San Francisco Excursion Pre-Cruise & Hotel

OceanNerd

Hi All! This will be our first Princess Cruise and we are very excited to be taking the 10 day Alaska cruise out of San Francisco (June 9, 2013). One of the reasons we chose SF over Seattle was proximity to Muir Woods and the great redwoods.

I have found several tours that will include Muir Woods such as the Hop On/Hop Off tours, but there is also a great sounding SF excursion offered by Princess. Does anyone have any experience on the ability to book an excursion with the cruise line prior to cruise departure?

We plan on arriving in SF Friday night for our Sunday departure.

Also, any guidance on hotel (choice or area) would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for all the great advice I look forward to!!:)

We are also excited for this cruise out of SF in July. Have you gone to the Cruise Personalizer at Princess.com to view your excursions? The excursions for Alaska ports are open for booking now. San Francisco post-cruise excursions may only be available for booking on board.

As for hotels, Princess uses the Intercontinental Mark Hopkins hotel. I usually stay away from the cruise hotels because of the high price, but in this case, the hotel together with the transfers seems to be a good buy and comparable with the hotel rates in the city. Still, I am going to begin bidding for a Priceline hotel and try for a bargain. I have the Courtyard Marriott booked at Fisherman's Wharf as my backup cancelable booking in case that doesn't work out. A search of this forum will reveal several hotels recommended. Fisherman's Wharf seems to be a popular area for tourists, followed by Union Square.

Happy planning!:)

if it is july, be sure to try to arrive at muir woods early..it gets crowded. or be adventurous and rent a car and drive south to big basin state park.. plenty of redwoods...great day trip. (about 1-2 hours to drive there).be sure and bring coats and hats for sf in july. it is cold (high will be 60).

If you don't want to rent a car for 1 day to drive out to Muir Woods then this is one of the tour companies that is very popular for folks to use:

http://www.extranomical.com/

I don't know how their prices compare to the Princess excursion prices but DH and I usually prefer to use local companies that sometimes offer smaller groups.

The area near Fisherman's Wharf or the area near Union Square are popular with first time visitors to San Francisco. We now prefer staying in one of the more residential neighborhoods(Japantown) but it is probably easier to get to sights from the other 2 locations that have been mentioned.

We stayed at the Tuscan Inn in 2006 and loved it...great location and decent price. Stayed there for 5 nights, then had to move to a Hilton (I think) because our ship was a day late.

Love San Francisco...went by ship excursion to Muir Woods the last time I was there...great time!

It looks like there are a couple of big conventions in San Francisco the week before your cruise. I know from experience here in San Diego that folks who attend these conventions often come early and stay on afterwards so you might want to book something that you can cancel now. As time gets closer you can always cancel and rebook if you find something better!

It looks like there are a couple of big conventions in San Francisco the week before your cruise. I know from experience here in San Diego that folks who attend these conventions often come early and stay on afterwards so you might want to book something that you can cancel now. As time gets closer you can always cancel and rebook if you find something better!

Thanks for the heads up. I do have the Courtyard Marriott Fisherman's Wharf booked, and I am glad that I've already taken your advice.;). I imagine that big conventions in town that week are going to reduce my chances of a winning bid on a room.

Thanks for all the great info! Especially the warning about the conventions in town. We will be trying to book a hotel soon so that we will at least have a room near our desired location (now if we could just figure that part out! LOL)

I think we may choose the City Sightseeing (hop on/hop off) tours to get out to Muir Woods. They seem to be pretty inexpensive and I enjoyed my experience with them while traveling in Malta.

Keep the info coming!!! :D

We stayed at the Tuscan Inn in 2006 and loved it...great location and decent price. Stayed there for 5 nights, then had to move to a Hilton (I think) because our ship was a day late.

Love San Francisco...went by ship excursion to Muir Woods the last time I was there...great time!

Unfortunately, the Tuscan Inn is sold out for our stay :(

Unfortunately, the Tuscan Inn is sold out for our stay :(

I pulled these over from the other thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1704459 ... there are others listed on the thread, but thought this would help to start:

Found the following info on Fisherman's Wharf Hotels HERE:

http://www.fishermanswharf.org/visit.aspx?q=10039&c=1

Argonaut Hotel

Address: 495 Jefferson Street San Francisco, CA 94109

Phone: (415) 563-0800

Email: talktous@argonauthotel.com

Throughout history, travelers and thrill seekers have set sail for California in a quest for the vibrant, bustling port of San Francisco . The deluxe, 4-Diamond Argonaut Hotel, perched on the edge of the Bay, creates a unique, luxurious and lively experience in the style of the San Francisco waterfront of the early 1900’s. The SF Maritime National Historical Park’s 10,000 square foot Visitors Center and Interactive Museum is located on the Lobby Level as well as the award-winning Blue Mermaid Chowder House and Bar.

Best Western Plus Tuscan Inn on Fisherman's Wharf

Address: 425 North Point Street San Francisco, CA 94133

Phone: (800) 648-4626

Email: sales@tuscaninn.com

A unique full-service European style hotel in the heart of Fisherman’s Wharf, featuring complimentary coffee/tea/biscotti every morning and manager’s wine reception every evening.

Courtyard Marriott Fisherman's Wharf

Address: 580 Beach Street San Francisco, CA 94133

Phone: (415) 775-3800

This San Francisco Fisherman's Wharf hotel features our new lobby with inviting, flexible spaces to work or relax in, free Wi-Fi throughout, and easy access to the latest news, weather, and airport conditions via our GoBoard. The highlight of our new lobby experience is The Bistro - Eat. Drink. Connect., which provides guests with healthy food and beverage offerings in the morning and The Market for 24/7 food and beverage options. This hotel near downtown San Francisco is also conveniently located two miles from Moscone Convention Center. We offer a well-equipped fitness center, 24-hour business center, and boarding pass printing service. BART, San Francisco Cable Cars, and the F-Line Market Street Railway access is nearby. Your stay at Courtyard Fisherman's Wharf is sure to be more comfortable, more productive, and more enjoyable than ever before.

Hilton Fisherman's Wharf

Address: 2620 Jones Street San Francisco, CA 94133

Phone: (415) 885-4700

E-mail: Diana_ng@hilton.com

Hilton San Francisco Fisherman's Wharf is conveniently located within walking distance to famous San Francisco attractions such as; PIER 39, the Wharf Sea Lions, Alcatraz Cruises, the Cable Car Turn-Around, and Ghirardelli Square. The hotel is a short walk to nearby Chinatown, North Beach, renowned restaurants and just a short distance from San Francisco’s business, shopping and theatre districts. Our guests enjoy great access to San Francisco’s famous Cable Cars and streetcars. These historic systems allow for inexpensive, convenient and fun transportation options to other parts of the city. The hotel offers meeting and banquet facilities for groups up to 80 people.

Holiday Inn Express

Address: 550 North Point St., San Francisco, CA 94133

Phone: 415-409-4600

Website: http://www.hiexpress.com/hotels/us/e...np/hoteldetail

Holiday Inn at Fishermans Wharf

Address: 1300 Columbus Avenue San Francisco, CA 94133

Phone: 415-771-9000 Toll-free: 800-942-7348

An exciting choice among San Francisco hotels near Fisherman’s Wharf. Perfectly blending nostalgic charm and modern excitement, Holiday Inn San Francisco Fisherman's Wharf is an ideal option. Our full-service hotel provides comfort and service as classic as the City by the Bay. Stay at our deluxe hotel near the city's most celebrated shops, attractions, and restaurants. Delight in unforgettable San Francisco vacations as you savor the delicious aromas of saltwater and sweet taffy filling the air. Experience Holiday Inn's renowned service in one of the world's most popular settings.

Hyatt at Fisherman's Wharf

Address: 555 North Point Street San Francisco, CA 94133

Phone: (415) 563-1234

E-mail: sales@sfofwpo.hyatt.com

Located steps from the Powell and Mason Cable Car line in the heart of the spectacular waterfront, 313 Guest Rooms and Suites, Knuckles at the Wharf (sports-friendly bar and grill), Enoteca Musto (wine lounge), 19,000 square feet of meeting space, heated outdoor Swimming Pool/Jacuzzi, Fitness Center, Business Center and Concierge Services.

Radisson Hotel Fisherman's Wharf

Address: 250 Beach Street San Francisco, CA 94133

Phone: (415) 392-6700

E-mail: rhi_sffw@radisson.com

The Radisson is surrounded by San Francisco's most popular waterfront attractions and faces the San Francisco Bay. Conveniently located for visiting Pier 39, the world famous Cable Cars, and Ghirardelli Square. Some guest rooms feature balconies overlooking a garden courtyard and an outdoor pool. The best unobstructed panoramic view of the San Francisco Bay and Alcatraz Island can be seen from our Bayview rooms. The hotel features a heated outdoor pool year-round, a newly renovated 24-hour workout facility, a business center, on-site parking, concierge services, same-day valet laundry services and complimentary wireless Internet access.

Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf

Address: 2500 Mason Street San Francisco, CA 94133

Phone: (415) 362-5500 Toll Free: (800) 325-3535

Sheraton Fisherman’s Wharf has introduced a fresh new look to San Francisco ’s most popular neighborhood with a light-hearted sophistication and colorful décor. Get connected with free Wi-Fi in our unique lobby lounge and outdoor living room with fire pits, while indulging in sushi and your favorite martini at Spressi. Relax with a swim in the outdoor pool, re-energize at our new Sheraton Fitness®, and stay fresh in a modern and bright guest room complete with a Sheraton Sweet Sleeper(SM) Bed. At Sheraton Fisherman’s Wharf you’ll receive a welcome unlike any other. Because you don’t just stay here … you belong.

The Wharf Inn

Address: 2601 Mason Street San Francisco, CA 94133

Phone: (415) 673-7411 Toll Free: (877) 275-7889

The Wharf Inn is located in the heart of Fisherman's Wharf. Walk to world-famous restaurants, sample the "catch of the day," browse through dozens of colorful shops at historic Ghiradelli Square and The Cannery. Just steps to the world famous cable cars. Within a short distance of the financial district. Amenities include Free Parking 51 Spacious guest rooms, Completely Non-Smoking Hotel, Complimentary Coffee and Newspapers, Free High Speed Internet and more!

• 2 months later...

We are coming into SF 3 nights before our cruise on QV on Feb 3, 13. We used Wotif to get good cheap accommodation. Viator is one of the best tour companies we have found - we are thinking of doing the Napa Valley Wine tour.

• 1 month later...
Thanks everyone for the info! My wonderful travel agent found us a great deal and we are now booked on our hotel and have our "day trip" to see the Muir Woods booked.

Can Not Wait!!!

Two things scratched off your to-do list!:). Just curious - which hotel and day trip did you book?

We switched our Courtyard Marriott Precruise stay to the Tuscan Inn, as it became available and they had a good AAA discount. I am still going to try for a priceline room to see if I can save some money. We booked our Muir Woods-Sausalito-SF City Tour with Dylan's Tours, as they were highly recommended on Tripadvisor, and the price was right.:)

We booked the Mark Hopkins with the cruiseline one night post-cruise.

When we were in SF pre-cruise, we stayed at the Tuscan and snagged a a great two room corner suite - really nice. They serve wine in the early evening in the lobby area, nice touch. There's a Trader Joe's around the corner if you need snacks or wine, etc. Post cruise, we stayed at the Mark Hopkins for two nights. Be sure to taek the elevator to the Top of the Mark just before sunset and have a drink - the view of SF is breath taking.

FYI, we booked wine country and Yosemite through Extranomical, good tours.

Darcy

We will be at the Embassy Suites... It's a little out of the way but has a shuttle to Union Square and other points of interest around the city which will eliminate car rental. Basically it came down to price over convenience for us.

Our tour is the SF-Muir Woods-Saulsalito Deluxe City Tour through the Viatour group. All we have left on our list is to book our flights and cruise excursions!!

I guess it really isn't that long until our trip!!! YAY!!

Archived