Zaandam 14 day Hawaii in January ???'s

SailorMom37

This will be our first HAL cruise :) We are very excited, to say the least.

First - how can I determine the number of formal nights? Not too concerned as to when they will fall, but I want to have an idea for packing. We like to really dress up on those nights - my DH looks outstanding in his mess dress (I'm a bit biased..... but hey :p )

Second - The weather on the Pacific that time of the year. I'm comfortable with what to pack for Hawaii, but not sure about "in transit". I'm sure there is a huge variation, but I'd love to hear what you all think we should expect. I have "the patch" for the waves already :)

Thanks!

...First - how can I determine the number of formal nights? Not too concerned as to when they will fall, but I want to have an idea for packing. We like to really dress up on those nights - my DH looks outstanding in his mess dress (I'm a bit biased..... but hey :p )

Second - The weather on the Pacific that time of the year. I'm comfortable with what to pack for Hawaii, but not sure about "in transit". I'm sure there is a huge variation, but I'd love to hear what you all think we should expect. <SNIP!>

If I remember correctly there were 3 formal nights on our January Hawaii cruise... but we're doing it again in November so can tell you for sure after we get back December 3rd. ;)

I'd echo what Himself said about the first day out/in of San Diego. It can be a bit rocky!

Probably a good (REALLY GOOD) windbreaker will come in handy, especially if we do the evening pass of the lava flow. Best views are from outside and it is VERY windy! Hmmm. Maybe a sweater under that windbreaker too.

The weather in Jan will be 72 low 86 high, chance of afternoon or evening showers ( like 10 to 15 min) Weather on the east side of all Islands will be warm and breezy and wetter. Weather on the west sides warm and dry. You will be in this window of weather below about29N degrees .

( Kona is at 19.5 degrees N)

Weather varies here about 6 degrees from summer to winter, we have no fall or spring.

What some call rough is the feeling of slight motion..its not a pitch and yaw thing, seldom does it exceed 2 or 3 degrees of motion. I like it as it feels like a ship ! Done the trip in ships and boats from 42 ft to 980 ft

The Pacific means tranquil and it is.

Archived