Fleeced by Fees

valleyvillage

Nice article. A lot of companies are using deceptive tactics to squeeze the consumer. The carton of orange juice is a little bit smaller now so you don't notice that it's actually a price increase.

They have been playing the smaller container game for years. Put it in a smaller package and charge the same price. (Have you noticed that you get 1.5 quarts of ice cream now instead of half a gallon?)

The annoyance is sailing out of places like Spain - not only do we get the 15% which I don't mind but a further VAT on every purchase. Drinks included.

Also watch the gift shops on NCL - latitude members get discount on NCL branded goods but the staff on 6 ships have all 'forgotten' and had to refund and put it back through - how many times do they forget and how many members don't notice.

The annoyance is sailing out of places like Spain - not only do we get the 15% which I don't mind but a further VAT on every purchase. Drinks included.

Also watch the gift shops on NCL - latitude members get discount on NCL branded goods but the staff on 6 ships have all 'forgotten' and had to refund and put it back through - how many times do they forget and how many members don't notice.

Yes, that happened to me. Bought something late the last night of our Sky cruise for my DS. Assumed the discount would be automatic thru my keycard, but it wasn't. So you do have to specifically ask for it?

#firstworldproblems

I think the challenge with the gift shops is simply that they don't realize your Latitudes level is written on your card....plus, you don't tender your card until the sale is rung through at the regular price.

Spain needs all the help it can get right now...

Stephen

As I present my purchase I say-I get a lattitudes discount right?-with a smile. This way I dont have to rely on them remembering it ;)

That is exactly the way I handle the lattitudes discount. They usually respond with, "of course". :D

Archived