Egypt cancelled

helpme

I'm wondering what may happen to our cruise for the 10th Nov just keeping my fingers crossed where would they divert us or would it be sea days

helpme...I am on your cruise as well on the Odyssey embarking in Venice on Oct 20th and Seabourn has not made a decision about Egypt nor will they until we are within 48 hours of arrival to an Egyptian port. This is what happened to us last year on another Seabourn ship that was calling on Alexandria and we were notified the day prior in our Suites that the Captain and Head Office took the decision to cancel. In this case, IMO I don't believ our itinerary will be affected since we are only calling on Hurghada (quite safe) and Safaga (again quite safe and without any rioting). If I hear anything I will post back here

We are on the Pride with the same stops in Egypt. Unless something changes dramatically, I cannot imagine why Seabourn would cancel the ports. I have not heard of any incident that has affected any tourist in those ports.

XChiefPurser - When you were last on Seabourn, scheduled to stop in Egypt, was Alexandria the port? Where did you go instead? We are on the Quest, 3 November out of Athens with a scheulded stop on 11 November in Alexandria. We have a sea-day the day before (from Israel) and two sea-days right after (going to Malta). Do you think Seabourn would have FOUR sea days in a row (in the Med?!?) or would they re-route to Crete for a day? You seem to be familiar with the workings of Seabourn, I would appreciate even a wild guess... thanks.

Jen

XChiefPurser - When you were last on Seabourn' date=' scheduled to stop in Egypt, was Alexandria the port? Where did you go instead? We are on the Quest, 3 November out of Athens with a scheulded stop on 11 November in Alexandria. We have a sea-day the day before (from Israel) and two sea-days right after (going to Malta). Do you think Seabourn would have FOUR sea days in a row (in the Med?!?) or would they re-route to Crete for a day? You seem to be familiar with the workings of Seabourn, I would appreciate even a wild guess... thanks.

Jen[/quote']

In our case on the Legend last year, we couldn't go anywhere else, not to Port Said or Alexandria and also because we were scheduled to transit the Suez Canal a day later with a convoy of ships we had 1 extra day going at less than 8 knots per hour at sea (another sea day). They might alter your itinerary in advance with a diversion to either Chania, Crete or perhaps Limossol, Cyprus or they could plan for an extra port in Sorrento, Sicily or overnight in Valetta, Malta. Remeber this is just my ventured guess as to what Seabourn will do in your case.

I was on the same Legend cruise last year, correct me if I am wrong, but I believe they added Rhodes to make up for the lost port. As I recall,wasn't on the original itinerary.

Hmmm, I believe you are correct; I remember our first port after Athens was Nicolas Agios and then you are right I believe that we added Rhodes as a last minute change with early sail at 4:00pm from Rhodes that day and then we limped across the Med towards the Suez Canal. I also remember how great it was that we were only 118 paxs on that cruise....felt like our own private yatch!

Yes, the first part of that cruise was fantastic....was like our private yacht. Everyone really interacted and was a great mixture of people....just remember the second half with less than fond memories due to passenger mix. The 30 of us who were on the second half were met with an entirely different passenger mixture. Have fun this year. We are off to the Amazon on SS. Next Xmas Seabourn - Bali to Sydney.

Yes, the first part of that cruise was fantastic....was like our private yacht. Everyone really interacted and was a great mixture of people....just remember the second half with less than fond memories due to passenger mix. The 30 of us who were on the second half were met with an entirely different passenger mixture. Have fun this year. We are off to the Amazon on SS. Next Xmas Seabourn - Bali to Sydney.

I will, you as well on SS up the Amazon...BTW, I am continuing on the Odyssey and doing the Benoa-Sydney portion that you will be doing next year.

Did anyone read about Egypt being cancelled on the NCL site for December wonder if this will change our plans on the Odyssey for November

we were in Egypt 4 days ago on the Quest. Not that we got off, but we did go there, I heard nothing the whole cruise about Seabourn changing itineraries and it seemed very much business as usual.

we were in Egypt 4 days ago on the Quest. Not that we got off, but we did go there, I heard nothing the whole cruise about Seabourn changing itineraries and it seemed very much business as usual.

This is good news for all of us on the Odyssey Nov 10th transiting the Suez and calling on Safaga and Hurghada.

XCP,

We will be aboard with you 10/20 till 11/28. We will be in cabins 601 and 520 (with my wife and sister-in-law).

This is our first SB cruise after 4 or 5 Regent cruises. We are anxious to have the SB experience although our Regent experience was great.

Look forward to meeting you.

Jody

This is good news for all of us on the Odyssey Nov 10th transiting the Suez and calling on Safaga and Hurghada.

i talked to Seabourn and there are no plans to cancel either. Also, spoke to the state dept and it said "no problem" outside of Cairo

i talked to Seabourn and there are no plans to cancel either. Also, spoke to the state dept and it said "no problem" outside of Cairo

That's the problem, unfortunetaly Seabourn as with Princess and any other Carnival Brands follows the State Department warnings whether correct or not. It really becomes an Insurance matter more than anything, Seabourn can't say anything at this point until several days out when the have to let their actuaries (Insurer) know what additional risks there are to the voyage. Once that is established with the Corporate Security Department and Fleet Marine Department then and only then is a decision taken. The Insurance companies usuallly levy a very high insurance premium or won't cover them period at all which then forces their hand not to go to a certain port.

Archived