Arrival process for ship-what happens?

lah3185

First time cruiser. I haven't found any place where they explain the process of arrival. Is there a certain time to be able to get on ship? What happens then? I will be on Coral Princess to Alaska.

The ship will likely arrive early in the morning (between 6 and 7 am, depending on port traffic). Once the local authorities have cleared the ship itself, the disembarkation process will begin. This will take several hours. The ship should be clear of all passengers around 10:30 or 11 am. Sometime shortly after that, they'll begin the embarkation process. They board the VIP and Suite guests and then general boarding (normally it's done on a first come/first served basis) throughout the day. Check-in at the pier normally begins around 9:30 or 10. The pier agents will check you in and get your ship card/room key/boarding pass.

Granted, the above is my experience sailing with Carnival for the past several years. My first Princess cruise will be in March, so I'm not 100% familiar with it. I assume it's generally the same for all lines.

Princess is somewhat similar. Check-in usually starts at about 10am, boarding starts between 11:30am-Noon. Full suite, Platinum and Elite passengers board first followed by general boarding. Alaskan cruises usually have fewer Platinum and Elite cruisers so general boarding should start pretty quickly.

You'll be able to go directly to your cabin and start enjoying your cruise. Some cruise lines make you wait until 1-2pm but not Princess. No hanging around on Lido with your carry-on. :)

Princess is somewhat similar. Check-in usually starts at about 10am, boarding starts between 11:30am-Noon.

You'll be able to go directly to your cabin and start enjoying your cruise. Some cruise lines make you wait until 1-2pm but not Princess. No hanging around on Lido with your carry-on. :)

Somewhere along there, either before boarding or right after boarding, you will take an embarkation photo (no obligation to purchase and first of many photo ops). Cruise card will be scanned and another photo for indentification taken. Carry ons x-rayed and walk through metal detector.

Head to your cabin and drop your bags; grab the papers and newsletter and head to lunch. If you board early enough head to the main dining room (MDR) for lunch. The crew will point you to the buffet, but the MDR is calm and very nice. I think they serve until 1:30.

We were on Island Princess, Coral's sister, to Alaska in May. Have a great trip!

Thanks everyone! That reassures me a lot. My friends that have gone on Alaskan cruises have all loved Princess. I am very excited! I have started to "chat" we a few people on the roll call and that has really made me feel like I will have friends on board even though I haven't met them.:D

Thanks everyone! That reassures me a lot. My friends that have gone on Alaskan cruises have all loved Princess. I am very excited! I have started to "chat" we a few people on the roll call and that has really made me feel like I will have friends on board even though I haven't met them.:D

Much of the fun is in the planning and anticipation.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

This is one feature I'm very excited about! On Carnival, cabins are not ready until 1:30. Much to the dismay of my other half, I like to arrive at the pier early, check-in early and try to be one of the first onboard with the general boarding (my vacation starts when I board the ship, so I want to get the most of out of it). By about 12:30-1:00, most of the venues (especially the Lido and buffet area) get VERY crowded. Lots of people, tons of bags (people bringing on HUGE suitcases) EVERYWHERE! You can't move. I'm going to love the fact I can drop our carry-ons at the cabin and not have to worry about it being overly crowded.

We were just on the Coral in Alaska. If you're boarding in Whittier, I suggest taking one of the tours of Prince William Sound before you board. We did the one with Major Marine. (Coming from Anchorage by train, we gave our luggage to the porters when we boarded and it was delivered to our cabin!)

We returned to the dock from our PWS tour and boarded shortly before 5 PM. And then there was a very short line!

Just to add additional info pre check in - you give your lugggage to porters as you get out of your taxi/bus. You keep any carryon bags. Once in the terminal you go through a security check which includes a scan of your carry on luggage. You can not carry on any bags that do nor fit through the scanner. Make sure all you have your boarding papers and passport with you and not in your luggage. Also keep valuables and anything you made need in the first few hours in your carry on. Your luggage will be delivered to your cabin but that could be anywhere from 2 to 6 hours later.

At checkin you will recieve a pocket size ship map and your cruise card. Your cruise card is used for all onboard purchases and is required each time you get on or off the ship.

Archived