prevent sea sickness

cruiser5809

I did everything I could possibly do to prevent it, and still was sea sick (that being said, we were out during a hurricane last year too, 12 ft. swells) I found what worked best for ME...was taking the over the counter meds they give out at the front desk every 4 - 6 hours around the clock...keeping something on my stomach (not FULL, just not empty either) and just laying down on the bed with a cool compress. After 2 days, I was good to go, but still took the meds. (and I wore the pressure bands, ate every kind of ginger I could, tried looking at the horizon etc.) I also found looking at the horizon did NOT work for me at all. We also had a balcony room, so getting fresh air helped too. I was determined to not let it ruin my trip, and it didn't...just a little hiccup that I dealt with. We sail again in 74 days, and I can't wait!

what is the best way to avoid seadsickness?

I'll give you my best answer as someone who has spent much of his life on the water: stay on the shore.

Okay, I'm guessing that's not what you want to hear. My point is EVERYONE, except maybe my mother, gets seasick at some time. For some it only takes little tiny ripples bumping against your 1,000 foot cruise ship at the dock, others may sneer at 30' breaking seas in a 40' sailboat. The best thing to stave it off if you feel it coming on is fresh air and an unimpeded view of the horizon. Something else that helps but is not likely if you've already succumbed is sleep and food. Of course if you're green and heaving over the side that might not be doable. But seriously, if you know you have a tendency to get seasick then Bonine the night before and during the cruise is the best way I've seen. The bands don't work on everyone and ginger doesn't last very long and may require a lot to be effective.

My poor mom got seasick on every cruise, nothing helped and her balance would be off for weeks afterwards.

She started using bio-bands (acupressure bands) and all of the problems stopped. A true miracle for her. She bought two sets. She put one on an hour before she left home. Then left the band on until she was back home for 24 hours. The extra set was to switch out after she took a shower so that it would be dry on her wrist. She literally wore them all the time.

I haven't been seasick ... but have taken meclizine (over the counter motion sickness med) a couple of times. It makes you drowsy, but take it at night before you go to bed. I always carry the bio-bands with us too just in case. They are the one item you can put on after the symptoms occur.

http://www.biobands.com/

Only adjustable band I've seen (there may be others), comes in different colors AND available for adults and children (different sizes).

The best really varies by person.

For some (me) Bonine works great and another option is Dramamine. The key is to take them before you feel sick. For some people they get drowsy.

Other used Ginger Capsules or ginger.

Some get a prescription for the patch. Downside is that it is more costly and also some side effects such as dry mouth.

Some use the sea bands but even the manufacturer says they only work for some people.

You may want to check with your Physician's office first. If you go with something like Bonine or something similar to that, test it out way before the cruise so that you can get a sense to whether you get an side effects from it use.

Keith

We have been on well over 110 cruises -- stopped counting a couple of years ago.

And we have never been sea sick -- and we don;t wear bans, don't eat ginger, don't take any medications.

And we have been on some mighty rough seas.

You would be best to check with your doctor to determine what you should take.

We have sailed with people who got sea sick -- they were told not to eat any greasy foods, eat toast or green apples, drink tea or ginger ale.

We prepped for our Alaska trip (which included several waterborne excursions as well as the cruise itself) by taking Bonine every day, starting the day before we left. This served us well on our first tour of the Kenai Fjords on a fairly small (~100 pax) powered catamaran. The seas had 6-8 foot swells and the boat was pitching pretty well. When I felt a little uneasy stomach coming on, we broke out our Sea Bands and our ginger candy. Felt fine after that. Not so for the poor guy at the next table, he had his face stuck in a barf bag for the entire trip.

So I think a combination of an OTC motion sickness med and some of the other palliatives when needed worked well for us.

YMMV

I do the ear patch, change it every fourth day, wouldn't get on a boat without it. I get motion sickness even from a swing set, or watching someone rock in a rocking chair, thats how bad I am. But with the patch no problem. We hit the tail end of a typhoon out of Vietnam and I was fine. The boat was rocking so bad they canceled all the shows for the evening and the captain kept announcing to hang onto the rails. They closed the outside decks for safety, it was a bad one, but I was ok. My husband who never gets sick, sure was feeling it that time:)

is bonine over the counter?

http://nervous-system.emedtv.com/bonine/over-the-counter-bonine.html

Available over the counter, Bonine® (meclizine hydrochloride) is an antihistamine medication that is approved for treating and preventing motion sickness. Specifically, it is used to help limit symptoms of motion sickness, such as dizziness, nausea, and vomiting.

I have purchased the OTC Meclizine ... it is the Walgreen's brand for Motion Sickness.

I use the psychologically suggestive Sea-Bands and ginger... I cannot take any of the medications either prescription or OTC.

I always have a little something to eat as well.

I did finally find my sea-legs after one particularly rough cruise. It has been way better since then.:)

Archived