Queen Mary 2 - Planetarium - Out of Order ?

Cunard Rules

As an astronomer I found the planetarium fascinating but they do need new programmes (when it works again). Probably the best use of it is when the RAS are onboard and use it to illustrate the night sky. I have helped to run the Stargazing nights on the QM2 and was amazed at how many people stayed up to take part.

As a former merchant mariner trained in celestial navigation, standing on deck stargazing at real stars makes sense to me. In an auditorium "gazing" at video representations, not so much.:eek:

As a former merchant mariner trained in celestial navigation, standing on deck stargazing at real stars makes sense to me. In an auditorium "gazing" at video representations, not so much.:eek:

I agree but given the fact that it is rather hard to see stars etc during daylight and the weather is not always kind, the planetarium comes in very handy. We have a planetarium at our Observatory and use it extensively for educational purposes. It is not only the video shows with Tom Hanks etc that are used on the QM2. The Royal Astronomical Society use it very differently and more in keeping to what I am used to. It is a great asset.

We were, too. It was a special memory from our first Queen Mary2 crossing. It is a shame that it hasn't been kept in good working order. :(

I agree! We loved it when we first sailed on QM2 in 2005.

They still advertise it as the "only planetarium at sea". They can hardly boast about that, if it's never working....false advertising, no?:confused:

As an astronomer I found the planetarium fascinating but they do need new programmes (when it works again). Probably the best use of it is when the RAS are onboard and use it to illustrate the night sky. I have helped to run the Stargazing nights on the QM2 and was amazed at how many people stayed up to take part.

Would have loved that stargazing opportunity! We went from UK to US on the April 27 sailing and HOPED to be able to get a fantastic look at the stars while at sea. Alas, the weather never co-operated. The planetarium WAS working on that trip . . . but it was no substitute for the real thing. Maybe next time (!!) the nights will be clear.

Would have loved that stargazing opportunity! We went from UK to US on the April 27 sailing and HOPED to be able to get a fantastic look at the stars while at sea. Alas, the weather never co-operated. The planetarium WAS working on that trip . . . but it was no substitute for the real thing. Maybe next time (!!) the nights will be clear.

Yes, there is nothing like pollution free dark skies. The Royal Astronomical Society is often on board the QM2 and the lectures are excellent. Our stargazing nights in the South China Sea and Indian Ocean were fantastic. The ship also has it's own telescopes on board.

"The ship also has it's own telescopes on board"

Really? Where would we find them on board? My sons would love that sort of thing! Is there any end to amenities available? I continue to be amazed by all of the things I read about this ship and all of it's services! Simply can not wait to immerse myself in all of it's glory :D

"The ship also has it's own telescopes on board"

Really? Where would we find them on board? My sons would love that sort of thing! Is there any end to amenities available? I continue to be amazed by all of the things I read about this ship and all of it's services! Simply can not wait to immerse myself in all of it's glory :D

The scopes are 10" dobsonian reflectors and are usually used under supervision of the RAS lecturers on board. I'm not sure if they are available for the use of passengers on their own.

No they are not. There is a cruise director who was or is on Oriana, Leon De Ste Croix. Some name but very knowledgeable about astronomy. I remember a wonderful night in the Caribean when I saw the Milky Way for the first time since childhood aboard Oriana. No clhance of that in our neck of the woods unfortunatly,

David.

that is not all that was out of order.

Welcome to the Cunard board :) .

Would you care to expand a little on your post? I have friends on board at the moment who may be able to comment/provide up-to-date information on any issues. Thank you. :) .

However, if the advertise it as one of the entertainment options on board it is their responsibility to keep it in working order. Many parents might book the QM2 solely for that experience for the kids.

I agree.

To use the rock climbing wall analogy, people would be well hacked off if RCL got rid of these but did not let future cruises know.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi mallorcasaint,

Do you know if the RAS give lectures on the other ships in the Cunard fleet please?

I see you might come from Exeter, my wife belongs to the Torbay Amateur Astronomical Society, close??

Regards,

John from the English Riviera

Hi mallorcasaint,

Do you know if the RAS give lectures on the other ships in the Cunard fleet please?

I see you might come from Exeter, my wife belongs to the Torbay Amateur Astronomical Society, close??

Regards,

John from the English Riviera

Yes indeed GloJo. The RAS provide guest speakers on all Cunard ships but the QM2 is the only one with a Planetarium.

I am a member of the Norman Lockyer Observatory which is in Sidmouth so not too far away! :)

The dome may be safe, but some of the seats aren't. Back in Feb, they were putting safety tape across the seats that reclined without warning if you leaned back the tiniest bit. I would have thought they'd have fixed that by now.

We experienced the same in April. Many broken seats, even some who were not taped didnt work properly. Seems the reclining mechanism is too weak to stand more than just few years. I complained about it, asked them why it wasnt fixed during last winters overhaul but, not surprisingly, didnt get a serious answer. Just that its going "to be fixed rather soon", or during the next winter refit. I guess they have to replace all seats and build in new ones which are (much) stronger. Thats certainly a bit more difficult than just changing carpets and liekly not something that can be done during the season.

Could this planetarium be described as a major feature of that specific ship? i know great mileage is made about this being the 'only' cruise ship that offers this feature and if I booked a cruise on that ship then the only reason would be this brilliant feature and hopefully the experts that will be on the ship to gives lectures and make the most of this topic.

Did Cunard offer any type of rebate for cruises where the planetarium was out of commission? (I hate the term compensation)

@GloJo While the RAS provide speakers, they are only on specific voyages and legs of the World Cruise. I know that the RAS are looking for volunteer lecturers at the moment. The Planetarium is a great feature but I would not say it is THE major feature. There are only about 6 different planetarium shows which are used and they are narrated by celebrities such as Tom Hanks. They are quite impressive but once you have seen them all that is it (Although I have seen them all about 12 times!). Shows are run in the mornings and afternoons and usually you need to be up early to grab tickets from Connexions. Sometimes RAS speakers will use the Planetarium to show the night sky and they have a specifically designed programme for that. They will also have Stargazing nights on deck 13 but only when RAS personnel are supervising.

BTW the Planetarium on board is the same type as the one in the American Museum of Natural History in New York.

The Planetarium is a great feature but I would not say it is THE major feature..

Totally 100% agree and hopefully I never suggested it was THE major feature but for me personally it would be an influencing feature that would be a major consideration and I use the term advisedly

Could this planetarium be described as a major feature of that specific ship?

While the RAS provide speakers, they are only on specific voyages and legs of the World Cruise. I know that the RAS are looking for volunteer lecturers at the moment
The frustrating thing is the Queen Mary is on her World Cruise at the exact same time as the Queen Elizabeth and would it be asking too much to expect the society to supply speakers for both ships during the same period? Certainly a nice holiday break for the lucky person... Perhaps I should volunteer my wife!! :o:D:D

BTW the Planetarium on board is the same type as the one in the American Museum of Natural History in New York.
Thank you for that and how interesting. We have our own observatory where my wife spends many an hour :)

Archived