Trying to Arrange a Gondilia Ride after dinner

alreadythere1

We are arriving to Venice via NCL Spirit so I am assuming we will water taxi in?? It is our 25th wedding anniversary the day we arrive and we are having dinner at Restarante Riviera, Zattere Dorsoduro by San Basillio. We can take the ferry there but I wanted to arrange a gondilia ride for the two of us after dinner that would tour the canal and maybe drop us at the water taxi for the ship if this is even possible how could I arrange this? Any suggestions in making our night memorable, please let me know.:confused:

The Gondolas have multiple locations around the city where they dock and sell their services. To get a gondola ride its just a matter of going to one of those location (like the one near St Marks Square) and negotiate a deal with the gondolier. No need for reservations.

Hank

As Hank said, no need to make reservations.

Just talk through where the gondola will take you and be sure it includes the grand canal and talk through the length of the ride so there are no misunderstandings.

Keith

Absolutely agree (as usual). Although there are set fees, everything is truly negotiable. If it is a nice evening (weather wise) you can expect to pay about 90-100 Euros. The normal ride time is about 40 minutes and you should make sure this is made clear (perhaps you can negotiate an hour for 100 Euros). One other thing we like to do is sip wine in our gondola. Before we get on a gondola we stop at any local store that sells wine (they are everywhere) and purchase a bottle of Italian wine (we often buy a decent red). We then ask the shop to pull the cork and give us a couple of wine glasses (most have cheap plastic glasses). They then put the cork back in the bottle so its easy to pull with our hands and we go find our gondola. This is a totally romantic moment. Where we disagree with Keith is about being on the Grand Canal. We prefer the smaller back canals where there are no noisy vaporettos.

Now that I have worked myself into this romantic mood I have to contend with the fact that we will again be in Venice next week. Who knows...perhaps we will be a big spender and follow our own advice :)

Hank

We are arriving to Venice via NCL Spirit so I am assuming we will water taxi in?? It is our 25th wedding anniversary the day we arrive and we are having dinner at Restarante Riviera, Zattere Dorsoduro by San Basillio. We can take the ferry there but I wanted to arrange a gondilia ride for the two of us after dinner that would tour the canal and maybe drop us at the water taxi for the ship if this is even possible how could I arrange this? Any suggestions in making our night memorable, please let me know.:confused:

A water taxi from the ship to Rest. Riviera would be about 50 Euros. If you took the people mover to Piazzal de Roma it would be a 1000 yard walk to the restaurant. After dinner it would be an easy stroll to the Accademia bridge area on the Grand Canal where you could find your gondolier. After that, you could take the No 1 Vaporetto back to the Piazzal de Roma and the people mover to the ship. I'm not sure when the tram stops so if you were late you might take a taxi back to the ship. Looks like a delightful restaurant.

A water taxi from the ship to Rest. Riviera would be about 50 Euros. If you took the people mover to Piazzal de Roma it would be a 1000 yard walk to the restaurant. After dinner it would be an easy stroll to the Accademia bridge area on the Grand Canal where you could find your gondolier. After that, you could take the No 1 Vaporetto back to the Piazzal de Roma and the people mover to the ship. I'm not sure when the tram stops so if you were late you might take a taxi back to the ship. Looks like a delightful restaurant.

Darn good advice Earl. I believe the People Mover is shut down about 11 pm and, as you said, one could always grab a land taxi back to the port. But another alternative for those that like long walks is to simply walk back to the port from the Piazale Roma (we have done it several times) which takes about 20-25 min.

Hank

• 2 weeks later...

Archived