Silversea or Seabourne for the Baltics

JPH814

My wife and I are looking at a high end cruise to the Baltics in July of 2013. We are considering either Silversea or Seabourne. I would be interested in hearing comments from those who have sailed either one of these (or both) in the Baltic.

• 2 weeks later...
My wife and I are looking at a high end cruise to the Baltics in July of 2013. We are considering either Silversea or Seabourne. I would be interested in hearing comments from those who have sailed either one of these (or both) in the Baltic.

As you can see below, we did Silversea from Copenhagen along the Norway coast, plus Seabourn in the Greek Isles and Turkish coast. When we did the Baltics, we used Crystal. All three are excellent lines with great staff and service. Much might depend with Silversea versus Seabourn on which size of ship you would use and the specific ports that each cruise trip would visit. Both Silversea and Seabourn have smaller and more medium types of ships from which to choose. There are some pro/con factors to consider on the size/age of these ships.

The great news is that in most cases both lines (plus as we had with Crystal) offer three days in St. Petersburg. Many other lines only do two days there in that great, charming city. That added timing allows more of an opportunity, potentially, to do one of the three days by going to and back for seeing Moscow, plus the time with private tours in St. Petersburg.

Tell us more on your past Europe travel experiences and your personal style/needs, etc. Then, with more detailed and specific information from you, we can make better, more specific suggestions on what best fits your needs and interests. Below are a few of my Baltics previous visuals to get you excited about this great part of the world.

Reactions and questions??

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 85,084 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Here are some of the fountains and water at the spectacular Peterhof outside of St. Petersburg. The greatest technological achievement of Peterhof is that all of the fountains operate without the use of pumps. Water is supplied from natural springs and collects in reservoirs in the Upper Gardens. This elevation difference creates the pressure driving most of the fountains for the Lower Gardens, including the Grand Cascade.: : [/b]

1A-StP-PeterhofFount2.jpg

As we entered Catherine's Palace in St. Petersburg, here was the welcoming band. This Rococo summer residence of the Russian Czars is located in the town of Pushkin, 15 miles SE of St. Petersburg. The residence originated in 1717, when Catherine I engaged a German architect to construct a summer palace for her pleasure. In 1752, Empress Anna found her mother's residence outdated and had her court architect demolish the old structure and replace it with a much grander edifice in a flamboyant Rococo style. Construction lasted for four years and in 1756 the new 325-meter-long palace amazed courtiers, foreign ambassadors and other visitors. During Elizabeth's lifetime, the palace was famed for its lavish exterior, including more than 100 kilograms of gold used to gild the sophisticated stucco façade and numerous statues erected on the roof.:

1A-StP-WelcomeCath.jpg

At St. Petersburg’s Hermitage, here is just one of the many, many great galleries with so many different and great architecture details, soaring ceilings, dramatic floors, etc., in areas where the Czars entertained and impressed other Royals and nobility. Even without the art items, these five palaces are so spectacular! This room is adorned with 19th-century Russian lapidary works and feature Italian and Spanish canvases of the 16th-18th centuries, including Veronese, Tintoretto, Velázquez and Murillo.:

1A-StP-HermitageGalleries.jpg

Here is an overall view of the size and scale of St. Isaac's interior in St. Petersburg. It is the largest Russian Orthodox cathedral in this historic city and was dedicated to Saint Isaac of Dalmatia, a patron saint of Peter the Great. The cathedral took 40 years to construct, 1818 to 1858, under direction of a French architect. During Soviet rule, it was nearly destroyed and was made into a Museum of Scientific Atheism. It has been restored to its religious beauty/role. The cathedral's main dome tops out at 333 feet and is plated with pure gold.:

1A-StP-StIsaacInt.jpg

Copenhagen’s Nyhavn or “new” Harbor is actually old and charming. This waterfront entertainment district is lined by brightly colored 17th and early 18th century townhouses and bars, cafes and restaurants. Serving as a "heritage harbor", the canal also has many historical wooden ships. Lots of people and fun activity!!:

Boat.jpg

At Stockholm’s Royal Palace, the changing of the guard is one of the key highlights and is handy, close to the next-door historic old town area. :

1A-StHolm-Guards.jpg

Archived