Breakaway-How many sea days in cold waters

Evangaline

Breakaway sounds like a beautiful ship and would like to do its Caribbean cruise, but we only do southern vacations in the winter: November to February. It appears the ship does not reach its first Caribbean port, SAn Juan until Day 4, then a similar situations getting back to New York. We spend sea days at the pool and would like to take advantage of the Al Fresco restaurants on the Breakaway as well. I think this is where I will be told to wait for the Getaway out of Miami, but the thing is that it would be handy for us to just drive to NYC to board the ship, so this is the question:

How may days at sea is it from NYC before you get to a sea day where it is warm enough to either sit at the pool or do hot tub?

We have left from NYC the past two years in FEB. and have been very lucky. We have been out at the pool on the 1st sea day, beautiful weather both times but I don't think this is the norm. When leaving from NYC in the winter it can be very cold even as far down as Florida. It all depends on Mother Nature. We sail in DEC this year from NYC and hoping for a repeat of years past (fingers crossed).

We have left from NYC the past two years in FEB. and have been very lucky. We have been out at the pool on the 1st sea day, beautiful weather both times but I don't think this is the norm. When leaving from NYC in the winter it can be very cold even as far down as Florida. It all depends on Mother Nature. We sail in DEC this year from NYC and hoping for a repeat of years past (fingers crossed).

So how many days at sea to get as far as Florida? Are you there by the beginning of Day 2 or the end or not until Day 3???

We're sailing the Jewel from NYC next week and did the Spirit from NYC in January 5 years ago. Our first sea day in January things were coolish. You had to be a bit brave to go to the pools but some did. By Day 2 things were definitely warm enough as we were opposite the southern states. Same thing on the return, the only coolish day was one day out of NYC.

I just looked at the forecast for NYC for one week from today and I believe it said the high was supposed to actually be 65. I consider that pretty reasonable.

But caveat emptor, yes, you are at mercy of the weather and there are no guarantees.

So how many days at sea to get as far as Florida? Are you there by the beginning of Day 2 or the end or not until Day 3???

We were on the Jewel 2 years ago in November. If you count embarkation day as Day 1, the ship spends all of Day 2 at sea and arrives in Port Canaveral (about central FL) early on Day 3. So things warm up accordingly!

On our cruise, we did all our breakfast and lunch dining at the Great Outdoors, at the aft of the ship, and although it was a tad chilly on embarkation day out there, it was pleasant enough by Day 2 to be without a jacket. That was in mid-November.

Does anyone know if they heat the pools on NCL ships including The Breakaway? The pools were not heated on The Oasis of The Seas. We sailed in November from Fort Lauderdale and south florida was having some cool weather (by Florida standards) so the first day at sea, the water was pretty nippy.

Does anyone know if they heat the pools on NCL ships including The Breakaway? The pools were not heated on The Oasis of The Seas. We sailed in November from Fort Lauderdale and south florida was having some cool weather (by Florida standards) so the first day at sea, the water was pretty nippy.

On Jewel out of NYC pools were heated (in April)

We sailed out on the Gem in December. For a New Years cruise. Leaving NY we were layered in fleeced and a light jacket. The second day kids were swimming the pools with dad but it was too chilly for me. Our first port was Florida we had a nice day. The next day was GSC and it was warm but the water was cool. That night a cold front came through and freeze warnings were posted for Florida. In Nassau the temps were only in the low sixties with a strong cold wind. On the way to NYC we encountered high waves and cold temps. Ice was on the decks when we arrived in NY. The week before the weather was great. We also did the same trip in June and it was really windy and cool when we left NY but the rest of the cruise we had great weather.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Archived