Junkanoo Beach

travelprincess 123

If that was the case' date=' why would the Sheraton, Hilton, Atlantis, Sandal, Breezes, just to name a few, offer day passes to cruisers?[/b'] :rolleyes:;):D

They charge more than enough to cover the cost of clean up. :rolleyes:

p.s. The reason Long Island beaches are so "vast" and "beautiful", is because only New Yorkers want to go there!

Had a great visit to this beach last Friday on Sensation. Yes there was glass

No one in our group had issues with it, we stayed on the near side to the ship in shaded tree grassy area, much cooler than down beach. New fat Tuesday just opened up adjacent to the beach. Had fun there and did some snorkling, grabbed a conch shell (dead) saw some fish.

Free is the key here, close by with no commitment as to a long day at the beach. Easy walk from the ship

Enjoy

Had a great visit to this beach last Friday on Sensation. Yes there was glass

No one in our group had issues with it, we stayed on the near side to the ship in shaded tree grassy area, much cooler than down beach. New fat Tuesday just opened up adjacent to the beach. Had fun there and did some snorkling, grabbed a conch shell (dead) saw some fish.

Free is the key here, close by with no commitment as to a long day at the beach. Easy walk from the ship

Enjoy

We considered sitting in shaded tree grassy area but we were unsure if it was private property or not. It's good to know that it's possible to do that.

Is the new Fat Tuesday's directly across the street from Junkanoo Beach?

It is a great beach. We were there in July. Very little glass, some sea glass, and not even much of that.

Lots of loungers or chairs, umbrellas to rent. Some great food kiosks as well as little bars. Water was great, some little rocks getting in but nothing major. Water was very clear and pretty.

We had debated for years about trying Junkanoo and now don't know what took us so long. It is probably the only beach we will go to from now on in Nassau. Nice to finally find a Free beach, with very clean bathrooms, food/drink vendors and an easy walk from the pier. Beach was also very clean and we had only one jewelry vendor come up to us the entire day. That was it.

Loved watching all the locals and tourists run and jump off the Breakwater walls. We had a blast there. I did a big review on it, if you look under by name you can find it.

It is a great beach. We were there in July. Very little glass, some sea glass, and not even much of that.

Lots of loungers or chairs, umbrellas to rent. Some great food kiosks as well as little bars. Water was great, some little rocks getting in but nothing major. Water was very clear and pretty.

We had debated for years about trying Junkanoo and now don't know what took us so long. It is probably the only beach we will go to from now on in Nassau. Nice to finally find a Free beach, with very clean bathrooms, food/drink vendors and an easy walk from the pier. Beach was also very clean and we had only one jewelry vendor come up to us the entire day. That was it.

Loved watching all the locals and tourists run and jump off the Breakwater walls. We had a blast there. I did a big review on it, if you look under by name you can find it.

I can't find your review on Junkanoo. Can you post a link to it?

I can't find your review on Junkanoo. Can you post a link to it?

They merged it with another one so it is hard to find. here it is.

Junkanoo Beach-Nassau - Great Beach!!

For everyone that wondered if Junkanoo is a good beach to spend the day at, I am telling you it is Great!!!! After many times in Nassau we decided to try Junkanoo this weekend. We loved it, and plan to go to that beach from now on when in Nassau. I will try to give you all the specifics

1. Took about 25 minutes to walk their from the cruise ship. Easy walk, sidewalks the entire way.

2. There are many vendors that rent chairs, loungers, umbrellas. Some in better shape than others. We paid $10 pp for loungers and did not get an umbrella which would have been $15. other vendors had nicer loungers and 2 loungers, umbrella and table were $40. We checked another vendor and their loungers (nice ones) were $12 pp and $15 for the umbrella. So lots to choose from. Could also rent chairs for less.

3. Bathrooms were spotless. So clean I could not believe it

4. Beach - beautiful white sand. yes, there are small rocks/pebbles as you are entering the water, but nothing major. I walked barefoot and most of the other people out there were also barefott. Saw a few with water shoes, but not many.

5. Have read many stories about glass on the beach. I think we saw 3 pieces of sea glass all day. Sea glass is not sharp and is not going to hurt you. So beach is very safe

6. Other than one lady that asked if we want to look at necklasses, no one bothered us the entire day

7. There are cops patrolling the sidewalk in front of the beach all day, so again very safe

8. Totally fun watching the locals and tourist jump of the seawall, we loved watching that all day

9. Drink prices were very reasonable-$3 for a beer and I think $7 for a frozen (big one) drink. There are 2 or 3 different bars to get drinks from

10. Food, very reasonable. The kiosk by where we sat had Jerk Chicken $6, hotdog $3, hamburger $4, Fish $7 and up. Another place had Counch Fritters 8 for $4 as well as some other food. So easy to get a quick bite. The Jerk Chicken was fantastic, some of the best sauce I have ever had. Guys makes it himself so I bought a bottle from him to bring home. Yum!

Overall, it is nice to FINALLY find a beach in Nassau that has calm, crystal clear water, clean beach, and food/drink without paying an arm and a leg to one of the resorts!

Any other questions, I will try to answer them for you.

For everyone that wondered if Junkanoo is a good beach to spend the day at, I am telling you it is Great!!!! After many times in Nassau we decided to try Junkanoo this weekend. We loved it, and plan to go to that beach from now on when in Nassau. I will try to give you all the specifics

1. Took about 25 minutes to walk their from the cruise ship. Easy walk, sidewalks the entire way.

2. There are many vendors that rent chairs, loungers, umbrellas. Some in better shape than others. We paid $10 pp for loungers and did not get an umbrella which would have been $15. other vendors had nicer loungers and 2 loungers, umbrella and table were $40. We checked another vendor and their loungers (nice ones) were $12 pp and $15 for the umbrella. So lots to choose from. Could also rent chairs for less.

4. Beach - beautiful white sand. yes, there are small rocks/pebbles as you are entering the water, but nothing major. I walked barefoot and most of the other people out there were also barefott. Saw a few with water shoes, but not many.

5. Have read many stories about glass on the beach. I think we saw 3 pieces of sea glass all day. Sea glass is not sharp and is not going to hurt you. So beach is very safe

6. Other than one lady that asked if we want to look at necklasses, no one bothered us the entire day

7. There are cops patrolling the sidewalk in front of the beach all day, so again very safe

8. Totally fun watching the locals and tourist jump of the seawall, we loved watching that all day

9. Drink prices were very reasonable-$3 for a beer and I think $7 for a frozen (big one) drink. There are 2 or 3 different bars to get drinks from

10. Food, very reasonable. The kiosk by where we sat had Jerk Chicken $6, hotdog $3, hamburger $4, Fish $7 and up. Another place had Counch Fritters 8 for $4 as well as some other food. So easy to get a quick bite. The Jerk Chicken was fantastic, some of the best sauce I have ever had. Guys makes it himself so I bought a bottle from him to bring home. Yum!

Overall, it is nice to FINALLY find a beach in Nassau that has calm, crystal clear water, clean beach, and food/drink without paying an arm and a leg to one of the resorts!

Nice review... so different from others I have read....;):rolleyes:

Did you take pictures???

Like to see them ;):)

Nice review... so different from others I have read....;):rolleyes:

Did you take pictures???

Like to see them ;):)

We didn't since we are on Majesty so much. Don't take a camera with us. We are going this weekend and I will take my phone out with me and snap a few pics of Junkanoo to post when we get back

We were there on Monday as well!!! I found it to be very nice and I don't regret it at all. It was the same strip of land you would pay for at the Hilton. There were a few rocks but nothing major (remember you get what you pay for). There was a little shack for drinks run but "Barry". He was friendly and kept the beer coming!! There was music playing which was nice too. The drinks were priced better than the ship. I didn't eat there and had intended to go to Fish Fry but lost track of time and I wasn't sure how much further the walk would be and then to get back timely so we ate at a place on the way back called "Conch Fritters". Don't stop there!!! Otherwise it was a great day. I've been to Nassau about 5 times now and it was the best day I had there.

Thanks Barry!

• 2 weeks later...

As promised, I took some pictures Sunday at Junkanoo. Hopefully, I can get them to post good.

We got there around 8:30. There was some cups, etc on the beach, but within 15 minutes of us being there, the staff was out there picking it all up, so it was good. No glass, just some sea glass like normal, but nothing to worry about getting cut on. As you can see from the pictures, there are some small rocks, but once in the water it is nice and sandy. Beach was great as last time. this time we rented fronm JYAH which is the first hut when you get to the beach. I took pictures of the cost for rentals. We had great loungers to sit on and Barry the owner is a really nice guy. Also walked over to the food huts on Junkanoo, and had the jerk chicken again. So good, I highly recommend it.

Could not figure out a different way to do this, but if you click on the link, it will take you to the pictures I took. Let me know if you have any questions

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.421991731254446.1073741826.100003308695562&type=1&l=a2d424cf59

Edited by karena1

As promised, I took some pictures Sunday at Junkanoo. Hopefully, I can get them to post good.

We got there around 8:30. There was some cups, etc on the beach, but within 15 minutes of us being there, the staff was out there picking it all up, so it was good. No glass, just some sea glass like normal, but nothing to worry about getting cut on. As you can see from the pictures, there are some small rocks, but once in the water it is nice and sandy. Beach was great as last time. this time we rented fronm JYAH which is the first hut when you get to the beach. I took pictures of the cost for rentals. We had great loungers to sit on and Barry the owner is a really nice guy. Also walked over to the food huts on Junkanoo, and had the jerk chicken again. So good, I highly recommend it.

Could not figure out a different way to do this, but if you click on the link, it will take you to the pictures I took. Let me know if you have any questions

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.421991731254446.1073741826.100003308695562&type=1&l=a2d424cf59

karena

Thanks for sharing your photos.

Nice idea the way you linked them.... Have to remember this. ;)

Beach looks clean, other than the rocks... Which is ok.

Not sure if it's necessary for water shoes. :confused:

Glad to see they do rent loungers and umbrellas.

Just wondering did you try chewing them down?

We usually do that at Cabbage Beach... 2 loungers/umbrella for $30

karena

Thanks for sharing your photos.

Nice idea the way you linked them.... Have to remember this. ;)

Beach looks clean' date=' other than the rocks... Which is ok.

Not sure if it's necessary for water shoes. :confused:

Glad to see they do rent loungers and umbrellas.

Just wondering did you try chewing them down?

We usually do that at Cabbage Beach... 2 loungers/umbrella for $30[/quote']

No need for water shoes, no one was wearing them.

Really no negotiating on the prices. But the loungers were really nice and they did include a small table. There is another vendor that rents the loungers on the other end of the beach, but hers are $12 so not much difference and she does not get there early. We waited for a while before we rented here, but she never showed up until about 10:15.

No need for water shoes, no one was wearing them.

Really no negotiating on the prices. But the loungers were really nice and they did include a small table. There is another vendor that rents the loungers on the other end of the beach, but hers are $12 so not much difference and she does not get there early. We waited for a while before we rented here, but she never showed up until about 10:15.

Big thanks for your valuable info. :)

I never understood why people hate rocks at beaches so much. Rocky shores usually equal fantastic snorkeling.

I love Iron Shore beaches! :p

I would not say there is good snorkeling there, beach is just a little pebbily. But the beach and water are gorgeous, so nice to just be able to walk there, vendors do not bother you, cops are all over the place so you know it is safe and it is FREE!!!!! That is the best part, no more paying outrageous amounts to go to a resort. Has always been my biggest complaint in Nassau. Every other island has free beaches that are wonderful. In Nassau, the resorts own the place so think you should have to pay a fortune to go and enjoy the beach. No more. Junkanoo is a great beach, spend a little more than other islands for a lounger to sit on, but it is a great day and a gorgeous place to spend the day. We will only go there from now on when we are in Nassau our 7-9 times a year.

We went there back in December and it was ok. not the best beach we have ever been to and not the worst. The beach itself was rocky but the water very beautiful. Tons of vendors and locals which was pretty cool but at the same time I hated having people come up to us every 5 mins or so or shouting at us to buy something or get our hair braided. We did enjoy it, it's free so it wasnt like we had huge expectations and we did realize it was a local hang out but this year we plan to go to the hilton.

We went there back in December and it was ok. not the best beach we have ever been to and not the worst. The beach itself was rocky but the water very beautiful. Tons of vendors and locals which was pretty cool but at the same time I hated having people come up to us every 5 mins or so or shouting at us to buy something or get our hair braided. We did enjoy it, it's free so it wasnt like we had huge expectations and we did realize it was a local hang out but this year we plan to go to the hilton.

We did not have that at all. We maybe had 3 people the entire day ask if we wanted something. That was it. Way more at other beaches we have been to, including Cabbage.

Thanks for the review! This helps us make our decision!

Thanks for the info. Last time we were in Nassau, all we did was walked around the downtown and vendor booths. We will be in Nassau in November. Will definitely go to Junkanoo!. Sounds just like what I'm looking for!

We got there around 8:30. There was some cups, etc on the beach, but within 15 minutes of us being there,

Karena

Did you walk or take a cab?

Wonder how difficult the walk will be with a young toddler?

DGD just turned 3 :)

• 1 year later...

We will be in Nassau in around about 8 days on the Sensation, and hope to visit the Junka.......beach that everyone is talking about. We plan to WALK. Good exercise. :)

Our money is very tight. What would you suggest that we seen/do that doesn't cost much?

If you cruised the Sensation, what are YOUR pros/cons of this ship?

I know they say there isn't too much to do in Freeport, but what would you suggest we see/do?

We were there Wednesday the 22nd. I was highly disappointed. Dirty beach, no at all what I had been expecting. I knew there were better beaches in Nassau. I had just read decent reviews for it. Lastly do not go to the blue building Da waters restaurant. It was over an hour before food came. It was cold, and not good. Multiple tables walked out with barely touched food. Trust me on that!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums