Junkanoo Beach

travelprincess 123

I have heard many different reviews on Junkanoo Beach. Some people say it is nice and others say it is dirty and don't go there. I have also read that it is really not the ocean there. I am so confused. We will be there next month. We have a group of 12 with some little children. I don't want to take the children there if it is not clean or not safe. We are in port from 12-7. I don't think I am interested in paying $25.00 per person for the Sheraton. And Blue Lagoon doesn't work for us because of the time that we are there. I just don't know what to do when we get there. Help pleas!

We were in Nassau on Sunday and did a Segway tour that took us right by Junkanoo Beach. There was a lot of debris (tree limbs, palm fronds, sand) blown around from Hurricane Sandy, but workers were in the process of cleaning it up. The beach looked nice to me and the water there was absolutely gorgeous. There were also numerous vendors nearby selling food and drinks. It probably isn't as upscale as a beach at a resort hotel, but I would feel perfectly safe going there.

We arrived here Fri, Nov 2. There was just us 4 adults. Its a smaller beach and pretty rocky for the first 10-15 feet into the water, I really suggest water shoes. I don't know that I would bring small children though, there was small glass on the rocks, broken bottles and such. Even when I went to use the outside shower to rinse off I saw glass. I did like the little tiki restaurant with fresh fried conch and good prices on drinks. I probably would opt for the Sheraton with children.

Also, the water was chilly, we are from FL, but that water was probably about 70 degrees and everyone was dipping but not staying in very long.

I did see the segways go by, they looked like they were having fun, but its not a very pretty part of town.

Happy Sailing,

Hate to hijack the thread but how was the Segway? Was it the one that goes past the fish fry and up to the fort? We are headed out in 3 weeks and have booked that.

The wife and I did the tour in April and it was fantastic. My favorite part was packing like sardines into the old school toyota van and driving thru town to get to the area where the tour begins. I think car horns should be the national sound of the bahamas.

Really the tour was great. Our guide was Andre and he did a great job. You'll love it!

IMG_2219.jpgIMG_2220.jpg

Please, don't over think it. It will be fine. It's very friendly and clean, however Sandy may still have an impact of the beauty here. VERY nice beach area and you will be able to find a spot where you will like. Here are some pics from this Spring. Kids, adults, locals and cruisers were all there.

It is only rocky if you go past the first break wall.... fairly clean beach and beverages available as well as chair rental...

We were in front of the first break wall, and lots of rocks to get down into the water, I stepped on one about 8 inches in circumference and it hurt. Maybe Sandy washed some in? Or maybe I'm from FL and spoiled by nice beaches,:p this one in my opionion was fine for free but just an ok beach.

I have been to Nassau at least 16 times in 5 years and most recently last September, and there have never beens rocks and the area I am talking about is in front of the bathrooms, and to the right towards the ships if facing the water...

So Sandy must have washed some ashore...

Edited by Chef P

• 3 weeks later...

I was there 2 weeks ago.

They have lounge chairs (not the one in the picture - I didn't see anyone sitting in those kind while I was there) and umbrellas for rental.

I had 2 loungers and 1 umbrella, which was $30.00. For an additonal $10.00, you could also get 2 cocktails and 4 shots, but the drinks aren't worth it because they were weak as hell and tasted like straight sugar.

Edited by beachpearl

• 4 weeks later...
I was there 2 weeks ago.

They have lounge chairs (not the one in the picture - I didn't see anyone sitting in those kind while I was there) and umbrellas for rental.

I had 2 loungers and 1 umbrella, which was $30.00. For an additonal $10.00, you could also get 2 cocktails and 4 shots, but the drinks aren't worth it because they were weak as hell and tasted like straight sugar.

OK, good to know. Thanks!

• 3 months later...
I was talking about the beach in Freeport, there must be one with same name too

The beach pictured in this thread are Nassau's Junkanoo Beach.. there is one in Freeport as well.. known as Junkanoo Beach Club.

And yes, it's about 20 minutes from port by cab. I think a van service runs around $7pp.

• 4 months later...
It seems that way' date=' by looking at all the photos of Junkanoo beach[/b'] :cool::rolleyes:

The have both chairs and chaise loungers. Loungers sell out quicker than chairs.

Luckily this is not your typical lined up loungers elbow to elbow with fellow cruisers. It's much more casual (bahamian)..

Grab a chair, chaise or a towel. It's all the same. Another great day at the beach.

If you want to feel like your on a cruise ship, try balmoral island if you on carnival... chairs lined up one after another. YUCK..

Edited by tikib

The have both chairs and chaise loungers. Loungers sell out quicker than chairs.

Luckily this is not your typical lined up loungers elbow to elbow with fellow cruisers. It's much more casual (bahamian)..

Grab a chair, chaise or a towel. It's all the same. Another great day at the beach.

If you want to feel like your on a cruise ship, try balmoral island if you on carnival... chairs lined up one after another. YUCK..

I live on Long Island which is known for it's vast, beautiful beaches.

I have traveled to every Caribbean Island and visited dozens upon dozens of beaches... I know a good one from a bad beach to an ok one...

And by the photos I have seen, Junkanoo doesn't look very impressive.

Some who have visited complained about the garbage, others the glass.

But you are right, does look like a very low key beach with limited amount of vendors.

I live on Long Island which is known for it's vast' date=' beautiful beaches.

I have traveled to every Caribbean Island and visited dozens upon dozens of beaches... I know a good one from a bad beach to an ok one...

And by the photos I have seen, Junkanoo doesn't look very impressive.

Some who have visited complained about the garbage, others the glass.

But you are right, does look like a very low key beach with limited amount of vendors.[/quote']

My idea of a GREAT beach would be NO vendors, no chairs and no cruisers.

But as a FREE beach, within walking distance of the port. It certainly isn't a bad beach.

Garbage and glass comes from it's patrons.. which are Cruisers. Pick up after yourselves.