San Juan & Tortola

CharmedMom

We will be visiting these two ports in June on the Breeze. What is listed for excursions just don't even look interesting (at least what is listed thus far, I realize that more might be added).

I've always wanted to see the rain forests of Puerto Rico, but have read bad reviews on the rain forest excursion offered, so I don't want to waste my money there.

What have you all done (if you did something with a private tour, who with and how much) when you've been in these ports? I certainly hope that these two ports (which are both new to us) can offer something more than get off the ship, buy our souvenirs and get back on the ship.

We will be visiting these two ports in June on the Breeze. What is listed for excursions just don't even look interesting (at least what is listed thus far, I realize that more might be added).

I've always wanted to see the rain forests of Puerto Rico, but have read bad reviews on the rain forest excursion offered, so I don't want to waste my money there.

What have you all done (if you did something with a private tour, who with and how much) when you've been in these ports? I certainly hope that these two ports (which are both new to us) can offer something more than get off the ship, buy our souvenirs and get back on the ship.

I used to live in St Thomas & have visited both places often. Now, like you I have to contend with Ohio winters:p

Definitely visit the rainforest in PR. The Bacardi place is really outstanding and old San Juan with the fort & shops is wonderful. Without knowing your time frame or interests, some more suggestions might be the Array at Arecibo or some of the beaches.Check the port boards for tour operators or rent a car.

Here is a tourism link for cruisers

http://www.seepuertorico.com/travel-information/cruise-travelers

DO NOT miss a chance to go to the baths on Virgin Gorda when you stop in Tortola. It is simply an amazing place. Again, check the port board for tour Co. suggestions.

I used to live in St Thomas & have visited both places often. Now, like you I have to contend with Ohio winters:p

Definitely visit the rainforest in PR. The Bacardi place is really outstanding and old San Juan with the fort & shops is wonderful. Without knowing your time frame or interests, some more suggestions might be the Array at Arecibo or some of the beaches.Check the port boards for tour operators or rent a car.

Here is a tourism link for cruisers

http://www.seepuertorico.com/travel-information/cruise-travelers

DO NOT miss a chance to go to the baths on Virgin Gorda when you stop in Tortola. It is simply an amazing place. Again, check the port board for tour Co. suggestions.

Thank you HarpHarp, I'll look into your suggestions ... hopefully I can get some others by other folks.

Rent a car in PR and go the rain forest. My grandparents loved it. I wish I had time to go but we left the same day :(

If you are going to be in San Juan at night definitely do the Bioluminescent(sp?) Bay Tour. The best excursion we have ever done!

I'm so happy to hear that- we are taking an extra day in San Juan to do this.

Car rental through Ace is very very cheap- about $22 for the day. And el Junque is only about an hour drive.

The 2 hour segway tour of Old San Juan also gets great reviews. And their pickup is right next to the cruise port.

Hands down best excursion I ever took was to the Baths while in Tortola. It was offered thru NCL but I imagine CCL has to offer this too. It is way too amazing...gorgeous beach, crystal clear waters, hiking thru caves on the beach. One of the most beautiful places I have ever been too. The Baths are actually located on Virgin Gorda but you can get there by ferry from Tortola. Depending on how much time you have in port, I would book an excursion to this placeDSCN2405.jpg

Archived