyone.

I've just discovered cruisecritic and this is my first message. We were on the December crossing and hope to join the January crossing. We usually book nearer the time when the offers come out but are there good prices around now ? We got caught out very badly by booking well in advance for a QE2 cruise in 2003 and vowed never again although we did book the August 30th trip on board just because of the crossing.

Hi Everyone.

I've just discovered cruisecritic and this is my first message. We were on the December crossing and hope to join the January crossing. We usually book nearer the time when the offers come out but are there good prices around now ? We got caught out very badly by booking well in advance for a QE2 cruise in 2003 and vowed never again although we did book the August 30th trip on board just because of the crossing.

seagreen,

Welcome to Cruise Critic! Like you I now wait until the last minute to book my Cunard trips....EXCEPT I suspect the QE2 January Trans-Atlantic (and World Cruise) may be the exceptions to that rule....and may sell out in advance, or at least stay at 'regular' prices. If you DO want to go, and if you can get a good deal TODAY - I'd take it.

Peter

Craig,

Seasick? Have candied ginger.

It's on trays as you enter the dining rooms of the QE2; something about it being a natural soother of stomachs and seasickness. Ask any old salt.

Do not ask in Britannia on the QM2! Only the two grills had candied ginger last year. I inquired why not in the big room? Four days into the Maiden Voyage word came: "management in Florida decided it was too much trouble for that big a room." So much for the famed Cunard ginger-trays.

(I hear this year, worried about the virus, there is little of the finger-pick and help-yourself service left on the QE2. All "finger-food" is served by help now wearing rubber gloves.)

Recently I told some QM2 B-1 bookings to just go to the Q or P Grill and pocket a bit of ginger, just in case. They did, it worked.

Thanks to everyone for giving me advice on the Jan'06 Transat crossing at the start of the WCruise, esp. re the Restaurant choice & the type of weather you can experience this time of the year. I have only this weekend decided to book another QE2 trip later next year, albeit a crossing / cruise - the Autumn Colours trip in Sep'06 so I will hopefully not be too unlucky re the weather & the rough seas!

Seagreen - I see from your posting you are going on this year's Canadian crossing on 30 Aug- have you done this type of trip before on QE2? I look forward to hearing how this trips goes when you get back. I too agree with you re reluctance to book too early in advance but with the new brochure and very good discounts & also the one cat upgrade for past passengers this last weekend it's very worthwhile booking early!

Kind Regards,

RJMS74

Yes we did the same cruise in 2001 but we sailed to New York onto Quebec, back to New York then onto Southampton. This one goes straight to Quebec. It's a fantastic trip. We're also thinking of the Sept 06 cruise so may see you there. Where did you hear of the upgrade for past passengers ? I seem to have missed that one.

Archived