Blu Formal Night

dinosaurdem

WRONG!!! IT IS FORMAL NIGHT - UNLESS YOU WOULD LIKE TO STAY IN YOUR STATEROOM! IT IS CALLED "FORMAL NIGHT" FOR A REASON!:eek:

From what I understand FORMAL NIGHT is only in the MDR. On our last Alaska cruise. We did not like the food in the MDR on formal nights. I did bring the clothing required to eat in the MDR, but we decided to eat elsewhere on the ship. Do I need a penguin suit to swim in the pool after 6PM on formal nights?:eek: Richard

I've been on a couple of cruises when the party was held in the evening. Never saw anyone wearing a tux, but have seen suits and sports coats. The dress code is Smart Casual or above.

The Captain's Club party used to always be in the evening but haven't seen any in the evening lately. No one did ever wear a tux because they were never on Formal Night. LOL What they call the Captain's Party is before the show on Formal Night. I think maybe that was what the poster was referencing, but I could be wrong.

The Captain's Club party used to always be in the evening but haven't seen any in the evening lately. No one did ever wear a tux because they were never on Formal Night. LOL What they call the Captain's Party is before the show on Formal Night. I think maybe that was what the poster was referencing, but I could be wrong.

The last evening Captain's Party I attended was a year or two ago. You are correct: Never on Formal Night. They've recently needed to split the party into two groups due to the large number of Selects and Elites. The top cruisers go to one to receive the flowers, wine and picture. The second and sometimes third top cruisers go to the second to receive the same. As numbers grow they may need to either limit to Elite or create an additional party. Soon we'll see how they do it on Silhouette. Have a safe journey to the ship.

The last evening Captain's Party I attended was a year or two ago. You are correct: Never on Formal Night. They've recently needed to split the party into two groups due to the large number of Selects and Elites. The top cruisers go to one to receive the flowers, wine and picture. The second and sometimes third top cruisers go to the second to receive the same. As numbers grow they may need to either limit to Elite or create an additional party. Soon we'll see how they do it on Silhouette. Have a safe journey to the ship.

Looking forward to meeting you!

What's the dress code in Blu on formal nights? What does it actually look like?

We have found that on each of our last 3 "Blu" cruises, the ratio of tuxes and dark suits has declined each time. I believe it's a function of more people understanding it's NOT required anymore as a previous poster alluded to.

I think women find it easier to blur the boundaries with a nice short dress. We do not plan on bringing any formal clothes for hubby on upcoming 14 night Eclipse trip. He will wear black chinos and black linen shirt on formal nights to not stand out either way.

Interesting side note for us is that on our Alaska cruise last May, we threw in a sport coat at the last minute because we were driving (would never have done it if flying) and we were invited to dine at the Captain's Table on formal night. Luckily they provided a tie for us when we explained that we weren't "equipped" to come.....we discusssed it for this year and decided if we should be fortunate enough to get invited again, we would simply have to decline as we have zero interest in bringing a "just in case" jacket and tie.

WRONG!!! IT IS FORMAL NIGHT - UNLESS YOU WOULD LIKE TO STAY IN YOUR STATEROOM! IT IS CALLED "FORMAL NIGHT" FOR A REASON!:eek:

Actually you are wrong, no where does it say Formal Night. The Formal now applies to the dress and not the night. Very clear in the dress code portions of the web site, therefore your entired premise is wrong.

Actually you are wrong, no where does it say Formal Night. The Formal now applies to the dress and not the night. Very clear in the dress code portions of the web site, therefore your entired premise is wrong.

You are absolutely right.Bravo!!!

I think I am confused:) So- the captains club party for returning guests is in the afternoon? But- is there a captains party the first formal night? ( like on R.C. where they hand out champagne and the captain speaks to all guests at the promenade) If so- where and when is that- can we wear our smart casual clothes? I am like some other posts- we always dress formal on past cruises but am looking forward to no formal wear this cruise. Thanks. Julie

Shooz - Interesting about the captain's table invitation. We decided last cruise to NOT do the formalwear thing. We normally are in an S1, and we opt for Blu or the specialty venues. Wouldn't you know, we got an invite to the captain's table on formal night! So we called the Captain's Club hostess and explained our situation. She said no problem, we'll just send a form to get measurements and give you a tux for free. Amazing! We just didn't want to turn down our first invitation to the captain's table, not sure if we'd ever get another one. Turns out my DH was the only one at the table in tux, the rest in suits or sport coats....

Shooz - Interesting about the captain's table invitation. We decided last cruise to NOT do the formalwear thing. We normally are in an S1, and we opt for Blu or the specialty venues. Wouldn't you know, we got an invite to the captain's table on formal night! So we called the Captain's Club hostess and explained our situation. She said no problem, we'll just send a form to get measurements and give you a tux for free. Amazing! We just didn't want to turn down our first invitation to the captain's table, not sure if we'd ever get another one. Turns out my DH was the only one at the table in tux, the rest in suits or sport coats....

Thanks for that info Claudia! We did say he had a coat but no tie so that's probably why they just gave us the tie. I wonder what kind of tux inventory they keep on hand??

Archived