Rules for Participation...

gimletgal

The forum for questions - Q & A with Michael Bayley - has rules posted. In reading many of the posts, I find one rule being totally ignored:

Rules for Participation

- Use the "NEW THREAD" button for your question.

- No discussion/comments in response to other members' questions.

I guess people just cannot control themselves when they have differing opinions from the person posting the original question/comment? :eek:

The forum for questions - Q & A with Michael Bayley - has rules posted. In reading many of the posts, I find one rule being totally ignored:

Rules for Participation

I guess people just cannot control themselves when they have differing opinions from the person posting the original question/comment? :eek:

I found this interesting as well, and wondered why it was allowed to continue that way for so long. Sounds like it was not necessarily the best method to get what they needed IMHO

Rules for Participation

If a person has the same question, or is in agreement with a poster's question, it would make sense to allow that person to add their comment instead of posting another identical question. For those questions that many people agree with, allowing people to add their posting to that question provides a sense of how important that question is to the general population on this forum. If I see one with a dozen postings, I would think that is was important than a question with only the original poster's question. If I were Mr. Bayley, I would answer that one first.

If a person has the same question, or is in agreement with a poster's question, it would make sense to allow that person to add their comment instead of posting another identical question. For those questions that many people agree with, allowing people to add their posting to that question provides a sense of how important that question is to the general population on this forum. If I see one with a dozen postings, I would think that is was important than a question with only the original poster's question. If I were Mr. Bayley, I would answer that one first.

Hey, I didn't make the rules! :)

As for the above comment, what the dozen postings tell me is that there are a dozen opinions. Doesn't make the question any more important than any others.

I think it might have been cleaner to have a "submit a question" option, but it shouldn't have been in an open forum, for just this reason. He and the web team should have been the only ones with access to it to answer the questions. Then they could have had the questions listed, and when he answered, it would be done.

• Administrators

Hello everyone:

I'll be happy to explain our thought process with regard to the Participation Rules regarding Mr. Bayley's Q&A:

- First, there isn't a set of rules that would please everyone. Let's get that out of the way.

- We are definitely merging like and similar questions/comments. We are ok with people replying to an existing question with a "me too" type posting. We think this is important, as it clearly shows Mr. Bayley and staff how important an individual issue may be to our members.

- Yes, this is a great deal of work for us. We're happy to do it.

- This is a great deal of work for Mr. Bayley; I hope he'll return again in the future.

- We are deleting "discussion" or opposing opinions in threads. Members are encouraged to create their own question/comment thread if they feel differently about an issue. Other members may chime in at that point.

- We are MOVING questions/comments (or deleting) to the main Celebrity forum if, in our sole discretion, those questions are "inflammatory, too personal, customer service issues that focus on an individual's cruise". Remember our Community Guidelines are in place. Let's put our best foot forward.

- We are all being given the opportunity to virtually speak to the President & CEO of a major cruise line, so our questions should be selected and phrased accordingly.

As info, the forum will be closed to new questions on Sunday in anticipation of Mr. Bayley's arrival on Monday.

Laura

Hey, I didn't make the rules! :)

As for the above comment, what the dozen postings tell me is that there are a dozen opinions. Doesn't make the question any more important than any others.

Sorry, but a dozen posting doesn't imply a dozen opinions. Instead, it could very well be twelve people with the same question (or, as you call it, "opinion"), eleven of them sounding in that they would also like that question to be answered. If I were to answer a hundred questions, and one of them had dozens of people agreeing that they have the same question, I would easily surmise that more people are wondering about that topic than any other.

The same process applies to "best of" ratings. The subjects in the top ratings have the interest of more people than the subjects in the bottom ratings. How else would one to know what most people are interested in?

As LauraS, our moderator, has said: "We are definitely merging like and similar questions/comments. We are ok with people replying to an existing question with a "me too" type posting. We think this is important, as it clearly shows Mr. Bayley and staff how important an individual issue may be to our members."

Hello everyone:

I'll be happy to explain our thought process with regard to the Participation Rules regarding Mr. Bayley's Q&A:

- First, there isn't a set of rules that would please everyone. Let's get that out of the way.

- We are definitely merging like and similar questions/comments. We are ok with people replying to an existing question with a "me too" type posting. We think this is important, as it clearly shows Mr. Bayley and staff how important an individual issue may be to our members.

- Yes, this is a great deal of work for us. We're happy to do it.

- This is a great deal of work for Mr. Bayley; I hope he'll return again in the future.

- We are deleting "discussion" or opposing opinions in threads. Members are encouraged to create their own question/comment thread if they feel differently about an issue. Other members may chime in at that point.

- We are MOVING questions/comments (or deleting) to the main Celebrity forum if, in our sole discretion, those questions are "inflammatory, too personal, customer service issues that focus on an individual's cruise". Remember our Community Guidelines are in place. Let's put our best foot forward.

- We are all being given the opportunity to virtually speak to the President & CEO of a major cruise line, so our questions should be selected and phrased accordingly.

As info, the forum will be closed to new questions on Sunday in anticipation of Mr. Bayley's arrival on Monday.

Laura

The quintessential example/representation of an uncaring, :) evil, faceless, greedy CORPORATION,:cool: oblivious to the concerns of their customers, ;) focused SOLELY on an unending quest for higher profits...:eek:

OCCUPY CELEBRITY... OCCUPY CELEBRITY... :p (ESPECIALLY the AQ cabins!):D

Archived