Deck Chairs on Amsterdam's Lower Promenade Deck

TheNit

I'm sure this is buried somewhere in this forum but it was taking too long to parse out the Lanai room assigned chairs from the non-Lanai ships so I though I would come right out and ask...

Are there deck chairs (loungers) available on the Lower Promenade Deck of the Amsterdam and are any reserved or are they all available?

How likely is it that you would get a pair after 9:00 am? Are there enough?

We have been cruising lately on Oceania and Azamara lately and they have great seating on their promenade decks but now we are looking at a Panama Canal cruise on the Amsterdam and are wondering if the favourite part of our cruises, sitting in a quiet spot on the deck and either watching/hearing the ocean go by or reading a book in the shade, can be done on the Lower Promenade Deck of the Amsterdam.

Haven't been on Amsterdam yet, but on Veendam, before they put in the lanai cabins, we had an outside on the Lower Promenade for our Alaska cruise, and loved it. Whenever there was something to see (which was often, in Alaska), we could get outside for a great view right away, and move around for the best viewing and camera angles. Plus, it was sheltered, and almost never crowded. And we never had a problem with noise or privacy.

We've booked another outside on that deck on Amsterdam for our upcoming Panama Canal transit. Having your own veranda is great, but if that's not in your budget, I recommend booking a cabin on the Lower Promenade - it's great for easy access to what some have termed the biggest veranda on the ship!

Having your own veranda is great, but if that's not in your budget, I recommend booking a cabin on the Lower Promenade - it's great for easy access to what some have termed the biggest veranda on the ship!

I can second this statement. I did the 2010 Asia/Australia Grand Voyage on the Amsterdam with a cabin on the LP forward (3310). Absolutely loved it - just steps to the outside deck, quiet (it's not on the way to anything). Wasn't bothered by any noise from the Queen's Lounge directly above. Many things are right up the stairs in the atrium.

Also, on the LP, it is really easy to go from one side of the ship to the other, either by walking around or going through the atrium.

Never had a problem finding a lounge chair on the deck. One thing, though - on all the HAL ships I've been on, they tend to take up the cushions way too early in the evening (5-6pm). Doesn't seem to be much chance of that changing, so I have resorted to keeping a cushion in my cabin for when I want to sit out there in the evening.

Thank goodness Amsterdam does not have the Lanai rooms! There is always chairs available on Amsterdam .. even on the World Cruises.

I was saddened to see the Lanai rooms on Maasdam on our last trip. It basically fools folks into thinking that the area in front of their room is off limits ... we even have seen some block the promenade deck by moving their chairs out to the railing.

We will be on that lovely ship in a week or so, but I am not looking forward to our daily walks on the promenade deck because of the honky tonk look of those rooms sorry to say.

harry

We were on the Amsterdam Aug. 24 to Sept. 7 and we had one of those cabins. #3328. It was great.

At first I worried a bit as I could look outside very, very clearly but when I went outside to look in, even with the light on, could see nothing at all.

My husband took a picture of me in front of the cabin on a deckchair and the picture is hilarious. I am in the lounger in front of the cabin and also on the picture is the mirror reflection with him in it taking the picture.

Very, very close to the exit. Wonderful location. One side was the CD office, the other a cabin and then the door to the Lower Promenade deck.

surfsidemary,

I never thought about taking a cushion and keeping it in my cabin for evening use!

TheNit,

As others have said, plenty of chairs and if you do happen to be using one when the Deck Steward is collecting the cushions in late afternoon, don't feel that you have to get up and let him have the cushion right then. He will come back and get it when you are finished with your chair.

Archived