Behind The Scenes Tour Questions

M-E-K

We will be on the WB TA QM2 in November, wondering about the behind the scenes tour. My two teenage sons (ages 15 and 17) would love to see the engine room and things like that, especially if they could ask questions about what they see.

- Has anyone taken this tour lately?

- Is it the same price for all ages, or do they discount for the young ones?

- What, exactly, would they show?

- Can I use my $150 on-board-credit to pay for it?

- Is it a limited number of tours given per voyage?

Hi M-E-K

I have not been on the tour but I have seen a thread on cc of someone that has - have not yet found it.

The one thing that sticks in my mind was that it said you visit the engine control room. NB - "CONTROL ROOM", so be wary of being disapointed.

If it the voyage departing on the 20th Nov - see you on board.

Check out

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1447195

I don't think any tour goes to the engine room. We did the behind the scenes tour on Zuiderdam, and we saw the engine control room.

Security and safety/insurance issues being what they are, I doubt anyone gets a tour of the engine room. We did get a tour of the engine room on HAL's previous Statendam. Hot, noisy, and scary. Also fascinating. At one point, we were walking along a little catwalk, and right next to us was the propeller shaft. One slip, and you'd be flatter than Gumby! :eek:

I don't think any tour goes to the engine room. We did the behind the scenes tour on Zuiderdam, and we saw the engine control room.

Security and safety/insurance issues being what they are, I doubt anyone gets a tour of the engine room. We did get a tour of the engine room on HAL's previous Statendam. Hot, noisy, and scary. Also fascinating. At one point, we were walking along a little catwalk, and right next to us was the propeller shaft. One slip, and you'd be flatter than Gumby! :eek:

3rd Gen, thanks for prompting memories of my tour of the engine spaces of QE2 in 1969. Exactly right about hot, noisy, scary and, with the steam turbines, very high pitch turbine noise as opposed to the deeper rumble of diesel power plants. We were also taken down "shaft alley" and it is very impressive to see the giant shaft spinning much faster than you would expect. We could even touch the spinning shaft.:eek: Why is it that no one hid behind the insurance/litigation thing back then. Were we supposed to think and take care of our selves?? Security is a valid concern with current world conditions though. I feel very fortunate to have done this as by around 1972 and the IRA bomb threats the engine space tour was no longer available.

Hi M-E-K,

The behind the scenes tour on QV takes you to the Bridge, Galley, Backstage of the Theatre, Main Fire locker, Engine Control Room (not the engine room), Print Shop, Garbage Room and the Bakery.

Hope this helps.

Thank you all for your responses. I think we may skip it, the boys would only be interested in the really hard core type engine stuff. Actually good news for me because now I can use my on-board-credit for a spa treatment at Canyon Ranch like I originally planned. Some things were just meant to be I guess :)

I've written about it on another thread but we did the behind the scene tour on QV in August. (Med gems) I absolutely loved it and it was worth every penny. It is true that you don't get to see the actual engines but the control room was fascinating. The senior officers took us round their respective areas and talked with such passion about their departments. Theatre, hospital, food stores, fridges, food prep areas, galleys, photocopying room(!!), photo lab, the bridge. It was an amazing 4 hrs which I will remember forever.

On a slightly different note - at the photo lab we asked about what happens to 'un bought' photos go. They are sent away, dipped in acid and destroyed. I asked if this was not a waste of resources to which I got no reply!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hello M-E-K

I thought you may be interested in the following as you are not doing the Behind-the-Scenes tour.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgU1Y83klgI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_PQH_XdB0U&feature=relmfu

Although this looks rough (and it was) the Queen Mary 2 handles this weather really well and you can't be on a better ship (liner) to experience this sort of weather. The captain on this crossing described the weather as boisterous.

On the other extreme, I have been on another November Transatlantic on QM2 and people have got sun burn because the weather was so sunny (yes it was November in the middle of the Atlantic).

Counting down the days.

Thank you all for your responses. I think we may skip it,/QUOTE]

I think in many cases most everyone skips it and it is cancelled for lack of interest. This must be the worst value tour afloat (probably the only tour afloat)

David.

Thank you all for your responses. I think we may skip it,/QUOTE]

I think in many cases most everyone skips it and it is cancelled for lack of interest. This must be the worst value tour afloat (probably the only tour afloat)

David.

We did this and felt it was the best money we have ever spent on a tour - absolutely fascinating!

cruiseluvva, you say "it was the best money we have ever spent on a tour".

Could you explain what was so great about it? And what the justification is for taking $120 for something that used to be for free in many cases?

I guess I understand the arguments of those who think it is not worth the money but would also like to understand the pro-arguments to make an informed decision.

cruiseluvva, you say "it was the best money we have ever spent on a tour".

Could you explain what was so great about it? And what the justification is for taking $120 for something that used to be for free in many cases?

I guess I understand the arguments of those who think it is not worth the money but would also like to understand the pro-arguments to make an informed decision.

Well, it's slightly difficult to say exactly why it was so good, in a way it was just like a shore excursion. On those you see a place and/ or gain information about a place, learn how it works etc and the ship's tour was much the same. Seeing and learning how the ship runs so efficiently, was very interesting and informative.

My husband is a Dr and I am a nurse, so seeing all around the Medical centre in detail was especially interesting to us, but the department we found most fascinating was the laundry. That made us REALLY appreciate the work the crew members have to endure and certainly confirmed our belief that they desrve every penny we tip them - and then some!

We did a similar tour on a HAL ship and thought it was worth the cost. I think of it as a shore excursion at sea.

Whether you will enjoy it depends on your interests. We love to find out how things work and see behind the scenes. We belong to Society for Industrial Archaeology, and through their meetings and tours, we've been to lots of places that most people don't see--power plants, factories (everything from guns to pianos to anchor chains to caskets to textiles), railroad/transit maintenance facilities. Some of my friends think it's strange that I get excited about seeing how rag paper is made, but I think that kind of thing is fascinating.

If you aren't interested in how they get your clothes and towels clean or how they sort the recycling or where they store the food, then you wouldn't want to take a tour like this. I'm sorry if that sentence sounded snarky. It isn't intended that way. Some people are excited about seeing a laundry down below the water line and some aren't. Some people think the price of the tour is money well spent, and some think it's a total waste of $120.

The depth and detail of our visit far surpassed our expectations. We had more than 4 hours of in depth info & detail. I can't imagine that such a trip would have ever been free - we had drinks and taster cakes in the galley followed by champagne and canapés at the end. We even got a free Cunard apron! Every senior member of staff took us round their department and the captain joined us on the bridge as well as for canapés.

We loved it!

The depth and detail of our visit far surpassed our expectations. We had more than 4 hours of in depth info & detail. I can't imagine that such a trip would have ever been free - we had drinks and taster cakes in the galley followed by champagne and canapés at the end. We even got a free Cunard apron! Every senior member of staff took us round their department and the captain joined us on the bridge as well as for canapés.

We loved it!

Sounds like a great way to spend part of a day. And yes, you saw more and received extras that, at least in my travels, were not on the free tours of the past. I believe I will do it next time out if still available.

Archived