LIVE from the Vision of the Seas Sailing 5 Oct 2012

Trainman - What kind of camera are you using? I'm enjoying your posts so much!!! Boarding the Allure in May!

I am using a Cannon PowerShot ELPH110HS

I have only had it for about two weeks and am still learning everything that it can do. It is the size of a pack of Cigarettes but only half as thick. "Pocket Size!"

Trainman on RCI Food…

While I was posting from the Pool Deck this morning I got into a conversation with several other cruisers.

Their comments were that the food is not as good as it used to be and that the food on this cruise was not good.

Every night, before we all leave the MDR, I poll my table mates on how they liked the meals. With the exception of Wednesday night we have all agreed the food was good!

A while back some guy posted on CC that all of the food on an RCI Ship was inedible! I have to smile and wonder how he avoided starving over the length of the seven night cruise with nothing on the ship that could be eaten. He must have pigged out ashore at every port!

I don’t expect five star meals in the Windjammer and the MDR. If I really wanted them, there are other, more expensive cruises available to me.

The other night I had the Parmesan Encrusted Turkey for dinner. I didn’t like it! But that was my personal taste. As far as I could determine, the meal was properly cooked and the turkey was tender with a crisp crust on it.

It is unrealistic to demand that we be fed exactly what we want every meal of every day when on a cruise. The only way to get that is to stay home and cook what you want for yourself. Or maybe hire a personal chef to cook exactly what you want.

Food quality and taste, like smoking on board, is a discussion that will never be resolved on CC.

Bear with me folks. I will call them as I, and my table mates, see them.

Trainman on RCI Food…

While I was posting from the Pool Deck this morning I got into a conversation with several other cruisers.

Their comments were that the food is not as good as it used to be and that the food on this cruise was not good.

Every night, before we all leave the MDR, I poll my table mates on how they liked the meals. With the exception of Wednesday night we have all agreed the food was good!

A while back some guy posted on CC that all of the food on an RCI Ship was inedible! I have to smile and wonder how he avoided starving over the length of the seven night cruise with nothing on the ship that could be eaten. He must have pigged out ashore at every port!

I don’t expect five star meals in the Windjammer and the MDR. If I really wanted them, there are other, more expensive cruises available to me.

The other night I had the Parmesan Encrusted Turkey for dinner. I didn’t like it! But that was my personal taste. As far as I could determine, the meal was properly cooked and the turkey was tender with a crisp crust on it.

It is unrealistic to demand that we be fed exactly what we want every meal of every day when on a cruise. The only way to get that is to stay home and cook what you want for yourself. Or maybe hire a personal chef to cook exactly what you want.

Food quality and taste, like smoking on board, is a discussion that will never be resolved on CC.

We need to have a "like" button!

Trainman on RCI Food…

Well said.

Trainman on RCI Food…

AMEN to that !!! and Thank you for the wonderful "LIVE" :D:D

By all means....take Judith her coffee!!

Actually, my husband does the same for me every morning on a cruise.

Another question for you.

One of the main reasons I chose this ship was that I was looking for a true outside promenade deck with deck chairs. That info is not easy to get, but from what I could tell, the Vision has it. Can you confirm?

Thanks..........Jerri

I just got off a two week cruise on the Celebrity Summit and I didn't like the food in their buffet. Was good in the MDR, but not to my liking in the buffet. I prefer RCCL for the buffet. Just my opinion.

I totally agree with u we were on the centery last Oct to Hawaii and we were not pleased with the sushi bar. or the buffet but the food in the MDR was great

Lou

Trainman on RCI Food…

This is one of the best, and most reasonable, posts I have ever read on Cruise Critic. It reflects my feelings exactly, but in a more eloquent way that I could have written it!

Food is always subjective. We all have our individual likes/dislikes. I'm reading the new menus thinking if my Feb cruise and while I know that I won't go hungry I am missing some of the old "favorites" & thinking that I will be ordering from the alternatives most nights so it looks like my options will be more limited under the new menu & that is a disappointment.

Another question for you.

One of the main reasons I chose this ship was that I was looking for a true outside promenade deck with deck chairs. That info is not easy to get, but from what I could tell, the Vision has it. Can you confirm?

Thanks..........Jerri

The easy answer is YES!

We were down on Deck 5 last night for a quick smoke before dinner. Starboard is smoking and Port is non-smoking. Most of the lounge chairs tend to be in the forward end of the ship.